Pikmin 2 and Mario Power Time coming to US Wiis on June 10th

Gahars

Bakayaro Banzai
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Why they make the motion controls mandatory is beyond me, especially since it diminishes an otherwise great deal.

It's like handing someone an assorted basket of candies and treats, but right before you hand it over, you coat it in radiation and napalm. You haven't enhanced the stuff in any way; you've just ruined something that didn't need tampering with.

ZaeZae64

Trophies
Website
puu.sh
XP
Country
United States
Why they make the motion controls mandatory is beyond me, especially since it diminishes an otherwise great deal.

It's like handing someone an assorted basket of candies and treats, but right before you hand it over, you coat it in radiation and napalm. You haven't enhanced the stuff in any way; you've just ruined something that didn't need tampering with.
Idunno about Mario Power tennis, but in my opinion the motion controls in Pikmin were really subtle and actually made the gameplay a bit smoother.
Motion control isn't always bad y'know.

Reactions: 1 person

Gahars

Bakayaro Banzai
Trophies
XP
Country
United States

Idunno about Mario Power tennis, but in my opinion the motion controls in Pikmin were really subtle and actually made the gameplay a bit smoother.

Just needless and gimmicky a good, to be generous to motion controls, nine times out of ten.

Plus, forcing the new control scheme onto a game originally designed without it in mind (instead of providing players the original as an alternative) isn't something I can get behind.

ZaeZae64

Trophies
Website
puu.sh
XP
Country
United States

Just needless and gimmicky a good, to be generous to motion controls, nine times out of ten.

Plus, forcing the new control scheme onto a game originally designed without it in mind (instead of providing players the original as an alternative) isn't something I can get behind.
But, have you even tried New play control Pikmin? I've played the PAL NPC Pikmin 2, and the only motion control involved is pointing at the screen to move the cursor.
And having the option to use the original Gamecube controller kinda removes the point of "New Play Control".

Midna

Banned!
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
Albania

Congratulations. You have no idea what you're talking about NPC Pikmin uses the IR pointer to direct where you throw Pikmin. That's all. It's actually a marvellous improvement to the game.
Seriously, I cannot properly express my irritation with you.

Reactions: 2 people

Gahars

Bakayaro Banzai
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
@Midna

Oh no, maybe someone (GASP!) doesn't prefer that! Maybe they (ANOTHER GASP!) would rather use the original control scheme with a Gamecube controller! And maybe, just maybe, this person (THIRD GASP!) is annoyed that the option isn't provided when it would be so simple to keep in!

I know, quite a few shocks there, right? I'm going to let you catch your breath after all those gasps.

@ZaeZae64

Sure, it's "New Play Control", but that's just referring to how a new method of playing the game is included in this version. How would also keeping the original option as an alternative contradict that. Excluding it (especially when it would be so easy to include) strikes me as pretty arbitrary.

ZaeZae64

Trophies
Website
puu.sh
XP
Country
United States
@Midna

Oh no, maybe someone (GASP!) doesn't prefer that! Maybe they (ANOTHER GASP!) would rather use the original control scheme with a Gamecube controller! And maybe, just maybe, this person (THIRD GASP!) is annoyed that the option isn't provided when it would be so simple to keep in!

I know, quite a few shocks there, right? I'm going to let you catch your breath after all those gasps.

@ZaeZae64

Sure, it's "New Play Control", but that's just referring to how a new method of playing the game is included in this version. How would also keeping the original option as an alternative contradict that. Excluding it (especially when it would be so easy to include) strikes me as pretty arbitrary.
But still, disliking a game just because of such a small detail is incredibly silly. I mean, it'd be nice if they had GC support sure, but really right now it seems that you're only complaint is that it's different.
And as someone who absolutely adored the pikmin games in my younger years I'd say the NPC controls are an improvement.

Gahars

Bakayaro Banzai
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
@ZaeZae64

I'd say controls aren't such a small issue (and remember, I'm not attacking Pikmin 2, just the way Nintendo handled this version of it). Rereleases like this are meant to give the people who missed the game the first time around another chance to experience it. Forcing players to use the new motion controls goes against the very heart of that purpose; you aren't allowing them the chance to enjoy and appreciate the original experience. There are some cases where you can't do that, obviously, but this is not one of them. It would be completely feasible to offer the old control scheme alongside the new one.

You may enjoy the added motion controls, and that's great for you, but you had the chance to play the original games as they were intended to be. Shouldn't players just being introduced to the franchise be offered that frame of reference so they could decide for themselves?

ZaeZae64

Trophies
Website
puu.sh
XP
Country
United States
@ZaeZae64

I'd say controls aren't such a small issue (and remember, I'm not attacking Pikmin 2, just the way Nintendo handled this version of it). Rereleases like this are meant to give the people who missed the game the first time around another chance to experience it. Forcing players to use the new motion controls goes against the very heart of that purpose; you aren't allowing them the chance to enjoy and appreciate the original experience. There are some cases where you can't do that, obviously, but this is not one of them. It would be completely feasible to offer the old control scheme alongside the new one.

You may enjoy the added motion controls, and that's great for you, but you had the chance to play the original games as they were intended to be. Shouldn't players just being introduced to the franchise be offered that frame of reference so they could decide for themselves?
I can see where you're coming from, and agree that they should have added Gamecube support, but at the same time I find it a bit far fetched to say just because you're using a different controller means you can't enjoy and appreciate the original.
And I apologize if I came off as rude in my posts, because if so, it wasn't intentional, and I mainly just replied since I read it as if you were attacking the game just because it had motion controls.
So again, apologies if there were any misunderstandings.

Gahars

Bakayaro Banzai
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
@ZaeZae64

I can see where you're coming from, and agree that they should have added Gamecube support, but at the same time I find it a bit far fetched to say just because you're using a different controller means you can't enjoy and appreciate the original.
And I apologize if I came off as rude in my posts, because if so, it wasn't intentional, and I mainly just replied since I read it as if you were attacking the game just because it had motion controls.

I'm not saying that players can't enjoy the new experience; I just don't approve of how new players are being deprived of the chance to appreciate the original experience (with the controls the game was originally designed around).

No harm done, and to be entirely fair, I could have made my stance on the issue clearer in my first post.

raybattousai

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
@ZaeZae64

I'm not saying that players can't enjoy the new experience; I just don't approve of how new players are being deprived of the chance to appreciate the original experience (with the controls the game was originally designed around).

No harm done, and to be entirely fair, I could have made my stance on the issue clearer in my first post.
I'm sure if they are that concerned about playing it with the original controls they could just get an original copy online

Gahars

Bakayaro Banzai
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
@raybattousai

...Except the entire purpose of a rerelease like this is to make the original easier to obtain for people who are interested (especially with an impending sequel on the way). Also, going by the first post, copies of Pikmin 2 for the Gamecube can be a bit difficult to come by; this is supposed to provide an easily accessible alternative.

Midna

Banned!
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
Albania
@Midna

Fuck off. I've never heard a soul complain about using the IR pointer for aiming in any game. You've clearly never even touched the remakes. And if you don't want to use a Wii remote go get Pikmin used.

Gahars

Bakayaro Banzai
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
@Midna

Fuck off. I've never heard a soul complain about using the IR pointer for aiming in any game. You've clearly never even touched the remakes. And if you don't want to use a Wii remote go get Pikmin used.

Oh no, someone has come to a different opinion to you about the controls for a game AND believes that the rerelease should offer them just as an option to accommodate everyone. What a travesty!

You better be careful now, because I think I can hear another gasp just around the corner!

Midna

Banned!
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
Albania
@Midna

Oh no, someone has come to a different opinion to you about the controls for a game AND believes that the rerelease should offer them just as an option to accommodate everyone. What a travesty!

You better be careful now, because I think I can hear another gasp just around the corner!
So what you're saying is that if someone, somewhere dislikes the controls, that means it's a bad system

Welp, I guess if developers aren't going to please him, they might as well not make the game at all. In fact, I think all video game development should cease, everywhere. they're inevitably going to piss off someone. What's the point of designing a solid, easy to use control system if someone, somewhere dislikes it?

raybattousai

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
@raybattousai

...Except the entire purpose of a rerelease like this is to make the original easier to obtain for people who are interested (especially with an impending sequel on the way). Also, going by the first post, copies of Pikmin 2 for the Gamecube can be a bit difficult to come by; this is supposed to provide an easily accessible alternative.

Thats more reason to not include the original controls. If the point of rereleasing it is to prepare people for the sequel, why would they want them to get used to a control scheme that ISN'T AVAILABLE ON THE WII U!. The Wii U is compatible with wiimotes and can offer that control scheme.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: Although i practically started it