Ben_j

OP
Trophies
Website
www.nintendo-gamers.net
XP
Country
France
So, with the Steam summer sales, I got all 3 Assassin's Creed for under 30€. It was the occasion for me to finally pay for two games that I extensively played in the last two years (AC2 and Brotherhood), and discover the multiplayer of Assassin's Creed Brotherhood.

But it's also the occasion to discover Assassin's Creed, the first game, that I never managed to get into. It's even more difficult when you're used to the gameplay, diversity and quality of the two other games.

It lacks a lot of features. The cities also feel less diversified than Venice, Rome or Florence.
unsure.gif

Nevertheless, I'm enjoying it, and the story is entertaining.

EDIT : oh and it's such a shame that they waited Brotherhood to give you the possibility of keeping the original English voice acting with French subtitles. The French version is far from great...

Guild McCommunist

(not on boat)
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Altair is just a really boring character. He shows really no development and is just a stereotypical "wanna-be badass". He's too serious to be a super badass (think Dante, Travis Touchdown, etc) and too "overly cool" to be a serious character.

The first Assassin's Creed is decently fun and I played it after playing AC2. It definitely shows how far the series has come, though.

The ending is retarded though. Assassin's Creed games seem to be able to do a relatively good job of building up to a good finale and then having some completely retarded plot twist that really destroys it. I wish they ditched this whole "memories" thing and just followed a story about some Renaissance-era assassin or a Crusades era assassin. Or just set the entire series in modern day (we had sorta-levels where you did Assassin's Creed shit with Desmond).

myuusmeow

Trophies
Website
google.com
XP
Country
United States
AC1 is definitely worth a playthrough, even afterwards imo.

I beat AC1 before I played AC2, and they are quite different, but AC1 is still fun, after I beat AC2 I went back to AC1 to get some more achievements and didn't really mind the "downgrade"

machomuu

Drops by occasionally
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Guild McCommunist said:
Altair is just a really boring character. He shows really no development and is just a stereotypical "wanna-be badass". He's too serious to be a super badass (think Dante, Travis Touchdown, etc) and too "overly cool" to be a serious character.
I still liked Altair way more than Ezio, he's part of the reason I still haven't beaten AC2. So far I like AC1 the most.

machomuu

Drops by occasionally
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
KirbyBoy said:
The only thing with Ezio I don't like is that I think it's time for someone else to take the show.
No doubt, I mean if Desmond is supposed to take on the Persona of several different assassins and Ezio was in 3 game, well, I smell milk in the series' future.

Hells Malice

Are you a bully?
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Guild McCommunist said:
The ending is retarded though. Assassin's Creed games seem to be able to do a relatively good job of building up to a good finale and then having some completely retarded plot twist that really destroys it. I wish they ditched this whole "memories" thing and just followed a story about some Renaissance-era assassin or a Crusades era assassin. Or just set the entire series in modern day (we had sorta-levels where you did Assassin's Creed shit with Desmond).

Yeah screw this whole "depth" thing. Why intertwine several interesting stories when they could just loosely string together a bunch of random games with no coherent center of plot?
Fantastic!

Games with bad storylines are rotting your judgement of them.

Nathan Drake

Obligations fulfilled, now I depart.
Trophies
XP
Country
I enjoy that they ditched Altair. I found him to be a dry and lacking character. Ezio has so much about him that just makes him a character you want to play as. A charismatic character really helps to pull you in as you want to learn more about them. No part of the Ezio storyline has felt unnecessary either. Ezio's entire life was filled with events important to Desmond's knowledge. Ezio was likely one of the more skilled assassins too for so much time having been spent on him.

I'm curious to see where the series ends up in a couple of games though. At the end of AC2, Desmond really starts picking up on the abilities of his ancestors. With Brotherhood and the next AC game, I would love to see where it all ends up. There certainly can't be too many more games in the main series, otherwise it will begin to feel incredibly drawn out.

I also just didn't like the first AC game much even when it was the only one available. The missions in that game are so damn repetitive, and the game doesn't even do a good job of hiding the fact that you are essentially doing the same thing time and time again. AC2 was a vast improvement over the first game. I was impressed with how far they had come from the first to the second game.

Ben_j

OP
Trophies
Website
www.nintendo-gamers.net
XP
Country
France
I like Ezio more. Altair looks like a tool for the moment. There's nothing much about him. The few informations about him I learned so far were revealed quite akwardly and I don't feel like learning more about him

Guild McCommunist

(not on boat)
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hells Malice said:
Guild McCommunist said:

Yeah screw this whole "depth" thing. Why intertwine several interesting stories when they could just loosely string together a bunch of random games with no coherent center of plot?
Fantastic!

Games with bad storylines are rotting your judgement of them.

You think that Crisis Core had a better story than Mass Effect. Your argument is invalid.

I just think it's completely retarded that they try to incorporate aliens and sci-fi technology in a game about PARKOURING around the ye olde times. When I (SPOILER ALERT) boxed an ATHEIST POPE and then encountered an ALIEN IN THE VATICAN, I kinda facepalmed and sighed. I don't mind if they combine the stories.

It's like Indiana Jones. It's all fun and everything until they start incorporating aliens.

Jamstruth

Secondary Feline Anthropomorph
Trophies
XP
Country
Guild McCommunist said:
I just think it's completely retarded that they try to incorporate aliens and sci-fi technology in a game about PARKOURING around the ye olde times. When I (SPOILER ALERT) boxed an ATHEIST POPE and then encountered an ALIEN IN THE VATICAN, I kinda facepalmed and sighed. I don't mind if they combine the stories.

It's like Indiana Jones. It's all fun and everything until they start incorporating aliens.
The idea is that Desmond is at the centre of it all. He's the last descendant of Altair and Ezio (2 of the order's greatest Assassins and leaders and both of whom having contact with the Apple). The Roman Gods are kind of aliens but not really... they created our world so they are really gods they just don't say they are gods. When these gods interact with Ezio they are really talking to Desmond as well as giving Ezio some insight into why he needs to fight against the Templars (as if he needed more reason). Its all leading up to the end of the world in 2012 when the last game will be released to coincide with the supposed apocalypse.

In the 1st game Desmond seems completely arbitrary and useless. His plot seemed to have nothing to do with what was going on in the ANimus until the very end. Even then you'd rather have spent more time as Altair. In ACII they addressed this significantly. Desmond was suddenly a part of the resistance and had another reason to be in the ANimus: To learn to fight (though quite how his Hidden Blade will be useful against machine guns and stab-proof vests is yet to be seen). The world outside the Animus had a lot better connection to the story within the Animus. They also cut the amount of time spent with Desmon just wandering around doing bugger-all to a complete minimum.

I love the AC games but AC1 is definitely my least favourite. The missions are all the same, guards have motion based senses that mean you have to walk by them really slowly. Its just a bit urgh. Been meaning to play through it again mind, would rather try the Director's Cut edition that was released for PC though to add some extra variety.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    I don't trust the free ones, but ipvanish I've used for couple years now, n like
  • Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo:
    I wonder if they could get CPUs to run that hot then use the heat to power a steam turbine to power the CPUs....
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Good idea, or at least power the GPU
    It's not the movies or games downloads that I would worry about, like breaking into networks, downloading encrypted things, spying on network traffic. I have seen so many "Top Secret" seals on files when I was a kid
    I was obsessed with finding UFOs, a surprising amount of US files where stashed on computers in other countries, China back in the early 90s omg sooo much
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Yea that crazy, I've never tried hack into anything, I just pirate, and my ISP have send me 3-4 letters, so had to VPN it
    Ship to ship communication software for the Navy although without access to the encrypting chips it was mostly useless
    I bet now a 4090 could probably crack it? Hmmm maybe not even back then I'm pretty sure they where using like 1024 bit encryption
    Yayyy the one set finished 324GBs lol
    Compressed....
    I wonder how many years that would have taken on a 56K modem lol
    18000 hours lol
    750 days lol
    +1
    So Internet is very much faster now lol
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    "Time Remaining- 2 years, 9 girlfriends, 6 hairstyles, please standby..."
    +1
    I remember one time I downloaded like a 500MB ISO file on 56K and that literally took like 2 days
    I had some sort of resume thing, I remember the software had chains
    Damned if I can't remember.the name though
    Some sort of download management app
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Ok good chatting, I'm off to the bar, to shoot some pool, nighty night.
    +1
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    hey psi
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    i call your girl lyndon the way she b on my johnson
    BakerMan @ BakerMan: i call your girl lyndon the way she b on my johnson