Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Netherlands
I Cry myselfe to sleep every night
wacko.gif

Naw man I used to buy games, but hey, we are in no way a threat to nintendo's bizniz I mean they are making big money.

The only console that was threatnend by piracy was the dreamcast.....

You could just burn a boot disc with a CD burner on a regular ass CD.....

Veho

The man who cried "Ni".
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
Croatia
Sorry for the bump, but I have to get this off my chest. You might find it interesting.

Okay. The local version of RIAA, called ZAMP, have succeeded in passing a law that entitles them to a percentage of profit off any device capable of data storage. And I'm not talking only CDs. I'm talking memory cards, mp3 players, HDDs, digital tapes, PDAs, anything capable of storing data. Under the excuse that "those devices will be used to store bootleg media files". The proceeds, minus an administration fee, will be paid to the authors (yeah, right; their business is as transparent as milk on a moonless night).
Totally ignoring any idea of "being innocent untill proven guilty", they took the view that everyone is a pirate, only some haven't been caught yet.

I'll skip the obvious comments and lamentations, as I'm sure you'll reach the same conclusions and see the inherent absurdities of such an approach. Feel free to comment on it, though.

My point is this. Since I'm paying an "intellectual rights" fee with every CD or DVD, HDD or memory card I buy, that means I'll definitely be paying (whether I like it or not) for any piece of "intellectual property" I might download and store on that media.

Do you know what that means?

I never have to -buy- another game again
nyanya.gif

So much for guilt.

DEF-

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Sorry for the bump, but I have to get this off my chest. You might find it interesting.

Okay. The local version of RIAA, called ZAMP, have succeeded in passing a law that entitles them to a percentage of profit off any device capable of data storage. And I'm not talking only CDs. I'm talking memory cards, mp3 players, HDDs, digital tapes, PDAs, anything capable of storing data. Under the excuse that "those devices will be used to store bootleg media files". The proceeds, minus an administration fee, will be paid to the authors (yeah, right; their business is as transparent as milk on a moonless night).
Totally ignoring any idea of "being innocent untill proven guilty", they took the view that everyone is a pirate, only some haven't been caught yet.

I'll skip the obvious comments and lamentations, as I'm sure you'll reach the same conclusions and see the inherent absurdities of such an approach. Feel free to comment on it, though.

My point is this. Since I'm paying an "intellectual rights" fee with every CD or DVD, HDD or memory card I buy, that means I'll definitely be paying (whether I like it or not) for any piece of "intellectual property" I might download and store on that media.

Do you know what that means?

I never have to -buy- another game againÂ
nyanya.gif
Â

So much for guilt.

I've thought about the same thing myself, and this actually make me feel good. These kinds of stupid companies actually earn money on these stupid, in my opinion, lies. They are the thieves, not us.

Honestly i'd be paying for almost all games i've played if they where cheaper, and too few games are worth full retail price here in sweden. Games cost around 500-600 SEK, which is around 70-80 US$, and only a few good titles are worth that amount. However if games costed around 20-30 US$ i'd be buying alot more games, i'd probally not even consider downloading a game at all. I'd probally get a chip to test the games first (NEED DEMO DISCS!).

Nevin007

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Well I bought a $130 DS Lite ONLY because of piracy. If I had to buy my games legitimately then I'm 100% sure I would never own a DS Lite. So I don't feel guilty since because of piracy, Nintendo profited $130 off me that they never would have gotten. Thank you piracy for helping me support Nintendo.
smile.gif

jtroye32

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Well I bought a $130 DS Lite ONLY because of piracy. If I had to buy my games legitimately then I'm 100% sure I would never own a DS Lite. So I don't feel guilty since because of piracy, Nintendo profited $130 off me that they never would have gotten. Thank you piracy for helping me support Nintendo.Â
smile.gif

qft

Smuff

Fossilized Gamer
Trophies
XP
Country
Well I bought a $130 DS Lite ONLY because of piracy. If I had to buy my games legitimately then I'm 100% sure I would never own a DS Lite. So I don't feel guilty since because of piracy, Nintendo profited $130 off me that they never would have gotten. Thank you piracy for helping me support Nintendo.Â
smile.gif
Same here
biggrin.gif

vampyrecrypt

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Check this out -

I recently bought New Super Mario Bro's off Ebay - and yep - it was a fake!!

I was really pissed off - and decided to Email Nintendo to ask them what to do. I emailed their UK office, and their special piracy reporting email in the US.

They sent me back the most crappy email - they really dont seem to care one bit! They just said, it your own fault you got conned, there is nothing we can do, and didnt even ask who the Ebay seller was or anything!

All I did was ask them for some advice. So i emailed them back saying how shocked I was with Nintendo (as i kinda see them as a friendly kinda company) and that i couldnt believe the tone of the emails, and asked for a managers email.

They totally ignored my request for the managers email, and were just as apathetic in their next replies.

As I result - if I do decide to download a ROM and play it when my R4 arrives I really would not fee much guilt as Nintendo dont care about me one bit!

There were only a few games I really wanted to get on my DS, and if i found some good deals on R4 etc would cost about the same - but after my experience I wont be buying these games anymore.

If anyone would like me to send them a copy of the email I can!!

Well you can't really blame anyone. How much did you pay on eBay? And you can't really get pissed off at all of Nintendo just because of some asshole people in the UK. Nintendo originates from Japan anyways. Or you should have went to some video game store and got a cheap used version. You can also report the person on eBay, they will do something for you.

cheekydollar

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Yeah I know - I just thought they would take more interest.

I really didnt realise at the time that there was so much fake DS stuff available - The game was advertised as "100% Genuine" and th seller had great feedback, although he was based in HK - but i didnt suspect a thing.

I have always supported Nintendo - above other console manufacturers anyway, and when I had my N64 they sent me a free controller and game cos the price went down just after i bought it - how nice!! But really, the emails they sent me were bordering on rude.

And i paid £17

bennyboo

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
I think some posters in this thread have really hit the nail on the head.. - often, the pirates are also the biggest fans of certain media, be it games, films, music whatever...

for example, I have friends with DS's and they've perhaps only bought 1 or 2 games - Brain Training, Animal Crossing etc.. they like them and all but aren't going to go out of there way to learn how to pirate more games for free. I can't see that they're going to buy more than a couple of games over the lifespan of the DS either.. - they're casual gamers..

where as I have bought a DS phat, DS light and about 20 games.. plus have probably pirated 50 games.....

not saying it's right or wrong... - just a fact, which I think is the same for alot of people.

I've probably spent £600 + on DS's and games.. there is no way I would have bought another 50 original games...

OSW

Wii King
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
thought i might add, i have started collecting dumps, for the sake of collecting XD. i don't play most of them.

SeanoRLY?

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
I feel rather good about myself when I manage to pirate a program or game without paying loads of money. It saves me money AND I get to use the stuff I want.

-- DO WHAT YOU WANT CAUSE A PIRATE IS FREEEE!!!

lol, limewire..

shakirmoledina

Legend
Trophies
Website
vfootball.co.nf
XP
Country
Tanzania
again just like this site why do they create such opportunities to be able to play roms since they said it is illegal even to make roms. It means u encourage them and that no one else can do anything about it. Ban r4's or m3's if you don't like it so much.

W hat

Rhythm Heaven Fan
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
When you think about it, it is the same as borrowing a game from your friends

No it's not. It's not at all. Borrowing a game works out because there's real copies. When you borrow it, the person who lent it to you doesn't have it anymore. Granted, you should give it back, so they'd have it again, but then you don't have it anymore. With downloaded ROMs of games you don't own, whoever ripped the ROM still has it, and so can anyone else who wants it at the same time.

aquariumboy

Newcomer
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
do i feal guilty? no mainly because i know someone downloading a game/software/song here and there wont hurt the companys any,
there are some games like pokemon that i will buy just like there D&P
games coming out becuse i know what i can expect. but thats the only game that i can really count on being "good". i have thrown away LOTS of money buying nds/gba/gbc/gb/pc/xbox games that it just got tireing buying a 60$ game just to come home to find out it sucks lol then having to return it for 1/4th the price (after fighting with the costumer serves lol).

anyways ya nowdays it seems like alot of people are downloading the stuff they need instead of buying it, but doesnt the store pay the company they bought the items from first like the wholesale price?

ih8crouch

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Nay no guilt at all! we get screwed over here in pal land, waiting longer for games plus we dont get some games(ouden etc...), i have supported the wii since launch, buying 7 games and purchasing some VC games but as always there is catch in pal land, VC games are slow poo pal versions...Ma last buy was Tiger Woods on the wii, i have looked forward to this for ages but pal land gets screwed up the bottom again as the pal release lacked 480p so it looks crappy on my massive tv...madden is the same... this pushed me over the edge ive orderd a wiikey and im copyin all my games and then puttin em on ebay! Why should we pay for the crap we get served over here

Peace!
grog.gif

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Jayro @ Jayro:
    The phat model had amazingly loud speakers tho.
    +1
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @Jayro, I don't see whats so special about the DS ML, its just a DS lite in a phat shell. At least the phat model had louder speakers, whereas the lite has a much better screen.
    +1
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    They probably said "Hey, why not we combine the two together and make a 'new' DS to sell".
  • Veho @ Veho:
    It's a DS Lite in a slightly bigger DS Lite shell.
    +1
  • Veho @ Veho:
    It's not a Nintendo / iQue official product, it's a 3rd party custom.
    +1
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Nothing special about it other than it's more comfortable than the Lite
    for people with beefy hands.
    +1
  • Jayro @ Jayro:
    I have yaoi anime hands, very lorge but slender.
  • Jayro @ Jayro:
    I'm Slenderman.
  • Veho @ Veho:
    I have hands.
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    imagine not having hands, cringe
    +1
  • AncientBoi @ AncientBoi:
    ESPECIALLY for things I do to myself :sad:.. :tpi::rofl2: Or others :shy::blush::evil:
    +1
  • The Real Jdbye @ The Real Jdbye:
    @SylverReZ if you could find a v5 DS ML you would have the best of both worlds since the v5 units had the same backlight brightness levels as the DS Lite unlockable with flashme
    but that's a long shot
    i think only the red mario kart edition phat was v5
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    A woman with no arms and no legs was sitting on a beach. A man comes along and the woman says, "I've never been hugged before." So the man feels bad and hugs her. She says "Well i've also never been kissed before." So he gives her a kiss on the cheek. She says "Well I've also never been fucked before." So the man picks her up, and throws her in the ocean and says "Now you're fucked."
    +2
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    lmao
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    anyways, we need to re-normalize physical media

if i didn't want my games to be permanent, then i'd rent them
    +1
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Agreed, that why I try to buy all my games on disc, Xbox anyways. Switch games (which I pirate tbh) don't matter much, I stay offline 24/7 anyways.
  • AncientBoi @ AncientBoi:
    I don't pirate them, I Use Them :mellow:. Like I do @BigOnYa 's couch :tpi::evil::rofl2:
    +1
  • cearp @ cearp:
    @BakerMan - you can still "own" digital media, arguably easier and better than physical since you can make copies and backups, as much as you like.

The issue is DRM
  • cearp @ cearp:
    You can buy drm free games / music / ebooks, and if you keep backups of your data (like documents and family photos etc), then you shouldn't lose the game. but with a disk, your toddler could put it in the toaster and there goes your $60

:rofl2:
  • cearp @ cearp:
    still, I agree physical media is nice to have. just pointing out the issue is drm
  • rqkaiju2 @ rqkaiju2:
    i like physical media because it actually feels like you own it. thats why i plan on burning music to cds
    rqkaiju2 @ rqkaiju2: i like physical media because it actually feels like you own it. thats why i plan on burning...