Editorial Team
Editorial Team
Trophies
Website
defaultdnb.github.io
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Is it how I feel about it, but I haven't had a hands on to actually know/confirm that it is remarkably similar in form to an existing brand of controller.

Technically you would be right calling it "conjecture" by definition "An opinion or conclusion formed on the basis of incomplete information" , although an opinion can be "A view or judgment formed about something, not necessarily based on fact or knowledge.".. if conjecture uses opinions then yeah...

Anyway that is all I will say on this.

machomuu

Drops by occasionally
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Is it how I feel about it, but I haven't had a hands on to actually know/confirm that it is remarkably similar in form to an existing brand of controller.

Technically you would be right calling it "conjecture" by definition "An opinion or conclusion formed on the basis of incomplete information" , although an opinion can be "A view or judgment formed about something, not necessarily based on fact or knowledge."..
Fair enough, however I'd say that simply because it's conjecture is basis enough for him to act, otherwise I'd be siding with you since I have no bias or opinion on the matter.

Gotta love Pavlov, though.

Reactions: 1 person

Alexrose

Untitled
Trophies
XP
Country
Calm down. It's just my opinion.

Take it or leave it. Kid.
Saying, "360 rip off controllers, no need to say more," is not opinion, it's a statement of a theory, conjecture, or fact (in this case, it's a conjecture). I think he has full right to probe the statement, it was pretty direct and baseless.

And you need to chill out too. If someone says "Mass Effect sucks", that doesn't mean that the game literally has a vacuum mechanism on it, it means that in his opinion, it's not a good game. People omit the phrase "In my opinion" all the time for ease.

You wouldn't say, "In my opinion, ice cream is delicious", you'd just say "ice cream is delicious", but that's still an affirmative clause. It's still a definitive statement, its just left to you, the interpreter, to have the intelligence to realise what is opinion and what is fact. If you can't distinguish between what is subjective, and hence opinion, "That controller is a rip off", and fact, "That controller has 2 analogue sticks", then that's a fault of your own intelligence, and not him.
On the contrary, even if he said that it was his opinion, it wouldn't be, because that's not an opinion. An opinion is how one feels about something, and it can almost never be equated to fact, what he stated, however, was conjecture, not opinion.

I'm a physics student at the University of Manchester and I'd say you don't understand what conjecture is. (Yeah, I know what you're thinking "whoah, watch out guys, we're dealing with a badass here", but I wanted to assert my credentials in this discussion) A conjecture is something that's widely accepted as true but impossible to prove. An opinion is any personal view on something that is subjective. Whether or not a controller appears to have similar design elements to a competitor is an entirely subjective thing, since it is a human concept and not just some base state of nature. A fact is something that any unbiased source could view the data and either come to a logical or experimental conclusion that it is true. An opinion is anything that doesn't fit into that. There's no numerical measure of how much of a rip off of something is, and it depends on the beholder, so it's an opinion.

And the word theory has two definitions: the casual version which implies that you have a mere idea about a solution to something that is probabilistic or factual, or the scientific version which is that it is logically unprovable because of the problem of induction, but has been observed to be true in every single event that has ever been observed by a human, like gravity. This falls into neither of those categories, because this is based neither on probability nor absolute truth, it's subjective. So, again, it was an opinion, and he's entitled to it.

Reactions: 1 person

Midna

Banned!
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
Albania
gallery_122809_405_326074.png

Reactions: 5 people

Fear Zoa

Still Alive
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Calm down. It's just my opinion.

Take it or leave it. Kid.
Saying, "360 rip off controllers, no need to say more," is not opinion, it's a statement of a theory, conjecture, or fact (in this case, it's a conjecture). I think he has full right to probe the statement, it was pretty direct and baseless.

It is my opinion that the pro wiiu controllers are a rip off of the existing 360 controller.

I have grown up on nintendo from the GB, NES, SNES, 64, GC to the Wii. I just feel disappointed by nintendos offerings this year.

http://www.engadget....hands-on-video/

27 seconds in: "it does feel a lot like an x360 controller, it definitely looks like one"

In one respect it is clever to imitate (the sincerest form of flattery) an already popular controller to sway over people, who are familiar with that microsoft shape, to a new nintendo console.
It could be argued that the xbox controller copied off of the GameCube as far as button placement and analogue, besides the new wii pro controller looks more like a PlayStation controller with the analogue on top rather then on the bottom.

KiiWii

Editorial Team
Editorial Team
Trophies
Website
defaultdnb.github.io
XP
Country
United Kingdom
In my honest opinion, this sucks: http://www.n-europe.com/e3/using-two-wii-u-gamepads-will-cut-frame-rate-down-to-30fps-2

According to a translation by Kotaku Mr. Iwata has said that when using two Wii U GamePad controllers the game's frame rate will be cut down to 30 frames per second (fps).
Wii U's increased graphical power has meant the games are running at 60 frames per second, but it seems this won't be the case if two people wish to use the Wii U GamePad.
Hopefully this will be something Nintendo rectify down the line but for now expect a better performance with just one Wii U GamePad in use.

But that's just conjecture :P

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    HiradeGirl @ HiradeGirl: What.