Hacking Photoshop Simplicity for custom banners

CorteX_

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
If you're creating custom banners, photoshop is a must-have.
This is basically a tutorial that explains how to take advantage of the wonderful features and apply them for use with custom banners
smile.gif

In this example, we're gonna turn DK Country 2 into Secret of Mana with beautiful banners.

First, if you don't know how to decrypt virtual console files, follow this tutorial: http://gbatemp.net/index.php?showtopic=912...p;#entry1217272

Grab a picture you would like to use.
I used this one.
Right click it and select copy.
secret_of_mana.jpg

Start photoshop, and click file --> new.
Enter 256 for width, and 192 for height, also set it to 8-bit color.
I can't stress this enough.. an image bigger will fuck your wii up, so just stick to this tutorial.

Now hit ctrl+v and your image should appear, just way off bounds.
Press M and then right click the image and choose free transform.

step2iu5.png

Now resize the image around til it auto-snaps on the picture frame, it's a perfect fit
tongue.gif
If you like, make a few adjustments, I did.

som2nv1.png

Looks fine to me
smile.gif

Now click file --> save as and enter what you like, but make sure you save it as a BMP!
Then inject your banner as usual.

Now for the savegame part..
Open the file that contains the images for savegames and extract the last image (the one that says only SNES).
Now, open your extracted file with photoshop, and paste the image you would like to use (I used the same) into it, transforming it to make it fit again.
Check the layers tab on the right, select the layer you just pasted in and play with the opacity slider to make sure that some of the SNES logo comes thru.
Then save the files individually.
These are mine:

som25id2.png

25% Opacity

som75dt9.png

75% Opacity

som100cb9.png

100% Opacity

Now for the boxart.. extract it and just transform the image again.

somboxkw1.png

Like this..

Inject with injectuwad or whatever and enjoy!
CorteX

CorteX_

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
Thanks for the feedback!

T-Hideki// said:
Uh, how do you "inject" a banner into a WAD? Because last time I checked you could only do it by unpacking the wad, ect...
You still have to unpack all the files, link is at the top.
This tutorial is only for safe banner creation, because most bricks occur due to oversized images etc.

CorteX_

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
T-Hideki// said:
Maybe we can start a custom channel tips thread? Like how to make reflections and stuff... Cuz I guess I could contribute to that.

Good Job, though.
Personally I'd like to see a big section in the wiki about everything, from injections to creating custom banners etc.
Then we can put all the bits and pieces from everyone together and have a ton of information instead of searching thru the forums
smile.gif

ChronoX_

Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
CorteX_ said:
T-Hideki// said:
Maybe we can start a custom channel tips thread? Like how to make reflections and stuff... Cuz I guess I could contribute to that.

Good Job, though.
Personally I'd like to see a big section in the wiki about everything, from injections to creating custom banners etc.
Then we can put all the bits and pieces from everyone together and have a ton of information instead of searching thru the forums
smile.gif

I believe everyone can add stuff to the Wiki, why don't you start and ask people to update it?
rolleyes.gif

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • BigOnYa
  • BakerMan
    I rather enjoy a life of taking it easy. I haven't reached that life yet though.
    BigOnYa @ BigOnYa: Announcer - "Ok folks we have a good fight today, Bakerman takes on Wario. This should be a good...