Pirate Digitanks Today To Protest SOPA

Gahars

Bakayaro Banzai
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
He's encouraging piracy, not giving away the game. You may have the physical files, but you don't have the rights to own them.
He made the torrent, he's hosting the torrent, he's probably seeding the torrent at this moment in time.

Seriously, it's just a giveaway labelled as 'pirating' - It probably would be pirating if getting it from another source.

I understand that. That's what everyone believes. That's what I believe. All I'm saying is, that's not how the law will see it. All the more reason to take down PIPA, no?

How will taking down PIPA (a proposed bill that is not in effect) change the current laws that you say make this illegal?

If it is illegal now, PIPA failing will not change that in any way, shape, or form.

notmeanymore

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
He's encouraging piracy, not giving away the game. You may have the physical files, but you don't have the rights to own them.
He made the torrent, he's hosting the torrent, he's probably seeding the torrent at this moment in time.

Seriously, it's just a giveaway labelled as 'pirating' - It probably would be pirating if getting it from another source.

I understand that. That's what everyone believes. That's what I believe. All I'm saying is, that's not how the law will see it. All the more reason to take down PIPA, no?

How will taking down PIPA (a proposed bill that is not in effect) change the current laws that you say make this illegal?

If it is illegal now, PIPA failing will not change that in any way, shape, or form.
Did I ever say current laws? I said "the law." That's effectively vague enough to not need your argument.

Gahars

Bakayaro Banzai
Trophies
XP
Country
United States

Did I ever say current laws? I said "the law." That's effectively vague enough to not need your argument.

Yes, essentially. You are saying that the laws as they are right now (Which is what "The Law" refers to ) will view what the developer is doing as illegal. PIPA, SOPA, or any other hypothetical changes to the law in the future are irrelevant.

loco365

Trophies
XP
*downloads*

This is a unique stance to standing up to piracy and SOPA. Kudos to him.

EDIT: Here's the readme if anyone is interested:
DIGITANKS 1.2.1 - http://digitanks.com/

PIRATED BY VINO - http://vinoisnotouzo.com/

This copy of Digitanks is a pirate version uploaded by me, the game's creator,
on January 18, 2012, otherwise known as Internet Blackout Day, as a protest
against SOPA and PIPA.

Please contact your local representative and complain about this horrible
legislation.

CONTENTS

Windows - digitanks-1.2.1.exe
Linux x64 - digitanks-1.2.1.tgz
Source code - https://github.com/BSVino/Digitanks

notmeanymore

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Yes, essentially. You are saying that the laws as they are right now (Which is what "The Law" refers to ) will view what the developer is doing as illegal. PIPA, SOPA, or any other hypothetical changes to the law in the future are irrelevant.
Or the law could refer to SOPA/PIPA, or the law could refer to police, or the law could refer to government as a whole. As I said, vague. And I'm not sure if what the developer is doing is illegal, but "piracy" of this type could be misconstrued as illegal.

I'm well and truly tired of this argument, started over a hypothetical. If you continue to take it as more than such, you'll be ignored. Good day sir.

Zarcon

.:~Enigmatic Wanderer~:.
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
If the owner of the software is promoting piracy by offering up their own game, hosted on their own server, linked on their own site, then it's not really piracy anymore.

If the law, any law, sees this as piracy then they'd have to fine the distributor as well since they'd be super easy to catch in this case.
Fining the developer for offering up his own game "illegally" so that others may pirate it.

Can you see how silly that is?

Lots of indie groups have done the whole "Pirate my game/music/whatever" thing before too.
You can call it piracy all you want, but if you're the one handing out the product that you own and created it's not piracy, it's just a giveaway.

Gahars

Bakayaro Banzai
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Or the law could refer to SOPA/PIPA, or the law could refer to police, or the law could refer to government as a whole. As I said, vague. And I'm not sure if what the developer is doing is illegal, but "piracy" of this type could be misconstrued as illegal.

It can't refer to SOPA/PIPA, because they aren't law. It's obvious from your posts that you were not referring to the police or the government; even if you were, SOPA and/or PIPA would still be irrelevant.

And someone willingly giving a product they own away through the internet is far from illegal, and the government has never (to the best of knowledge) even considered prosecuting anyone for it. This isn't all that uncommon, especially in the music industry (For example, Weird Al giving away "You're Pitiful" on his website when he discovered he couldn't include it on his album).

Reactions: 1 person

Mindzpeed

Trophies
XP
Country
Peru
I bet the government doesn't care about this since this isn't piracy. Poor dev, giving away his game for the sake of the internet, he's my hero.

Reactions: 2 people

notmeanymore

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
If the owner of the software is promoting piracy by offering up their own game, hosted on their own server, linked on their own site, then it's not really piracy anymore.

If the law, any law, sees this as piracy then they'd have to fine the distributor as well since they'd be super easy to catch in this case.
Fining the developer for offering up his own game "illegally" so that others may pirate it.

Lots of indie groups have done the whole "Pirate my game/music/whatever" thing before too.
You can call it piracy all you want, but if you're the one handing out the product that you own and created it's not piracy, it's just a giveaway.
Thank you for being the only person who provided a logical argument and wasn't a dick about it.

MasterPenguin

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Canada

Thank you for being the only person who provided a logical argument and wasn't a dick about it.

It doesn't help that your post was trollbait.

gloweyjoey

who??
Trophies
XP
Country
United States

The two others that responded to you provided (the same)logical arguments and were not dicks about it,until you acted like a stuborn troll.

This is just how the Dev has chosen to make their statement about the issue, and I commend that.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    OctoAori20 @ OctoAori20: Nice nice-