PS1/2 Phat PS2 with scratchy/staticy audio on startup.

ChiefReginod

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Is this a common issue?

It's the same when connecting via either composite or RF to a CRT TV. Also tested with external speakers via composite. The static begins on startup even with nothing else attached but the A/V cables (removed all controllers, memory cards and the network adapter). It persists until powering off the system. Sometimes it's a few seconds before the static begins.

I've had this same system for 10+ years and it's very clean, so I'm guessing a capacitor went bad or something. If you have a similar issue and don't know how to fix it, please post anyway so we can get an idea if this is happening to more than a few consoles as they age.

MottZilla

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Did you verify the AV cable is good?

I'm not sure I've heard of failing caps causing audio to become scratchy or have static noise. Usually failing caps leads to a volume reduction often to the point of no audio. Another thought, did you do a close inspection of the AV port on the console? Make sure there are no bent or damaged pins.

ChiefReginod

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I tried another AV cable but got the same results. I also tried cleaning the AV port on the console and the cable connectors with isopropyl alcohol.

The main reason I think it might be a bad cap is that I've had it in the same spot in my entertainment center for years with no change until recently. Last time I played anything on it was sometime last year and it's been unplugged since then. So, no bumps anything like that. I mean it could be some other component, but either way it seems like more of an issue of age than wear and tear.

MottZilla

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
You might need to open it up. Before you do you might want to track down a service manual for the model you have. Often they have schematics so you could find out what capacitors are involved in audio output. That will make it a lot easier so you don't have to examine all the caps on the board. Especially if it is a bad capacitor that doesn't have obvious signs of failure.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    AncientBoi @ AncientBoi: What the hell was that Syl?