Piracy and Guilt

Discussion in 'R4 DS' started by HDW, Feb 10, 2007.

Feb 10, 2007

Piracy and Guilt by HDW at 9:23 PM (11,173 Views / 0 Likes) 157 replies

1. HDW
    OP

Newcomer HDW Advanced Member

United Kingdom
    I recently got an R4DS and was thinking how great it would be to have every game I wanted to have without paying. But now as I have it, I feel guilty when I'm playing a game (particularly a good one) and I have no idea what to do. I played Phoenix Wright on it, and have now decided to buy the sequel. The same will probably be for PoR. So, do you feel guilt?

2. pottageb

Member pottageb GBAtemp Regular

United Kingdom
    Don't feel guilty. £30 (dunno what it is in USA) but thats ALOT of money for a handheld game. Maybe the developers will stop crying and lower the price so we wouldn't have to pirate games.

3. Romnerd

Member Romnerd Advanced Member

United Kingdom
    I dont keep copies of games that I dont own the original of !

4. wastedyeti

Newcomer wastedyeti Member

United States
    Hey as long as you buy it you're ok in my book. You just needed to try it out first. I download songs all the time but when i really like the cd I buy it. Sure I dont buy every CD but I probably wouldnt have boughtn' the one i tested out first anyhow. And hey at least if you feel some sort of guilt your better than 95% of the pirates!

5. Jax

Member Jax Pip Pip Cheerioink!

Portugal
    Guilt?
    What is this "guilt? [​IMG]

6. KINGOFNOOBS

Member KINGOFNOOBS GBAtemp Advanced Fan

United States
    I own 8 real DS games. Thats enough for me. The rest is on Nintendo [​IMG]

7. Katalyst

Member Katalyst Johnald Everyperson

United States
    Guilt.....me caring = not happening.

8. kernelPANIC

Member kernelPANIC GBAtemp Fan

Spain
    It's not really the developers the ones at fault for those high prices. It's all those intermediaries that crank up the prices. Developers get less than 20% of the final cost of every game.
    As for the guilt: No guilt, since I always buy those games that I consider are worth it. In the last 4-5 games I've only purchased Phoenix Wright for the DS and Ico and Shadow of the Colossus for the PS2, all of them after playing and finishing them using "backups".
    Every time I buy a new console I usually get 4-5 games and always end up regretting buying those because they weren't really that great...

9. bl21

Newcomer bl21 Advanced Member

United States
    try all the games for free with your R4, but buy games that u think good after playing. u should show your support to those game-developing teams so that u could have better games to play later. At least that is what I do now.

10. Icarus

Member Icarus fire walk with me

United States
    Nintendo's already making lots of money from the hardwares. If you think $30 is too much for a game(like me) you can always rent them..

11. MaHe

Member MaHe one lazy schmo

Slovenia
    I simply don't care. I don't think that piracy equals stealing, as nobody is actually hurt by it.
    The big companies already have enough money in my opinion, and me buying a couple of games won't change zilch.
    Now, I do support small-time developers, like the author of Qwak GBA. Maybe I do feel a bit quilty because a single person put so much effort in some game without getting paid. But, well, I'm still not really that concerned. [​IMG]

12. jalaneme

Member jalaneme Female Gamer

United Kingdom
    i don't care about piracy myself, its far to expensive for me to buy real DS games so that's why i brought a R4 if i did buy all the DS games i've played so far i would have probably starved to death by now, games is not the only thing i have to spend my money on, i have to pay bills too.

tell me about it :'( it's extortion! that's the price of a console game! and it doesn't matter if the game is crap or not you still pay the same price!

13. Romnerd

Member Romnerd Advanced Member

United Kingdom
    If you dont buy games developers (good and bad) will eventually go out of business.
    If the game is good, buy it.
    There is a good argument about try before you buy but if you play it, you should pay for it !

14. Psyfira

Member Psyfira Credit: 0ml. Insert tea to continue

United Kingdom
    There's one big flaw with the way they sell DS games at the moment: no demo carts. I know they have download stations but they're only for the big releases, and having to stand in a shop playing a game isn't really a good solution (standing like a lemon in the middle of Game with my DS? Hello? :wtf:)

That's why I started downloading games; I didn't know which kinds of games I liked or which ones were any good so I wasn't buying any, afraid of throwing away £25 on a title I didn't like. I can honestly say that since then Nintendo and the developers have made more money off me pirating than they would've otherwise. Okay so I've only brought a small amount compared to the number that I've played but without downloading I would not have brought any at all.

Remember the PSX demo disks, where they had 9 demo games per disc? Or even the ones that came with magazines for a fiver? I'd love to see something like that for the DS. A cheap way to test the field before committing to a purchase. Why no-one's done it is a complete mystery.

15. 4saken

Member 4saken Retired Ace Attorney

Australia
    This is probably not the right way to think, but as I see it, if somebody else can do it, why not yourself?

16. mcbey

Member mcbey GBAtemp Regular

United States
    Guilt (which i dont feel) is for catholics (which I am). I see no problem by taking games from companies I'd been payin for over 10 years.

17. squirt1000

Banned squirt1000 Would rather have a cup of Tea!

United Kingdom
    I think the whole demo cart thing has been discussed for years now and its mostly been decided that its too expensive to produce a cart that will be bundled onto a magazine for a fiver> Shame as its a great idea but not likely to ever happen! [​IMG]

But no, im not guilty! [​IMG] Users of flash carts are a massive minority compared to the uneducated mass market of games buying idiots! [​IMG]

18. ozzyzak

Member ozzyzak GBAtemp Advanced Fan

United States

They're idiots for buying games? Nice....Why don't you just slap us all in the face while you're at it.

19. outphase

Member outphase Custom title

United States
    one day, i'll have a real job able to pay for what i play... i hope

20. adgloride

Member adgloride Its A Wii Wario

United Kingdom
    I don't feel guilty. I have a few original games and I've had a supercard since the beginning when it first started playing DS games. I'm not one of those people that think, I can copy the games now and go down to GAME and sell all my originals. I do think they ask too much for the games £25 each in the UK. So if you buy a few as well as copying a few your not hurting anyone.