PHPBB or IPB?

Discussion in 'Computer Games and General Discussion' started by Splych, Aug 7, 2009.

Aug 7, 2009

PHPBB or IPB? by Splych at 5:53 PM (4,112 Views / 0 Likes) 23 replies

1. Splych
    OP

Member Splych GBAtemp's Lurker

Philippines
    So I was thinking of making a forum for roleplaying. Like just for fun ^^.

Simple Role-playing... That's all.

Want it to be easily customizable and can add extra stuff (chat-box, arcade etc.).

I was also thinking of using Forumer as a host as well for either... But yea. Just tell me which are better with the pros and cons ^^.

Thanks,
    Splych

2. Splych
    OP

Philippines
    PHPBB and IPB...

Mhm... So I really suck at understanding xDD. IPB by FAR? That mean IPB is better or is it far behind PHPBB. I never got to ask yet, but which is better between two PHPBB forums: PHPBB 2 or 3? I saw two versions but never really knew why... There were two of them.

Also, I am gonna be working by myself. First to see how well either forum works. I've seen a bunch of free hosts, but been wondering which one would be best. So far, I've tried Zeta, Invision Free and Forumer. Never liked Zeta... and Invision Free seemed nice, but I felt that it was outdated. Forumer did have all I needed though...

3. Rock Raiyu

Member Rock Raiyu Clock Up

United States
    IPB is better but that's if you're willing to dish out some money for a license. IPB costs money while PHPBB is free and does everything you need and want it for.

4. Frederica Bernkastel

Member Frederica Bernkastel WebPerf and PWA advocate; @antoligy on Twitter

United Kingdom
    IBP costs money, and can't handle that much. (GBAtemp is switching to vBulletin soon)

phpBB is free, and although a little messier in terms of its code, is easier to maintain etc...
    I'd recomend getting phpBB3, then installing http://www.fullymoddedphpbb.com/ , which will install pretty much every mod you'll ever need.

of course, there is SMF... and vBulletin, just addons are less frequent for those.

5. UltraMagnus

Member UltraMagnus hic sunt dracones

United Kingdom
    neither really, although if i had to choose, I would say phpbb.

I personally think that something like phorum or SMF is better though.

Never had or seen anything but trouble with IPB.

6. Splych
    OP

Philippines
    IPB... Nyeh. I am too confused. Since a bunch of people say some stuff about both xDD.

I might end up going with PHPBB since a bunch of people said that it was pretty good. And easier to handle. Personally, I've used IPB but don't know if PHPBB might be any better. And btw, I used one of the older versions of PHPBB... Not the newer one... It was hosted at Invision Free... So yea.

7. strata8

Member strata8 Look! A pointless distraction!

Australia
    What, may I ask, is wrong with Zetaboards? I use it for my forums and it functions really well.

Well, it seems like no-one actually read your post properly [​IMG]. Seeing as your going for a free host, the scale is pretty much balanced. Currently, ALL free IPB hosts use IPB 1.3, which is old and slightly buggy, and a bit hard to use, but it's got the nice feel and features that most people are used to.

phpBB, on the other hand, is more on the 'easy to use' side. It's still got heaps of features, and you'll find it really easy to set up.

Suggestions for hosts:
    phpBB: Forumer
    ipbFree: ipbFree (you can also use Forumer, but I chose these guys because they have a really nice default theme, plus heaps of pre-installed mods you can use. You can add your own skins, of course.)

8. Splych
    OP

Philippines
    I have an ipbFree forum. It had a nice feel to it. I don't like Zeta mainly cause the name... Bleh. I hate the name. Zeta >_

9. Rock Raiyu

Member Rock Raiyu Clock Up

United States
    Wait, GBATemp is switching to vBulletin?

vBulletin costs some money too if I remember. So that's not a good decision. But SMF I agree is great,

So in my opinion, if you have the money I'd get IPB since it has more mods then vBulletin. But if you don't plan on installing any mods, I'd go with vBulletin. As for a free message board, I'd choose SMF. Even though PHPBB3 is prety nice looking and sleek, SMF is much easier to customize and handle in my opinion.

10. tj_cool

Supervisor tj_cool Stuff

Belgium
    Is GBAtemp going to vBulletin? [​IMG]
    Why would they do that? Is IPB not good enough? Have they tried the newest IPB v3.0.2 (currently its v2, updating seems to be free)?

It has some cool new features btw: Reputation system, Private topics (same as PM: you share it only with the people you want), ...

11. coolbho3000

Member coolbho3000 GBATemp Kikkoman Naturally Brewed SoySauce Fanatic

GBAtemp is such a heavily customized IPB I don't see them upgrading to a newer version of the board let alone a new forum software without some very major overhaul.

12. Frederica Bernkastel

Member Frederica Bernkastel WebPerf and PWA advocate; @antoligy on Twitter

United Kingdom
    Ugh,
    free forum hosts are the worst thing ever.
    seriously
    you don't get access to most of the options, you can't upload your own mods/styles
    you get a customised ACP (which has been fugly in every case I'[ve seen)
    etc...

just get a host with an auto application installer (say... http://x10hosting.com)..

13. Splych
    OP

Philippines
    *Bookmarks the free host*

Anyway. I've been too into making a new PC... But the things you guys say, I bookmarked some of the sites you said. I will not pay for a forum... At least not now... But maybe in the future.

14. strata8

Australia
    If you want a free host, I'd recommend http://hosthelpers.com. I use them for my own site and they're fantastic. [​IMG]

15. Splych
    OP

Philippines
    Bookmarked. Many free hosts... I should look up some guides now.

I've always wanted to try a free Wordpress host and forum host. Any guides out there to help make this possible?

16. strata8

Australia
    Most free hosts with cPanel come with Fantastico, which is an automatic site software setup tool. All you need to do is enter the installation directory, user info, etc, and the installer handles the rest [​IMG]

Alternatively, if they have cPanel but not Fantastico, you can use the Site Software feature, which is basically the same thing but with less features. [​IMG]

17. dlf

Member dlf GBAtemp Fan

United States
    Invision Power Board (IPB), they recently released 3.0 & a new product (CCS) which allows YOU to make (custom) pages how YOU want.

18. Quick-zeno

Member Quick-zeno GBAtemp Regular

Canada
    if gbatemp switches to vbulletin.

A) They will lose half the user base (imho)
    B) I'm gone for sure, i hate vbulletin

19. Cermage

Member Cermage GBAtemp Advanced Maniac

Australia
    yeah the torrented copies of vbulletin are illegal. some hosts even say in their eula when signing up, subscription will be terminated if illegal copies of vbulletin are found.

vbulletin while the most secure, isnt worth the pricetag. unless you have some really important information being shared on your forums.

20. raing3

Member raing3 CNET_Richard

Australia
    spammer fuckxor