Playing backups with newest "hack"

Discussion in 'PS3 - Hacking & Homebrew' started by xraven13, Jan 8, 2011.

Jan 8, 2011
  1. xraven13
    OP

Member xraven13 GBAtemp Regular

Croatia
    Hi everyone... [​IMG] So I was thinking there should be a thread about this... Keep discussion about playing backups here ^^..
    Note that this have nothing with Jailbreak so all my questions are about the new hack...

1) So I was wondering now that we have those famous keys, how hard is to make that PS3 can run backups ? How much time it should take ?

2) Also, should I get Jailbreaked ISO files or normal ISO files ? Should they both work ?

3) Once we will be able to play backups, will there be still some problems with running individual games or everything will run perfectly once we have the ability to run backups ?

2. Rydian

Member Rydian Resident Furvertâ„¢

Cave Entrance, Watching Cyan Write Letters
    United States
    1 - As long as it takes somebody to make a backup launcher. Feel free to make one yourself, most of these hacks and tools are open-source.

2 - Depends on the launcher.

3 - Depends on the launcher.

3. xraven13
    OP

Croatia
    Thanks.

Okay so following the earlier question, what is exactly difference between normal backups and Jailbreak backups ?
    Is there some kinda tool that can easiely convert normal ISO to JB ISO or it is not so trivial ?

4. DaMummy

Member DaMummy GBAtemp Maniac

United States
    iso is basically a compressed and rared up set of files, to extract the use, use apps like MagicISO, which will extract anything thats on the iso, and youll get exactly what you would get when getting a JB release

5. doyama

Member doyama GBAtemp Maniac

United States
    PS3 games are rarely released as ISO images. ISO images are only useful if you want to burn to a physical media. Since it's not possible to burn BluRay games and get them to work, ISO images are somewhat useless. Most groups release them as a flat directory structure which is easier to then copy to your internal or external hard drive.

6. xraven13
    OP

Croatia
    So JB version is basically a flat directory structure ? Okay [​IMG].. Then it must work..

7. xraven13
    OP

Croatia
    Anyway, I was wondering is it possible to make a tool that will sign the game ?
    Asking this because right now all backups are unsigned so I don't want to start downloading if I will not able to sign them after easiely...

8. Rydian

United States
    It's not so much that they're unsigned, but that they expect to be run from the BD drive and not the harddrive, so backup launchers have to make some redirects and crap in memory to get them to run properly.

9. xraven13
    OP

Croatia
    So what you suggest ? Should I download or wait ?

EDIT : but on some warez forums there are already "signed" backups s:..

10. Rydian

United States
    Just wait. Takes time for people to develop good stuff.