Pi Zero W GBA [WIP]

TechieAndroid

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I am making a Pi Zero W GBA and have had much trouble finding a proper screen for the project. I need a screen 2.8"-3.5" it needs to be powered by the Pi. Otherwise I will have to use the same battery that I will use for the Pi (haven't started looking for this yet) and just modify the power from it to the screen to make sure it gets the correct amount, I really don't want to do it this way but I will if necessary.

I don't know whether or not to connect the display to the HDMI (I will solder it if I use the HDMI option) or via the GPIO pins, I would like to know the specifics of using the GPIO pins for it (like will it look okay for playing GBA games, color depth and resolution wise? ).

So far here's what I've got going:
I have a brand new working GBA which I plan to use the shell/case and part of the board (the part for the buttons) unless I decide to send off and have custom PCBs made for that, I'm still thinking about this. I'm planning on using the Pi Zero W for it's size and wireless capability (I plan on keeping it inside the gba at all times).

//Total Parts:

GBA (have)
Pi Zero W (have)
Screen
Battery

//Here's the original GBA screen specs:

Screen: HQVGA 240x160 3:2 2.9 inches

Color support: 15-bit BGR (5 bits depth per channel), capable of displaying 512 simultaneous colors in "character mode" and

32,768 (215) simultaneous colors in "bitmap mode".

//Here are the current displays that I have found. Let me know what you think.

[EDIT]
I for some reason couldn't add these links.

Last edited by TechieAndroid,

TechieAndroid

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Use a ili9341 screen, look that up on EBay, they have screens from 2.8" to 2.2"
and they are fairly cheap.

Thank you my friend, I believe you have found what I'm looking for. Only disconcerting thing I see about it is that some have reported screen tearing, is it going to look bad for simple games such as GB, GBC, GBA, NES or SNES?

DeoNaught

I'm here to steal memes and break dreams
Trophies
Website
Gbatemp.net
XP
Country
United States
Thank you my friend, I believe you have found what I'm looking for. Only disconcerting thing I see about it is that some have reported screen tearing, is it going to look bad for simple games such as GB, GBC, GBA, NES or SNES?
Naw, it should work fine.

The Sudomod forums have rpi zero experience then Gbatemp does, So You shuold check there too.

DeoNaught

Trophies
Website
Gbatemp.net
XP
Country
United States

TechieAndroid

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States

TechieAndroid

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Why don't you just get the freeplay zero kit? It has the PCB and screen included. You just solder the GPIO pins to it, trim the case and your done.

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1227007236/freeplay-zero-freeplay-cm3-by-freeplaytech

I have the expertise to save my $$$ that's why I don't want to take the easy way. Plus I plan on fabricating my own custom PCBs anyways.

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

@DeoNaught
I made a mistake earlier about the batteries, I said "5A" as in Amp when that should have been 5000 mAh, which is completely different. The more mAh the better, I just don't want to push 5A through a Pi Zero W because it'll kill it instantly. And according to a chart I saw on Pi Zero power consumption, 1A should be enough, 1.5A would probably be ideal.

DeoNaught

Trophies
Website
Gbatemp.net
XP
Country
United States
@DeoNaught
I made a mistake earlier about the batteries, I said "5A" as in Amp when that should have been 5000 mAh, which is completely different. The more mAh the better, I just don't want to push 5A through a Pi Zero W because it'll kill it instantly. And according to a chart I saw on Pi Zero power consumption, 1A should be enough, 1.5A would probably be ideal.[/QUOTE]
Depends on what you are powering from the pi,

like if you plan to use something like a teensy, and other stuff, your gonna want around 2A,

but I think if you are doing something like GPIO pins for controller, pwm audio, and what not, 1.5A should be fine.

I think

DeoNaught

Trophies
Website
Gbatemp.net
XP
Country
United States
It looks fine, Are do you plan to use the adafruit powerboost?

also check amazon for adafruit parts, I got a powerboost from there a lot cheaper than Adafruit themselves.

TechieAndroid

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I got the PowerBoost 1000 because it converts it to a 5V 1A input for the Pi Zero W. And I got that Li-Po 3.7V 2500 mAh battery because it's small, will last long and it was what the PowerBoost could use. So... I believe I have everything ordered now, I just have to wait for everything to arrive and the assemble. I also got this screen: 3.2" TFT LCD SSD1289 ILI9341 and this MicroSD which is OP: SanDisk Extreme Pro 16GB MicroSDHC UHS-1

Last edited by TechieAndroid,
Reactions: DeoNaught

TechieAndroid

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
//Cost & Parts

These are my totals which includes tax and shipping (I rounded up).

$0 GBA (I've had this for some time)

$12 Raspberry Pi Zero W

$16 Lithium Ion Polymer Battery - 3.7v 2500mAh

$17 SanDisk Extreme Pro 16GB MicroSDHC UHS-1

$20 PowerBoost 1000 Charger - Rechargeable 5V Lipo USB Boost @ 1A - 1000C

$25 3.2" TFT LCD SSD1289 ILI9341

Total = $90

Cost of Freeplay Zero ≃ $125 give or take

Saved ~ $35

I think my build will be better quality than a Freeplay Zero because of the battery and some other factors.

DeoNaught

Trophies
Website
Gbatemp.net
XP
Country
United States
//Cost & Parts

These are my totals which includes tax and shipping (I rounded up).

$0 GBA (I've had this for some time)

$12 Raspberry Pi Zero W

$16 Lithium Ion Polymer Battery - 3.7v 2500mAh

$17 SanDisk Extreme Pro 16GB MicroSDHC UHS-1

$20 PowerBoost 1000 Charger - Rechargeable 5V Lipo USB Boost @ 1A - 1000C

$25 3.2" TFT LCD SSD1289 ILI9341

Total = $90

Cost of Freeplay Zero ≃ $125 give or take

Saved ~ $35

I think my build will be better quality than a Freeplay Zero because of the battery and some other factors.

So you do have a soldering iron already?

TechieAndroid

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
So... Im going to video my project when I start building it and I'll upload it to YouTube. I have a custom made tripod that holds my OnePlus One that'll be videoing in 1080p. Shouldn't be but about a week on getting all the parts in.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    ZeroT21 @ ZeroT21: horny jail is full la