Hacking Homebrew GCN PicoBoot - GameCube IPL replacement modchip using Raspberry Pi Pico

• Thread starter hdx
  • Start date
  • Views 41,090
  • Replies 191
  • Likes 39

Minatavrus

Trophies
XP
Country
Serbia, Republic of
Installed PicoBoot and it works great. But there is a problem: I have a JP version of the console and I turned it into US by soldering a jumper on the pad R6 next to the CPU. So, after installing PicoBoot, the console reset to Japanese when I load the vanilla IPL. Is there a solution??

Last edited by Minatavrus,
Reactions: Donnie-Burger

Donnie-Burger

Trophies
Website
www.youtube.com
XP
Country
United States
Installed PicoBoot and it works great. But there is a problem: I have a JP version of the console and I turned it into US by soldering a jumper on the pad R6 next to the CPU. So, after installing PicoBoot, the console reset to Japanese when I load the vanilla IPL. Is there a solution??
Pico is region free.

Minatavrus

Trophies
XP
Country
Serbia, Republic of
Pico is region free.
I soldered a piece of wire as a jumper and converted the console from Japanese to American version. But after installing Pikoboot, the interface returned to Japanese again, even with this jumper

Attachments

• DSC08124.jpg
    DSC08124.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 92

urbanman2004

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
PicoBoot.png

Meet PicoBoot - the ultimate IPL modchip for GameCube.
  • open source
  • uses off the shelf hardware
  • cheap, Pico costs only $4
  • very easy to program and update
  • easy to install, only 5 wires to solder
  • doesn't require any boot disk to work
  • can boot multiple applications depending on the button pressed

I highly recommend watching below videos to learn how to use it:

:!: Downloads, installation guides: https://github.com/webhdx/PicoBoot
I applied the mod onto a separate GC I acquired recently [w/in the last month], but what sucks is it wouldn't work till I trimmed down the cables to 4" (after researching solutions on reddit and troubleshooting), what's up w/ that? But for whatever reason, I can't get any of my homebrew/emulation apps to recognize the file path on my SD2SP2. I use the following apps: Not64, Enhanced mGBA, FCE Ultra GX, Genesis Plus GX, Snes9x GX, and Visual Boy Advance GX. Anybody else run into this issue?

Reactions: Donnie-Burger

Donnie-Burger

Trophies
Website
www.youtube.com
XP
Country
United States
I applied the mod onto a separate GC I acquired recently [w/in the last month], but what sucks is it wouldn't work till I trimmed down the cables to 4" (after researching solutions on reddit and troubleshooting), what's up w/ that? But for whatever reason, I can't get any of my homebrew/emulation apps to recognize the file path on my SD2SP2. I use the following apps: Not64, Enhanced mGBA, FCE Ultra GX, Genesis Plus GX, Snes9x GX, and Visual Boy Advance GX. Anybody else run into this issue?
Those are working here using default paths.

koffieleut

Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
So I tried to install Picoboot, but when I soldered the wires on to the Mobo (not yet on the Pico) I decided to check if the cube would still work. The LED turns on and the fan spins, but that's it, no disc spin or AV.

Could it be that I destroyed the bios chip while soldering the two wires on it?

I haven't used any flux (because I didn't have flux) though, but I want to try desoldering the chip, clean it and solder it back on. Maybe it fixes my mistake.

CoolMe

"Who am i, what am i?"
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
So I tried to install Picoboot, but when I soldered the wires on to the Mobo (not yet on the Pico)
You should complete the soldering process, set up the Picoboot then test if it's working or not. I think the system is just confused with the soldered wires (you soldered) that go nowhere.
You can't really know that until you solder everything and the Picoboot is set up..
I haven't used any flux (because I didn't have flux) though, but I want to try desoldering the chip, clean it and solder it back on. Maybe it fixes my mistake.
The bios chip? I don't recommend it. Just look if all the leg pins are not broken or bridged. Same for all the soldering work that you did so far.. If they are (on the bios chip), then it depends if it's completely ripped with no trace left, or if there's still a tiny piece left on it, if that's the case you can solder a wire from the leg to the pcb..

Last edited by CoolMe,
Reactions: SylverReZ

SylverReZ

Dat one with the Rez
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
Website
m4x1mumrez87.neocities.org
XP
Country
United Kingdom
You should complete the soldering process, set up the Picoboot then test if it's working or not. I think the system is just confused with the soldered wires (you soldered) that go nowhere.
I prefer checking the connections using a multimeter to see if everything was done correctly.

Reactions: CoolMe

Deleted member 194275

Edson Arantes do Nascimento
Trophies
XP
So I tried to install Picoboot, but when I soldered the wires on to the Mobo (not yet on the Pico) I decided to check if the cube would still work. The LED turns on and the fan spins, but that's it, no disc spin or AV.

If you wired as expected, you are already shorting pins (the ground wire touches two pins), so maybe it's intentional.

Anyway, you don't need paste nor flux to do this job, and soldering points ate large, if you messed up it would be visible.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: i think im a bad person