Peggle DS IGN Review/Discussion

Discussion in 'NDS - Console and Game Discussions' started by Icey, Feb 24, 2009.

Feb 24, 2009

Peggle DS IGN Review/Discussion by Icey at 11:49 PM (4,817 Views / 0 Likes) 29 replies

1. Icey
    OP

Member Icey GBAtemp Fan

United States
    February 23, 2009 - PopCap is a master of the casual game, but there's nothing casual about most gamers' obsession with Peggle. Once you get a taste of Extreme Fever you'll be fiending for your next fix of "Ode to Joy." Peggle is one of the most addictive games of the last few years. If you've avoided it so far on PC and iPod, this is a great package to get started with. Peggle DS includes the original game, the Peggle Nights expansion, and original levels developed by Q Entertainment (Lumines, Meteos).

For the uninitiated, Peggle can be described as a cross between pachinko and pinball. Players are presented with a field of blue and orange pegs, and the orange need to be cleared in order to pass a level. You fire tiny balls from the top of the screen and watch them bounce their way to the bottom, clearing any pegs they come into contact with on their way. The challenge is that, once you've fired, things are pretty much out of your hands and physics will take its course. You also have a limited amount of shots to work with.
    [​IMG]
    You'd be forgiven if you thought Peggle sounded too simplistic to be fun. But it only takes a few moments with the game to be completely swept away. There is something hypnotic about watching your balls make their way through the maze of pegs, listening to the plunky sound effects, and maybe landing in the free ball bucket. Haters might claim too much is left to chance, but there are plenty of opportunities for making skill shots.

Lending the game personality are the Peggle Masters, a group of animals you unlock as you play. Each Master has a unique power-up ability. Bjorn Unicorn, for instance, can display a "guide" for your ball, revealing how it will bounce after you launch. To initiate each animal's power-up you simply need to hit the green pegs on screen.

There will also be one purple peg that moves locations after every shot. Nailing these will give you a big point boost, but here in Dual Shot they have added functionality. If you hit five purple pegs in one round you'll enter a bonus zone where you bounce your ball around a room collecting gems. Collect enough and you'll earn an extra ball to use back in your current level.

Here on the DS most of your aiming is handled with the stylus. You can use the D-pad for slight movements left and right, and if you hold the stylus on a position for a moment a zoomed-in view will be displayed on the top screen for precise aiming. This all works well, but to launch a ball normally you have to remove your stylus and make your way over to the A button. Sure, it's only a couple inches, but allowing us to launch with the L or R buttons might have made for a more fluid experience. You can launch with L or R while zoomed in so that your stylus can keep aim. One other issu:, when zoomed in, if you're near the top of the playing field the edge of the DS screen can prevent you from aiming in one or more directions. It's not a problem in most situations – only when zooming in near the edge of the screen.

The Nights expansion that is included here offers the same gameplay over a load of new levels, only they're set at night (there's also an additional Master to be found). Add in the extra Q Entertainment levels that are exclusive to Dual Shot and you've got 125 levels of Peggle goodness here. After earning your diploma from the Peggle Institute there are fun challenge stages that require you to earn a certain amount of points. Grab a friend and you can take them on in Duel mode. This is a competitive mode using one DS where players take turns firing balls and try to get the highest score.

Closing Comments
    Peggle is a harmonious combination of simple, addictive gameplay and engaging sights and sounds. The design has been mostly successfully ported to the DS, although the interface isn't quite as smooth as it could be. That "certain something" is definitely still here, though, and if you haven't yet been introduced to Peggle you should set aside some time. A lot of time.
    8.6/10 (Great!)
    ---------------------------------------
    So who else is looking forward to this? I know I can't be the only one. Who has played other iterations of Peggle? I have it for my iPod classic and have beat the adventure mode and am working on the challenge mode. I've also beat Peggle Nights on PC. I can't wait to beat the DS version. [​IMG]

2. ZeroEXE93

Member ZeroEXE93 GBAtemp Advanced Fan

United States
    THAT'S WHAT SHE SAID >_>

Jokes aside, I've never played this nor have I heard of it until I read the review. It sounds interesting enough though so I'll try out the online version first.

3. MAD_BOY

Member MAD_BOY Lazy bum

Netherlands
    Got Peggle Deluxe, Peggle Nights, Peggle Extreme and Peggle on my iPod nano 4G.
    Obviously, I'll be buying this one too.

4. blanco613

Member blanco613 GBAtemp Regular

United States
    looks cool ill give it a try

(just saying i didn't read that long thing u wrote just looked at pictures

5. Mr.Mister

Member Mr.Mister GBAtemp Regular

United States
    Please Xenophobia! Let there be a kind soul to dump this game a couple days early before release!

6. Vague Rant

Member Vague Rant Deceptively cute

Australia
    I've never played any Peggle games, but I have to say, this does sound extremely simple. Is it a budget title or anything? I just have a hard time viewing this as having the same value as say, Mario Kart DS.

7. Icey
    OP

Member Icey GBAtemp Fan

United States
    It's simple yet addictive. I don't know the price tag ($30 I would think) but try the PC free trial before you judge it. Originally Peggle and Peggle Nights (Both for PC) were $20.00 each. (although there's a sale right now) And Peggle DS includes both. So I consider it worth the money. (most likely $30.00)

8. FlatFrogger

Member FlatFrogger GBAtemp Regular

United Kingdom
    Peggle is digital crack, if you haven't played it before stay away or you will regret it. D:

9. concealed identi

Member concealed identi GBAtemp Fan

Japan
    The concept sounds lame as fuck, but I've known way too many people who've been addicted to it to judge it based on how I think it plays. I'll definitely give this one a shot with an open mind.

10. jesterscourt

Member jesterscourt Not Brad.

United States
    Popcap for the most part makes very good games. In fact, I'm surprised there isn't Insaneaquarium for the DS. You'd think you could have like an epic Popcap games collection on the DS for like $40 and include all the big ones.

11. Icey
    OP

Member Icey GBAtemp Fan

United States
    Someone tried to make a homebrew of Insaniquarium but it was unfinished the last I heard. They really should make a mega pack of Popcap games as long as they aren't half-assed I could see it selling very well. Insaniquarium, Peggle, and Zuma, I think the game was called would be my choices. (It was under list of games in iTunes for iPods.)

12. notchristopher

Member notchristopher GBAtemp Regular

United States
    This breaks it down pretty well.

The game is just random chance. No real skill needed. Even though that is the point of casual gaming this takes it to a lower level. Still insanely fun.

13. Icey
    OP

Member Icey GBAtemp Fan

United States
    I feel this fits in well. [​IMG]
    Source: IGN
    February 26, 2009 - Next week PopCap will deliver its addictive puzzle game Peggle to the Nintendo DS. The platform is relatively new to the casual publisher, but it plans to keep supporting the handheld. PopCap tells IGN it will be bringing Bejeweled Twist and Bookworm to the DS later this year.

Bejeweled Twist is the sequel to Bejeweled, one of the most successful casual games of all time. The original is the quintessential match three game, and the sequel builds on the design by letting you swap four gems instead of two.

Bookworm has been around for a while on PC. Players are presented a mix of Scrabble-like letter tiles and they have to create words from the jumble. It's a compelling design and should be a perfect fit for the DS.

Now we just need Insaniquarium.

14. BORTZ

Global Moderator BORTZ wtf, nintendo

United States
    I havent played but with a name like Peggle, i really cant see myself taking this seriously.

15. xxRAG3

Member xxRAG3 GBAtemp Fan

United States
    ...Since when do we judge games by their names?

Conker: Bad Fur Day was an excellent game, even though the name...ugh...

PEGGLE IS AWESOME. I'm telling you now so when Its up, you can download it.

EDIT: Has PopCap really ever been subject to insane amounts of pirating (Steam....) because if they havent, they will get blindsided.

16. Trolly

Member Trolly GBAtemp Advanced Maniac

United Kingdom
    Not entirely true, you can calculate where your shots are going to a certain extent and how many pegs you will take out. This is a damn fun game guys. On Steam there is a free version centred around the Orange Box called Peggle Extreme. I guarantee you'll get hooked guys [​IMG].

Definitely picking this up when it comes out.

17. Shadz

Member Shadz GBAtemp Regular

Australia
    2 words describe this game.

Epic Win.

18. Satangel

Member Satangel BEAST

Belgium
    Never heard of this, but this topic made me get some interest in it. I'll download it for sure [​IMG]

19. Icey
    OP

Member Icey GBAtemp Fan

United States
  20. notchristopher

Member notchristopher GBAtemp Regular

United States
    Man, Bookworm would be amazingly fun.