FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Essay time.

I normally I do not partake in such discussions but something resembling a coherent line of thought appeared so I figured I would roll with it (this being said I doubt it will come across like that).
I am going to shy away from either condoning piracy or dismissing it. instead some arguments and theories I have heard or arrived at myself both for and against it and counterpoints to said arguments and theories which have left me deeply confused regarding any moral standpoint I could take, about as close I can get is piracy is OK for some reasons or more specifically does not do any damage to people maybe even raising their quality of life yet under other circumstances, what these standards can be will vary from person to person. I will however say for all that I have done unless it has resulted in physical injury I have never lost any sleep over anything I have done and as you may be able to infer that would place me at odds with quite a few people regarding this issue.

I would consider myself halfway between the utopian "vision" I can see in various blogs and anything the RIAA does not sanction or says is wrong should/will get me shot line I see touted by the RIAA and various idiot lawyers, stat makers and politicians they brainwash or pay off.
Despite having friends, colleagues I respect and services/products I like fall foul of such things I agree with patents and copyright assuming they are well implemented. Some computer games however seem to be subject to many year copyright which makes things difficult.
I will however say I oppose censorship which for the most part I can see being hand in hand with “copy protection” and by extension piracy. I realise I may have just lost much if not all of the potency for any argument I make for this view but I stand by it. I can not reasonably make an argument using just myself or my friends but what the hell:
I see no correlation between violent media and the effect on myself, I can see someone decapitated (for real or via makeup) and think wow and get the old blood flowing. I am not going to go and repeat it though, I knew I should not do it for no reason when I was 5 and I still know it is normally not reasonable to do it now. The ironic thing as far as I see it is that I am stronger, faster, better trained and possess a far greater amount of resources and knowledge to allow me to get away with it today.

A few things that make me sick though regarding piracy is people being harassed for chipping consoles: my bike goes fast enough as is yet a large stink would be kicked up of I were denied a part to make it go faster (for which the only purpose really is to break the law), wonder if “a chip is like a track day” line would hold up in court. That and region protection, I agree that companies/individuals have the right to earn assuming they can (dirt farming is not something I agree with) but region locking stuff is not on as far as I am concerned.
The other is second hand sales, I occasionally see debates about shops selling games second hand and how that hurts people I the industry, I can not help but laugh here and if I buy a game the chances are it will be second hand.

My personal uses aside I personally have taught and given explicit instructions on "piracy" (homebrew and legit (regardless what the law happens to say this minute) backups included) or improving the methods used to hundreds of people: of the 1000 odd posts I have on this site I imagine a good 70% of them are pertaining to problems with "piracy" actions. Add in all the real world instruction and the people they teach (who then often come and teach me something which is ever nice) and the documentation I write (OK that may be an exception but still). I have never taken money for my actions though as that does cross a line for me.
Regarding the entitled/deserving thing, I completely disagree with the “I am entitled” theory.
It does not justify piracy (for any sane reason I can think of), yes society is driven by money but

So to the jaded arguments section:

1)Downloading/renting/split purchasing a copy from somewhere and copying it for all to use is not the same as taping somebody’s window, elbowing it out and stealing their TV.

2) Piracy nets me a better copy than "legal" routes:

3) A pirate copy is not a sale lost

4) The faceless corporation argument

5) Regarding expense.

1)In the second scenario they are deprived of something and it will cost them to replace it where the first IE. piracy the owner/seller does not suffer.

2) True for the most part or you know where to look:
there is a reason I learned to hack roms, work with video and audio, build and operate computers, learned to program, learned to solder, learned electronics and engineering and there is a reason enjoy trainers, hacks, lack of adverts on my videos and videos I would not otherwise see (DVD regions here although games also apply), high quality FLAC audio including rare things vs the DRM laden 128kbit/s MP3 pop songs some legit places force on me, custom made parts for various items I use. Or simply that I can make a mix tape of all my favourite videos, music, games. However I have seen some damn awful pirate copies of DVDs, the sort of stuff I would have to work quite hard to replicate. Places like allofmp3 though as far as I can tell are legal and better than most pirate copies. I have not go too many counter arguments to this as it tends to fall under the piracy is wrong banner

3)this is kind of a catch-22 situation here as there is piracy and people know this so the availability of piracy equipment does facilitate sales yet I know numerous groups who would not buy a copy of a film (some "pirates" I have met only sell to struggling families on various estates which in my eyes is fantastic: the families would not be able to afford a £15 DVD or to take their kids to the cinema or the parent(s) go themselves every so often when their food budget for a week is barely double that, selling them a £2 DVD (at 100% profit no less) is almost an act of kindness). Sure there are various unpirated mediums (DIVX players, older arcade computer games and less popular formats).
Evolution favours the better of the bunch, in buisness terms this means if you cling to an outmoded buisness model you will fail:
imagine setting up a business installing asbestos for general use today: you would fail, 40 years ago you could make some decent money.
4) Sure I doubt anyone at EA will go hungry for me copying Generic football game 200X or MS will suffer from me downloading Vista (which at this point in time is something I would not waste my bandwidth on but that once again is a different arguement), I doubt many garage coders will care either. Due to part 3 though there is not really ever going to be any stats on the subject of sales lost. Assuming it is not 1984 and I am not being tracked/monitored (even then I have several methods by which to avoid detection) any programmer/rights owner

5)Regarding expense, back in high school people that worked had paper rounds: £20 a week if they were lucky and flawless in their actions. One (new) game £35, guess why the second hand games racks and to a lesser extent budget lines were drained on Friday at 4:30pm (or Saturday 10 mins after opening at the latest) and the select few who knew how to pirate were kept very busy (at least until I came along but that is a different story). Another part of this is also censorship but that does not apply for me anymore.
We do however live in a society based on money and just becuase I can not afford something (even if overpriced) it would be a hard sell to say that gives me the right to experience it.

Hmm I seem to have lost my train of thought so here is a good place to stop for now.

Katalyst

Johnald Everyperson
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Essay time.

[WALL OF TEXT]

Hmm I seem to have lost my train of thought so here is a good place to stop for now.
tl;dr
tongue.gif
Piracy is good. End of story ;o

Veho

The man who cried "Ni".
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
Croatia
Consider this. Actual piracy hurts companies much, much more than a bunch of kids downloading games they couldn't afford on their allowance anyhow.

Actual piracy. Downloading games/music/movies is just "failure to buy". I'm talking about whole factories in China hammering out fake GBA cartriges by the truckload. I'm talking about mass production of fake CDs and selling them in stores, or on stands in the streets, posing as originals. The mass-production of fake movie DVDs sold to video stores, or made by video stores and rented to people. The companies using illegal copies of software to work on and ammass profit. All without paying any royalties to anyone, of course.

The real pirates are not only ripping off the publishers and authors, but the people who were willing to pay for originals, too. And the publishers lose a lot of money that way. They aren't counting on making any money off ROM monkeys in the first place, but there is a lot of people willing to buy games, and a significant percentage of those people get intercepted by pirates.

"Failure to buy" (what the downloaders do) is nothing compared to that. I'm not saying that it's justified, or that anyone is "entitled" to it if they buy Nintendo hardware (No, you're not entitled to it, just like buying a DVD player doesn't give you the right to download movies. You're just saying that to make yourselves feel better about doing it.), I'm saying that it's the least of the publishers' problems.

Both sides of this "argument" can chill out.

Louse76

Trophies
Website
myspace.com
XP
Country
United States
I feel no guilt what so ever... Let's see I have a N64 w/ 10 games and all 4 controlers, a gamecube with 21 games, 3 controlers, and 2 bongo controlers, 1 ds lite, with 6 real games.... No I think I've paid Nintendo anof money for a life time cupon of free games, aka piracy!

I've been into emulation for 8 years, now I'm 14 and I've think I have over paid my dues. I don't feel guilt for copying some "high and mighty" bastards games. Shure there loseing money because your not paying. But it's not like your actualy taking away money to copy somthing.

Get used to it! It's life! This is realy the only thing I don't think is wrong. Especialy if your getting the game before it's out in stores, getting a rare game, or downloading a game from other contreys!

Inother words...

FUCK YOU! Nintendo! You exspect us to buy extreamly over priced games! Well I've bought some and paided my dues. There's no need for you to over profet off ME!

So you were pirating when you were 6? I'm going to call BULLSHIT on that one.

And FUCK YOU Relys. Nobody talks to Nintendo like that. If you were here, I'd kick you right in the balls.

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
So you were pirating when you were 6? I'm going to call BULLSHIT on that one.

I had a 'Dragon 32' when I was 4 years old. My da taught me how to use a twin-deck hifi to copy a game cassette to a blank c90. My 2 yr old can select which game she wants from the r4 menu - give it another year and she will easily be able to copy games to microsd and put it in her ds.

Piracy is hardly rocket science. Most people I've met who sell pirate dvd/cd-r's are kids, knocking them out in the playground to their mates for £0.80p a disc. (that and fat hairy men at computer fairs).

Katalyst

Johnald Everyperson
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
I was selling GB Pokemon Roms on floppydisc when I was 11.
I've sold to kids around 6-8 years old.

It's possible dude.

Q~
Hahaha, goddamn. I did the same exact thing back in middle school. I remember having fliers printed out advertising it. I would throw in deals and shit (buy 2 get 1 free, etc.). And yes, majority of my customers were pretty young. I had a guy who owned this store and would hook me up with rare pokemon cards too, so every now and then I'd throw in a rare for a bit extra. Ah...good times, good times.

Tanas

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
QUOTE said:
2007 game sales at an all-time high

UK's Chartrack has predicted 2007 to be the biggest ever in terms of game sales 'in living memory'. This estimate comes off incredibly strong software sales during the first six weeks of the year 2007. Further boosted by the launch of the PS3 later on in March, many expect it to be a record breaking year in every sense of the term.

quote:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Software is up 26 per cent on units and 17.1 per cent on value in comparison to the same period in 2006 – the previous biggest ever year.

“This is the biggest start to a year in living memory,” ChartTrack director Dorian Bloch told MCV.

“Even without Burning Crusade or Lost Planet, this year would still be up on 2006. And we’ve still got PS3 to come with the biggest launch line-up of all time.”

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

This relieves me of feeling any guilt...
wink.gif

enishi37

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
The roms are great if you have nieces or nephews that want to play (in my case nintendogs), but don't want to buy.
I usually buy games that are worth buying.

I own:
PoR
Mario Kart DS
FFIII

Considering:
Dawn of Sorrow
FFXII version(don't know title)

Will Buy:
Phantom Hourglass

Other than that... no guilt what so ever

.TakaM

.II
Trophies
Website
takam.wordpress.com
XP
Country
New Zealand
I was selling GB Pokemon Roms on floppydisc when I was 11.
I've sold to kids around 6-8 years old.

It's possible dude.

Q~

Hahaha, goddamn. I did the same exact thing back in middle school. I remember having fliers printed out advertising it. I would throw in deals and shit (buy 2 get 1 free, etc.). And yes, majority of my customers were pretty young. I had a guy who owned this store and would hook me up with rare pokemon cards too, so every now and then I'd throw in a rare for a bit extra. Ah...good times, good times.
I used to sell crack in school

hevyhomie

Newcomer
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
piracy is good to some extent.
if wanna play a game so bad but dont have the money to buy or even rent it, vola, virtual renting is on the way!
i purposely limit myself by buying a 256 mb micro sd card, so that way i dont have a bunch of roms. if u r one of those people with the 2gb micro sd with all of them roms, you probably know of your consquence, and may you rot in hell. It is good to try out games for a little while because you never know when you are glad that you didnt buy that game. For example, diddy kong racing ds, biggest disappointment ever!
you can download the rom, but please do not finish the game. I use my r4 to get the gist of the game.
that's that.
laugh.gif

skullstatue

Banned!
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Videogame prices are way too high, I'm sorry, but it's too expensive. I would buy if the prices were lower, but that will never be the case. Buying a Nintendo DS with a flash cart is better than not buying a Nintendo at all, right, right? Ku Nay Nay Sai Nintendo.
yaynds.gif

bolton2

bolton2
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
I recently got an R4DS and was thinking how great it would be to have every game I wanted to have without paying. But now as I have it, I feel guilty when I'm playing a game (particularly a good one) and I have no idea what to do. I played Phoenix Wright on it, and have now decided to buy the sequel. The same will probably be for PoR. So, do you feel guilt?

at first yeah, and after spending $200 on psp and ds games i said screw this and sold them all and fixed the problem
tongue.gif

if you feel guilty spend a bunch of money and realize its alot of money and no longer feel guilty and go back to having tons of games
tongue.gif

however i cant shake off console systems yet, maby when i spend over 1,000 on wii and gamecube stuff it will sink in, but sadly for consoles it hasnt yet :/

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: I think the Mister is cool and all, but honestly I have seen some video's exploring the...