Playing Downloaded Movies/TV Shows On Non Smart TV

Discussion in 'Mobile Phones and Media Players' started by Intimidator88, Apr 16, 2015.

1. Intimidator88
    OP

Intimidator88 GBAtemp Fan

Sep 7, 2008
    United States
    Virginia
    Hello all! I am wondering how i can play downloaded movies and TV shows on my non smart HD TV? I have a bunch of these downloaded onto my Desktop computer so is there an device that would allow me to access it through the network and play it on my TV? Maybe the Roku or Chromecast would suit my needs?

2. Tomato Hentai

Tomato Hentai snart

Oct 30, 2014
    Canada
    actually north korea. please send help
    Connect your computer to your TV via HDMI and use your TV as a monitor, drag the player you use onto the TV monitor.
    Or a PS3+a media server like Plex could work, too. And that might work with a PS4 too, I don't know, though. I don't have one.

3. Intimidator88
    OP

Sep 7, 2008
    United States
    Virginia

Problem is that my Desktop and TV are not in the same room so that would be alittle troubleson to do. I just need something that would be able to access files from my Desktop and play them on my TV wireless through the network. I didn't think of the PS3...Maybe i could try that and see if it works

4. WatchGintama

WatchGintama GBAtemp Maniac

Feb 22, 2009
    United States
    Find an old PC you can repurpose as an HTPC. For local media, the roku, chromecast, android sticks are not worth it at all. I know this because I wasted money on these. Chromecast/roku is more about streaming netflix and other services.

If you have a console with DLNA, try http://www.universalmediaserver.com/comparison/ (better than PS3 media server).

Tomato Hentai likes this.
  5. Tomato Hentai

Tomato Hentai snart

Oct 30, 2014
    Canada
    I see. But yeah, try the PS3 media server thing. If that doesn't work, you could always but these on an external hard drive and plug that into your PS3.

6. FAST6191

FAST6191 Techromancer

pip Reporter
    Nov 21, 2005
    For what it is worth I have yet to see a smart TV I really rate for anything beyond netflix/some streaming service it supports.

If I don't need those fancy services (and they are available on everything else) then I quite like raspberry pis and XBMC/kodi. It will happily fetch files over SMB/windows shares, if they are MKV, MP4, AVI and standard scene style H264 or xvid then it will do it all day long.

WatchGintama and Tomato Hentai like this.
  7. WatchGintama

WatchGintama GBAtemp Maniac

Feb 22, 2009
    United States
    Raspberry Pi works great too. Make sure you get the Raspberry Pi 2 though. I have the regular B model and it works fine, but a lot slower than the 2.
    But the Pi doesn't play 10-bit files (anime) so I had to get an HTPC.

8. FAST6191

FAST6191 Techromancer

pip Reporter
    Nov 21, 2005
    Wonder if the anime crowd will see sense and drop the 10 bit stuff.... wonder if I could make some kind of transcoder a la some of the old DVD shrinking software.

Foxi4 and Tomato Hentai like this.
  9. The Real Jdbye

The Real Jdbye Always Remember 30/07/08

GBAtemp Patron
    The Real Jdbye is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Mar 17, 2010
    Norway
    Alola
    The Raspberry Pi 2 makes for a awesome little cheap media player. You can use it for emulation too, and even stream PC games to it from your desktop via limelight if you have a nvidia card. Limelight uses Nvidia GameStream, the same thing Nvidia Shield uses. I tried it on my Android phone and it works surprisingly well on my local wifi, it's damn near flawless.

10. Depravo

Depravo KALSARIKÄNNIT

Global Moderator
    GBAtemp Patron
    Depravo is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Oct 13, 2008
    Purgatory
    I'll also vouch for the Raspberry Pi 2 running Kodi. I recommend OpenELEC.

11. Intimidator88
    OP

Sep 7, 2008
    United States
    Virginia
    Well my PS3 did the trick! I installed the PS3 Media Server onto my desktop and it allowed my PS3 to access my desktop with ease!

12. insidexdeath

insidexdeath .

Apr 13, 2010
    Chromecast if you have a smartphone would be an ideal choice for you.

13. GreatCrippler

GreatCrippler Greatness Fallen

Mar 27, 2010
    United States
    I got my parents a cheap DvD player that has a usb input to watch AVI and MP4 files.

14. nl255

nl255 GBAtemp Addict

Apr 9, 2004
    I personally use a GameStick with the dock as that plus SPMC (hint: install the custom firmware which gives you a full Android system including the Play Store) has worked with everything I have thrown at it. SPMC is just a port of Kodi to Android with some extra patches that didn't make it into the main tree but it works well and is one of the few Android media players that includes built in support for SMB with no custom kernel or tricks like ES File Explorer uses.

The only catch is that Netflix will not be in HD due to not supporting whatever DRM is required for that. Though you can find older versions of Netflix patched to run at HD on such devices.

15. Tomato Hentai

Tomato Hentai snart

Oct 30, 2014
    Canada
    DVD shrinker?
    I have a shrunken DVD!
    [​IMG]
    Oh wait...

16. Sychophantom

Sychophantom I'm a plant.

Mar 7, 2008
    United States
    Born on the Bayou
    I have an older Roku that can play from USB. It's one of the few devices I have that can play MKV files from usb without a need to re-encode. Everything else streams well either through an xbox360 or PS3.

However, I watch more things at work than at home, and my HP Stream 7 (Win8.1 tablet) runs Kodi rather well, and handles everything without a stutter.

17. nxwing

nxwing GBAtemp Addict

Jul 22, 2013
    Philippines
    The Capital
    I also have a non Smart HD TV that has HDMI ports. I bought one of those USB to HDMI cables and it works great!