Phillips flatscreen TV resolution problems???

Discussion in 'General Off-Topic Chat' started by luckwii, Jun 21, 2010.

Jun 21, 2010
  1. luckwii
    OP

Member luckwii GBAtemp Fan

United States
    First off, here is the equipment I have and how I am trying to use it. I have a Phillips 32" flatscreen. I get the coax style/cable box signal from the service provider. I use an HDMI cable from my laptop to my TV when watching movies etc., via AVI files usually. Then, the Wii is hooked up composite.

My problem is that the image seems kind of grainy when watching movies and TV, either via cable or HDMI link. It is almost like there is massive compression or something because the image looks like there are a lot less pixels. Almost like there are big square chunks of image instead of fine pixels. Is this something that is common now from the cable provider? The AVI signal I can kind of expect to be lower quality. I can liuve with the AVI because I want storage space. I would think for the money, the cable input would be cleaner though.

So, the reason I ask all this is I am wondering if maybe the TV itself is having issues. I've gone through all the TV settings. I am not even wure what to look up online or ask to see if I am getting lower than normal image quality. Anyone have anything to shed light on this?

2. epicelite

Member epicelite Equal opportunity ass kicker.

United States
    Did u try messing with the TV's settings? :3

3. luckwii
    OP

United States
    Of course.

4. OSW

Former Staff OSW Wii King

Australia
    I'm not sure... but I also have a problem with my panasonic TV hooked up to PC via DVI to HDMI adapter, the colors are rather poor compared to normal TV broadcast/or PC vga screen...

5. Penrod Barker

Newcomer Penrod Barker Newbie

United States
    It's probably your source. Analog cable and downloaded videos will look like trash on an HDTV due to their lower resolution and compression.

6. luckwii
    OP

United States
    I can see the AVI format files being lower quality. I am happy with those as they don't take a lot of space. I have digital cable however, so I don't know if it is just super compressed from the cable provider.

I was thinking of running a BLU Ray iso or DVD installed on my hard drive and using Daemon tools to mount it. Will this work? Am I correct in assuming this would answer my question of wether or not the TV is at fault? I don't own a BLU Ray player. The TV is 720P.