Piracy not a crime in European Union

Veho

The man who cried "Ni".
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
Croatia
I got what you were saying, but the joke was too good to miss.

And the police enforce the law. That means, they make sure it's obeyed, by force if neccessairy.

Veho

The man who cried "Ni".
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
Croatia
The police enforce the law, they don't enforce piracy. Enforcing piracy would mean they make people use pirate software (on pain of pain).

Icarus

fire walk with me
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Did anyone actually get into trouble from pirating ever ?
Everyone downloads their music or movies from the internet, there's absolutly nothing they can do about this.

adgloride

Its A Wii Wario
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Fitting a mod chip or modifying a console in anyway is still illegal. This you need in order to run pirate software. I don't know if this counts for things like the R4 which you don't need to modify anything at all.

Bowser128

King Koopa
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Am I reading something different to everyone else here?

From what I can see, the proposed directive is just to make 'for-profit piracy' prosecution uniformly harsh throughout the EU. It says piracy for private use is excluded from the directive, as they have no plans to make it any more harsh, or to impose any EU wide measures against it. They aren't proposing decriminalisation, they are just making clear that current legislation on 'private use piracy' is not something they want to change in their directive.

Did anyone actually get into trouble from pirating ever ?

Actually yes, recently there were quite a few legal cases (and subsequent massive fines) against some Limewire users.

ishin

Sarig
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
And it piracy IS illegal >_> Here in the Netherlands anyway.
Why else would almost all dvd's feature an intro mentioning the 160.000 euro fine ( somewhere in that direction anyway ) you'll get for piracy

MaHe

one lazy schmo
OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Slovenia
Interesting enough, piracy isn't illegal in Slovenia. We do have a Anti-Piracy Association, but it's just a bunch of morons making lawsuits and stuffing the profits in their pocket (if they win lawsuits, anyways). In short - they don't do any good.

thegame07

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Maybe they will ban DVD/CD writers or basically anything that can copy media of any type....

Problem solved.

Or... not?

Dvd writers and cd writers are not just made to burn illegal stuff.
unsure.gif
Lets just say the gbatemp members wish to put thier song on a cd. Now you sayed they might ban writers i dont think so because then the gbatemp song could not be put on a disc. Also people like to back up thier files from a pc to a disc. Writers dont need to be used for piracy.

ishin

Sarig
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
Maybe they will ban DVD/CD writers or basically anything that can copy media of any type....

Problem solved.

Or... not?

Dvd writers and cd writers are not just made to burn illegal stuff.
unsure.gif
Lets just say the gbatemp members wish to put thier song on a cd. Now you sayed they might ban writers i dont think so because then the gbatemp song could not be put on a disc. Also people like to back up thier files from a pc to a disc. Writers dont need to be used for piracy.

What you're saying is true, who says a writer or dvd's will be used for piracy, it's legal to make a back-up of your own stuff, it get's illegal when you sell it

xbman

Trophies
XP
Country
It's a waste of time and money to go after someone downloading music, roms, etc. They aren't the ones "costing" the industry. It those that dump, rip, duplicate, etc that are the main contributors as without them people wouldn't have such easy access to "pirated" goods.

Not to mention that all these losses are "perceived" losses - not real. I guarantee that most people who download stuff had no intentions of purchasing them in the first place - so companies are not losing potential sales as those sales never would have happened in the first place - but there is a loss and of course they need to protect themselves.

Aside from hearing about some people in the US that received "notification" about illegal mp3 downloads, etc. it does not appear to be common that anyone here gets into any sort of trouble just for downloading something. Not sure about other countires, but the point is, I don't think this announcement really means anything.

It's like the war on drugs. You can focus on and arrest people who buy them for thier own use, but unless you go after the dealers, etc you aren't doing anything to win the war - same with piracy.

Codemasterflex

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
It those that dump, rip, duplicate, etc that are the main contributors as without them people wouldn't have such easy access to "pirated" goods.
And also release those dumps, rips, and duplicates to the public, otherwise it would just be making a personal backup.

xbman

Trophies
XP
Country
It those that dump, rip, duplicate, etc that are the main contributors as without them people wouldn't have such easy access to "pirated" goods.
And also release those dumps, rips, and duplicates to the public, otherwise it would just be making a personal backup.

Correct - I was referring to publicly realeasing / duplicating / selling, as you point out otherwise it would just be a backup.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: @OctoAori20, Cool. Same here.