PictoImage wiped EVERYTHING from my EDGE MicroSD...

Discussion in 'Other Flashing Hardware & Software' started by Brian117, Sep 11, 2008.

1. Brian117
    OP

Member Brian117 GBAtemp Psycho!

United States
    Wow...just wow...I thought the EDGE was a perfect stable cart...but apperantly not.

I downloaded the game PictoImage for the DS couple weeks ago, it worked perfectly until maybe 4-5 days ago. Whenever I selected it from the game menu, there would be a pop-up saying, "There is an issue with the save" Or something like that, I can't remember...So I'm like, wtf o.O.

Then today I decided to delete the save file. See if that would work. Then later tonight I started up PictoImage, thinking I would get a new game save etc...It freezes on the "Loading...". So after waiting 5 minuets, I said, "It's not going to load, just turn the DS off and try again". That's what I did. I shut the DS down, started it back up. What do I see? In black bold letters, "EDGE.DAT tidak menemukan!" So right now I'm panicking. I put my MicroSD card in my computer, to see that it WIPED EVERY SINGLE FILE that was on my cart...All my saves, gone...games, gone...themes...gone. I am so pissed right now...I got so far in all my games...

The weird thing is...the PictoImage rom was working 100% perfect when I first downloaded it...Something really screwed up my MicroSD card...and I'm not to happy. I want to cry right about now...

So just a warning people...PictoImage MAY corrupt your card.

I ended up formatting my MicroSD card...It's on FAT right now, should I switch to FAT32? Anyways...just a warning for all of you...Enjoy your saves while you can >.

2. Gore

Member Gore GBAtemp Advanced Maniac

United States
    That's why you should always back up your saves.
    These things happen.

3. kobykaan

Member kobykaan GBAtemp Addict

United Kingdom
    Zero Assumption Recovery may of got your saves back but you have since formatted and no doubt refilled your SD card it probably will not work

how many times did you try restart the ds and get Pictoimage working? more than once??

that could also of corrupted your mem card and so can adding and deleting games etc all the time ... my kids do that every once in a while in desperation to try everything they can that's out there!

from experience SD cards in general are quite Volatile and can get easily corrupt at any time not related to a specific rom [​IMG]

4. roguetrip

Member roguetrip GBAtemp Fan

United States

This be the truth, I've had it happen a couple times on my 2GB kingston and R4DS but usually with homebrew games. Hope I don't run into that with my EDGE though, filling 4GB takes a bit of time.

5. Brian117
    OP

United States
    I only restarted it once to be exact. The first time I saw the error that the save isn't working, or something, was probably 6-7 days ago. I've never bothered playing PictoImage again after that, but I had an urge to last night, and that's when it froze on loading and boom, erased every single file. [​IMG]

6. unggoy

Newcomer unggoy Member

Philippines
    dont use fake microSDs.. they always get corrupted..

7. Brian117
    OP

United States
    I have owned this MicroSD since I bought my EDGE, about 3-4 months ago. No problems up until now. I'm using a PQI Micro SD 2GB. It just must of been the rom.

8. GH0ST

Member GH0ST Your Hero is a Ghost

France
    "edge.dat tidak menemukan" (EDGE.DAT cannot be found) looks very common : buy a cyclods [​IMG]
    Chkdsk and defrag to avoid card corruptions... especially before firmware update or after files transfer. Backup also ...

9. mcjones92

Member mcjones92 Forest Fam

United States
    Almost same thing happened to me. I had a LEXAR MicroSD and I booted up Clubhouse Games (I think) on my EDGE. I download played with my brother. I shut it off in the middle of communication, and turned it back on, white screen. I kept trying, trying, same thing. I switched the SD card to my Acekard 2 only to find all my files wiped, gone. Turns out something was corrupted in my MicroSD because I got all these weird files like *&^#$.1235 and symbols. The files were unable to be deleted so I was forced to wipe it. Turns out I could have saved my files, but oh well. I bet it isn't your EDGE because I only run into problems with my LEXAR card. If I boot up DSOrganize, it corrupts, no matter the flashcard (Acekard2, GnM, EZ5, EDGE)

Final word: DON'T BUY AN UNKNOWN COMPANYS MICROSD.

10. Brian117
    OP

United States
    Oh wow.

Yeah I know it isn't my EDGE cart. It had to of been the rom.

Come to think of it...I do remember shutting my DS off during gameplay. Like when people were drawing...But why the hell would it do that?

And this MicroSD is perfect imo. The company is legit also.

But that's crazy how DSOrganize corrupts for you even with EDGE. I'm currently using DSOrganize on my EDGE right now and no problems at all.

11. cracker

Member cracker Nyah!

United States
    From what you described it is the loader itself with the problem. The error messages were coming from the loader about the save data and the loader corrupted the card.

12. Brian117
    OP

United States

But why would it just happen randomly out of the blue? I've owned it for 4-5 months now. Have the highest firmware. And just until "now", it happens?

Kinda weird...But I'm not downloading PictoImage ever again...That game sucked anyways. Stupid 5 year old kids drawing like maniacs on drugs.

13. Ferrariman

Member Ferrariman Hip-Flop and cRap

Canada
    I always back up my saves when I insert my microSD into my PC. Which is like every second day.

14. Brian117
    OP

United States
    Yeah, that's what I'm doing right now...I never want to encounter that experience again. I'm going to backup all my saves to a special folder.