PC Problem

Discussion in 'Computer Games and General Discussion' started by Overman1977, May 21, 2010.

May 21, 2010

PC Problem by Overman1977 at 4:35 AM (974 Views / 0 Likes) 10 replies

1. Overman1977
    OP

Member Overman1977 GBAtemp Regular

Canada
    Today while screwing around on my HP desktop, it froze. I turned it off and back on and it starts up but shows nothing...nothing on the screen, and does not sound like it's booting up. The keyboard lights flash, the fans and the HD (I think) start up, but nothing appears on the screen. The monitor is working, the rams sticks are seated properly, removed the CMOS bat., and even removed the lithium BIOS bat. to no avail.

I removed and replaced the graphics card and all other pci cards.... nothing. Even checked it with another monitor.

I do not think it's the power supply, as the keyboard lights flash and the cd rom lights are a go. I'm thinking it might that the mobo has grounded to the case (probably not) or that I fried something on the mobo itself.

I'd like to check out all my options before I send it in to probably replace the mobo. Any suggestions? Thank you in advance.

2. BlackDave

Member BlackDave Official GBATemp "Cleanup Guy"

United States
    What did you do before it froze? That would help i guess

3. Cool when uncool

Newcomer Cool when uncool Member

Australia
    Same thing happens to my old computer,
    and by starting up does it show the windows loading thing at the start?

does it say like
    "there was a crash blah blah blah press F5 to continue F2 for safe mode"

if that shows then get an IT guy to re-swipe the whole computer for you because it can be a virus

4. Overman1977
    OP

Canada
    just checking my e-mail when this happened.....and when i turn it on it shows NOTHING on the screen, yet the monitor works. switched it with another monitor and the same thing occurs....swtiched out the graphics are and guess what...same thing. [​IMG]

5. cobleman

Member cobleman GBAtemp Maniac

Australia
    Try starting it in safe mode

6. prowler

Member prowler Sony

United Kingdom
    How can he start it in safe mode when nothing comes up?

7. cobleman

Member cobleman GBAtemp Maniac

Australia
    Well it needs to be torn down to bare basics then mobo 1 stick ram and graphics everything else removed if it doesnt work then try the other stick of ram if nothing then try the other graphics card and if still nothing then its the mobo
    Is the cpu fan working?

8. Overman1977
    OP

Canada

I will try that...tyvm. In the meanwhile, I will still be happy to take further suggestions.

9. Arm73

Member Arm73 GBAtemp Addict

Italy
    Try running the system from the dvd drive, with the original OS installation CD that will try to repair the installation.
    Or if you have access to another PC, try to download an Ubuntu self-boot installation CD and from there see if it is a windows register error or an hardware fail ( the latter case will be worse, as not even the cd will be able to boot the PC).
    Press F12 when you power on the PC and choose to start the computer from the cd rom drive.

10. Cool when uncool

Newcomer Cool when uncool Member

Australia
    Id rather go to a professional to look at it then guys on the internet, you might stuff it up even more

11. Elritha

Member Elritha GBAtemp Addict

Canada
    I'd take the motherboard out of the case and test it without it. It may not be grounded, but at least you'd be eliminating that possibility by doing it. Then just test with the very basics, while the motherboard is placed on a large anti-static bag in the open.