Hacking Hardware Picofly - a HWFLY switch modchip

haipro287

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Vietnam
I am having problem while installing rp2040 zero with mosfet for my friend's mariko. The mod chip always shows blue-> cyan (I guess) and boots to OFW. but when Nintendo logo appears, click reset button in rp2040, it starts glitching and tada: green led + boots to hekate. It's look like @Rodel said but I have already update v2.64 firmware and removed regulator in rp2040. Please help me figure the problem.

jkyoho

Trophies
Website
form.jotform.com
XP
Country
Canada

Attachments

• 1681316066212.png
    1681316066212.png
    224.6 KB · Views: 104
Reactions: Abbacus

linuxares

The inadequate, autocratic beast!
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Sweden
Will also attempt to add this tonight. I do not personally have any experience with the OLED, but I will do my best to include the most accurate information I can find in V.3
Btw, the "Downloads" on GBAtemp allows you to upload quite big files. I tried to upload your PDF and it allowed the size :) If you don't wanna host it on a filelocker site.

abal1000x

Trophies
XP
Country
Gaza Strip
I am having problem while installing rp2040 zero with mosfet for my friend's mariko. The mod chip always shows blue-> cyan (I guess) and boots to OFW. but when Nintendo logo appears, click reset button in rp2040, it starts glitching and tada: green led + boots to hekate. It's look like @Rodel said but I have already update v2.64 firmware and removed regulator in rp2040. Please help me figure the problem.
blue->cyan->ofw
means the rpi do the glitch, but theres no expected response.
but then you click reset and the glitch happened.

I suspect the clk is troubled. You might try to clean it again with IPA, maybe there is flux residue in there. Or you could try to shorten the wire, to lower the resistance.

i also happened with the blue->cyan, but it never goes green whatever i do. Then i change the mosfet and its working.

rehius

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
no problem, after booting to OFW hold power button and choose "Reset", that should work.

Either that or redo your mosfet setup to increase glitch power (thicker wires, second mosfet, etc)

The glitch algorithm might be improved in later firmware versions to support the auto warm boot trick, but even with that you have to have working OFW.

Reactions: Dee87

haipro287

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Vietnam
no problem, after booting to OFW hold power button and choose "Reset", that should work.

Either that or redo your mosfet setup to increase glitch power (thicker wires, second mosfet, etc)

The glitch algorithm might be improved in later firmware versions to support the auto warm boot trick, but even with that you have to have working OFW.
You mean power options -> restart? I 've just tried that but it didn't work

Dee87

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
a second mosfet will help with ur issue had the same problem fixed it with installing a second mosfet and that did the trick

Reactions: d3vilowns

handsom_tomato

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Japan
Original idea:
Just a quick one... I managed to find a place where the chip sits low enough so it doesn't bulge the case out...

I cut the top half of the ram shield off, left the APU side.
Took off the side rail the ram shield clips down onto. This leaves just enough space for the IC on the bottom of the Picofly to sit in between the group of Switch IC's in that area.

I then insulated the bottom of the Picofly PCB with a double layer of kapton tape.

The top part of the shield was cut away and kapton tape placed over to hold wiring and chip in place - and to insulate any top casing from coming into contact with the chip...

Just in case you need USB one day.
Up to you if you want to remove, but hey... :)
I will repost my image for those who want to install Pico without removing USB ports, etc. In my case, the USB port part protruded about 1mm from the metal plate on the back, but the back cover closed without any problems. By the way, in my installation, unfortunately, one of the capacitors in the APU part went missing somewhere (so I'm soldering the wires directly onto the pad), and only one mosfet is present, but it works without any problems!

Note: You need to remove the shield near the RAM, and there are very small capacitors in that area. You need to work carefully and carefully.

Last edited by handsom_tomato,

haipro287

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Vietnam
really and u still have issue what wires did u use? lets see a picture
I'm using 0.1mm enameled wire. I 've just pulled off sp1 cap while trying to solder the broken wire (but thing goes as the same as before (when the cap still there))

Attachments

• 20230412_235830.jpg
    20230412_235830.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 110

Dee87

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
I'm using 0.1mm enameled wire. I 've just pulled off sp1 cap while trying to solder the broken wire (but thing goes as the same as before (when the cap still there))
u need thicker wires on cap to mosfet and gnd to mosfet thats why its not working properly

on the raspi there are a fec caps u can take of and use them to replace them

Dee87

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany

ClickMe for the caps on rp2040
Post automatically merged:

plus since ur doing 2 mosfets anyways just drive on wire to each cap like i did

View attachment 2022_0213_201214_002.JPG

Can I flash directly to 2.64 brand new rpzero or do I have to flash 2.5 + update than 2.64?
just flash it

Last edited by Dee87,
Reactions: DonZott

haipro287

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Vietnam
u need thicker wires on cap to mosfet and gnd to mosfet thats why its not working properly

I have a lot of 0201 1uf 6.3v cap so it's not a problem, just too lazy to solder it back, too tiny 🤣 maybe I will try a thicker wire. In my local forum, they are using 0.1mm without any problem 😓

But why it worked when I click reset button :(

Last edited by haipro287,

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: Ughhhh so hard to find, "Marmalade Boy" lol my girlfriend wants this weird movie.... I wonder if...