Homebrew RELEASE pFBA: final burn alpha

cpasjuste

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
France
Hi cpasjuste, thanks for letting me know, I have done some further testing. I set all the options off by default, and then started to enable each one to see if I could notice a difference. I wasn't sure what "Audio Interpolation" and "Audio Fm Interpolation" actually do? so I left them off.

When "FORCE_AUDIO_SYNC" is enabled by itself, then it will cause the game stuttering, very noticeable in CPS1, CPS2 and Neogeo. But if both "FORCE_60HZ" and "FORCE_AUDIO_SYNC" is enabled at the same time, it is fine and smooth.

I also tried a "Data East" game to test, so I loaded "Robocop 2" (because the rom loads instantly) and its the same deal.
Both "force 60hz" and "force audio sync" must be enabled to get it to play smoothly however the music is strange and it keeps repeating itself when I played first level.

View attachment 161528

I'm thinking that "force 60hz" must be enabled for all for all games to run smooth, I just tested "Rolling Thunder" and "Kung Fu master" noticed the same stuttery effect.
script>
I will do more testing, but it may be a normal behavior (when you enable force 60hz you loose in emulator accuracy, you don't get the native frequency you get on real hardware. Maybe some screens doesn't like it). Do you test on TV or in handled mode?

Last edited by cpasjuste,

Winklepicker

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
I will do more testing, but it may be a normal behavior (when you enable force 60hz you loose in emulator accuracy, you don't get the native frequency you get on real hardware. Maybe some screens doesn't like it). Do you test on TV or in handled mode?

This is all on handheld mode, havent tested it on fullscreen mode so it might display differently. I'm also on SX OS, not sure if that makes any difference to the performance?

Does your version of "knights.zip" work? Knights of the round cps1?

if I notice anymore games with symptoms I will let you know and post them here.

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

A quick update,

On the main roms list I have "SHOW" = "WORKING"

The roms list shows "ZX spectrum" games showing up green on the list, even though they arent on my switch or in the roms folder.

Last edited by Winklepicker,

cpasjuste

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
France
Hi there, i just uploaded a new version (3.1), see first post for downloads link.
I also uploaded a linux (ubuntu 18.04) build for easier skin development (remove zipped skins from "skins" folder and put your unzipped skin files there).

• skins: use zipped skins (put zipped skins in "skins" directory)
  • skins: add skin selection to main options menu
  • skins: change "skin" path to "skins"
  • skins: change "ROM_ITEM" name/type to "TEXT"
  • skins: add "color_missing", "color_not_working" and "highlight_use_text_color" options to "ROM_LIST > TEXT" skin config
  • options menu: set states options menu at the first place, for easier in game access
  • states menu: fix bug to return to main menu with back button
  • states: allow loading a rom with it's state from the main rom menu
  • states menu: add tween position for a better effect
  • switch: input: use joystick click/press for either start (left joycon) or select (right joycon) on single joycon mode

cpasjuste

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
France
Hello, i just released a minor update (3.2) with the following changes:
  • pfba: neogeo: fix bios selection, add unibios 3.3 support (needs "uni-bios_3_3.rom" in neogeo.zip)
  • pfba: neogeo: use "COINS + FIRE3" for service switch, "COINS + FIRE4" for "P1/P2" switch (this leave START for in-game unibios menus (http://unibios.free.fr/howitworks.html)
  • pfba: fix audio interpolations options

cpasjuste

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
France
Yet another minor update, last one for today :) Version 3.3 is up:
  • pfba: fix "FORCE_60HZ" option not always applied

@Winklepicker, "FORCE_60HZ" option is now correctly working, and will work with or without audio sync (when this option is enabled, the "target fps" is now correctly set to 60 instead 59...). By the way, you need to reload the rom if the setting is changed in-game. Also, you need to launch pFBA with hb menu nsp, or in any way that allow full memory/resources.
Finally, knight of the rounds doesn't work here either, i guess the romset got updated recently (you can try with mame 0.207 rom as fba/pfba is in sync with this).

Winklepicker

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
@cpasjuste I would like to say "thank you very much" for the new release, you really are doing such a fantastic job for the Switch Homebrew community, these emulators really are fantastic!

I love the fact you have enabled both boxart and screenshots to be enabled with the right trigger etc. Btw I got "Knights.zip" working, it turns out I just needed to find a certain rom for it to work, was difficult to find but I got that game working, so all good now. This emulator is working great! I'm going to be playing this alot so any bugs etc with games or crashes I'll post them here.

Btw any explanation for how to edit the gui skins etc, change colors, make boxes outlines transparent etc? if I remember you said you were going to be writing something up, no worries if you are busy though. I have some really cool skins ideas I would like to try out for these emulators, I will post them here for people if they wanted them.

@cpasjuste any chance to support Neo GEO CD games? Standalone FBA support em, so adding support for CD game should be trivial

That is a nice idea, Neogeo CD support would be very cool to have.

cpasjuste

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
France
@cpasjuste I would like to say "thank you very much" for the new release, you really are doing such a fantastic job for the Switch Homebrew community, these emulators really are fantastic!

I love the fact you have enabled both boxart and screenshots to be enabled with the right trigger etc. Btw I got "Knights.zip" working, it turns out I just needed to find a certain rom for it to work, was difficult to find but I got that game working, so all good now. This emulator is working great! I'm going to be playing this alot so any bugs etc with games or crashes I'll post them here.

Btw any explanation for how to edit the gui skins etc, change colors, make boxes outlines transparent etc? if I remember you said you were going to be writing something up, no worries if you are busy though. I have some really cool skins ideas I would like to try out for these emulators, I will post them here for people if they wanted them.

That is a nice idea, Neogeo CD support would be very cool to have.
I'm sure you'll figure it out if you take a look a the skin config file!I f you have Ubuntu, it will be easier to make skins (tested on Ubuntu 18.04).

Basically, you remove everything from the "skins" directory, extract the "default.zip" content to this directory. Play with the config file and when you're done zip all that.

zenjiki

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
@cpasjuste First thank you for all the great emulators, even though there is retroarch, i prefer individual emulators and yours are awesome. Just went to download the newest version of pfba, then noticed theres a pemu now? Is that something new? Because I was looking for the latest version of your pSNES and pNES, only to find them under pEMU. All versions say 3.1 including pFBA, but the latest for pFBA on this thread is 3.3 So i'm a bit confused.

cpasjuste

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
France
@cpasjuste First thank you for all the great emulators, even though there is retroarch, i prefer individual emulators and yours are awesome. Just went to download the newest version of pfba, then noticed theres a pemu now? Is that something new? Because I was looking for the latest version of your pSNES and pNES, only to find them under pEMU. All versions say 3.1 including pFBA, but the latest for pFBA on this thread is 3.3 So i'm a bit confused.
The pEMU repo now contains all my emulators, who share the same codebase. There is pFBA 3.3, but (unfortunately) it's alphabetically ordered so you have to scroll down.

Reactions: zenjiki

dormeus

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Is there an easy way to hide the 48k spectrum entries in the roms list? I guess I can make a favourites list of everything but them, just thought I’d ask if there’s fix. Thanks

Winklepicker

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Is there an easy way to hide the 48k spectrum entries in the roms list? I guess I can make a favourites list of everything but them, just thought I’d ask if there’s fix. Thanks

I have this problem aswell, I asked it afew posts ago.

We should write it on the "pfba" github for cpasjuste so he can fix, just in case he dosent see it here.

Last edited by Winklepicker,

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Sorry for accidentally bending over