Hacking Homebrew GCN PicoBoot - GameCube IPL replacement modchip using Raspberry Pi Pico

• Thread starter hdx
  • Start date
  • Views 41,055
  • Replies 191
  • Likes 39

hdx

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
No matter the wire length and thickness I'm just unable to make the intermittent boots go away (tried 24AWG, 30AWG, kynar, made the wires less than 15cm, tried to give the pico an alternative ground, etc).

It's not a dealbreaker, as it does work most of the time, but 'ts still kinda annoying.
On the original diagram it says to bridge GP6&7, you can bridge 6, 7 and 8 and see if that resolves the issue.

Reactions: Donnie-Burger

ghjfdtg

Trophies
XP
Country
Fwiw i would personally go the other way around. Put the Pico or whatever RP2040 board fits inside and route the USB port outside. Keep in mind USB uses a differential pair so keep D+ and D- together (twisting will work). The only remaining issue is how to enter bootloader mode without the button but i believe you can force the RP2040 in bootloader mode via software.

Why would i do that? Because USB is virtually immune to noise and the wires going to the mainboard should be as short as possible.

skawo

Trophies
XP
Country
On the original diagram it says to bridge GP6&7, you can bridge 6, 7 and 8 and see if that resolves the issue.
Hm. Maybe it's booting more frequently now? Not entirely sure - still got a couple instances of just a black screen or IPL booting despite B being held down (I have it set-up so that the IPL is what's meant to boot by default). Power light on the Pico appears in both cases.

Thanks for the help, in any case.

Donnie-Burger

Trophies
Website
www.youtube.com
XP
Country
United States
Don't cut the chassis, you can bend it a little bit and let cables through. Bending is reversible, cutting is not.
Just for you :) I always forget to slide the heat shrink tube :) Next time :) Really digging all the gamecube mods!
Finally got these setup - working:
In game reset (Z+A+Start)
GBi
Disc Ripper
Controller tester
Nes
Snes
Genesis
Gameboy
Gameboy Color
Gameboy advance
Master system
Game gear

Last edited by Donnie-Burger,

MisakiRol

Trophies
XP
Country
Japan
Okidoki guys, here’s the 411... I'm not new to modding. Have done some pretty hairy PS2 modding back in the day. I don't like going and asking for assistance at every bump in the process... I tend to do my research and try to tackle it again... Order my Raspberry Pi Pico, correct wire, I already had flux and a very nice soldering station... The Gamecube I installed it in were two. One Japanese Orange Spiced console with the gameboy advance player and a Japanese Silver with same... I installed both chips after flashing the Pico. Prepped my microSD popped in SP2 and Bob's your uncle! It worked... Played a little bit of Luigi's Mansion, turned it off and on again and the DAMN thing boots into the Vanilla GC... Turned it off and on again same thing... I did my research, reinstalled SWISS to no avail... I also shortened the wires greatly and even went so far as to try different wire. This changes nothing... SWISS will boot cold first time but the minute you turn it off and on again it boots GC Vanilla... Wait some time and it'll boot into SWISS again... This is on both the Orange and Silver... I know both BIOS batteries need replacing and was going to do so after I got the PICOboot to work properly every time... Could this be the problem? Seems very unlikely... Or did I just get a crap shipment of Raspberry Pi Picos? Any ideas would be greatly appreciated...

Donnie-Burger

Trophies
Website
www.youtube.com
XP
Country
United States
Okidoki guys, here’s the 411... I'm not new to modding. Have done some pretty hairy PS2 modding back in the day. I don't like going and asking for assistance at every bump in the process... I tend to do my research and try to tackle it again... Order my Raspberry Pi Pico, correct wire, I already had flux and a very nice soldering station... The Gamecube I installed it in were two. One Japanese Orange Spiced console with the gameboy advance player and a Japanese Silver with same... I installed both chips after flashing the Pico. Prepped my microSD popped in SP2 and Bob's your uncle! It worked... Played a little bit of Luigi's Mansion, turned it off and on again and the DAMN thing boots into the Vanilla GC... Turned it off and on again same thing... I did my research, reinstalled SWISS to no avail... I also shortened the wires greatly and even went so far as to try different wire. This changes nothing... SWISS will boot cold first time but the minute you turn it off and on again it boots GC Vanilla... Wait some time and it'll boot into SWISS again... This is on both the Orange and Silver... I know both BIOS batteries need replacing and was going to do so after I got the PICOboot to work properly every time... Could this be the problem? Seems very unlikely... Or did I just get a crap shipment of Raspberry Pi Picos? Any ideas would be greatly appreciated...
I only see this on sd2sp2 and never on sdgecko. Took me a while to figure this out. Try cleaning the port with ipa and then drying / testing again or get a sd gecko :)

mrdude

Developer
Developer
Trophies
XP
FYI Pico W is released, I imagine the code that sits on the pico can easily work on that as it uses the same chip - however with the PICO W you should be able to upgrade the firmware via wifi.

Gallaer

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I tried doing Picoboot and all the wires were soldered to the correct places. But the Gamecube doesn't even turn on now. Idk what happened. I'd pay for a professional modder to install it properly for me at this point cause I just don't think I can handle this. I just don't know who to turn to.

Attachments

• 20220816_175332.mp4
    12 MB

Donnie-Burger

Trophies
Website
www.youtube.com
XP
Country
United States
I tried doing Picoboot and all the wires were soldered to the correct places. But the Gamecube doesn't even turn on now. Idk what happened. I'd pay for a professional modder to install it properly for me at this point cause I just don't think I can handle this. I just don't know who to turn to.
Test without dvd drive to make sure no pinches. Re-check all points and make sure no bridging, solder splash and of course make sure they are all going to the correct points. Make wires as short as possible.

hdx

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
You shorted something because you can see how power LED goes off which means overcurrent protection trips in. Show your soldering job.

aphexacid

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
So I’ve done 6 of these so far. The first 3 pack of pi’s I bought off Amazon installed without a hitch. 5 - 6 inches of 26awg wire. No problems.

The next 3 pack off Amazon I got were different. Inconsistent boots on all. And sometimes it won’t find the SD card whether it’s in sp2 or in a gecko.
Out of 10 tries, they would boot to Swiss 50%. Was going nuts!

So I shortened the wires to 4 inches maybe even a touch less. 2 cubes now are working great. But I have still a unit that deviates. It doesn’t boot to anything occasionally. It’s better, but not perfect. I shortened the wires to the max. Anything shorter will be very difficult to disassemble if it was needed.

So, could be wonky batch of pi’s? Particular GC versions? Or maybe location needs to be as close to solder points as possible with extremely short wires.

To be clear, when the boot doesn’t not go to Swiss, it’s just a black screen game cube an fan are 100% on.

I thought also it could be a tv handshake problem maybe.
I’ve tried oem av cables. Official Nintendo component cables with ossc and rt5x. And a prism hdmi adapter with GC video 3.1. All same.

Also one thing I found interesting is that if you don’t have a dvd drive installed at all, and you have to go adjust calendar or manage memory card, it won’t allow you. It will tell you to consult the manual there was an error. So I find my self keeping dead drives installed just to a sound that problem.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: @salazarcosplay, I'm good. Thanks.