Hacking PC asking to format SD card from 3DS

Envy69

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
PC won't read SD card, I have tried various OS, and data recovery programs.

I have tried to follow previous solutions (gbatemp.net/threads/sd-wont-work-in-pc-says-needs-to-be-formatted-but-works-in-3ds.516476/) and encountered problems.

I originally had a friend help with installing custom firmware, so I don't know much.

I tried to boot into GodMode9, but found out that my 3ds is not booting from SD card (when I turn my 3ds on without an SD card, it boots up fine without all the games)

What I see on the main page is Luma, Homebrew and FBI.
When Luma is launched, it says configuration file can not be found, and system restarts.
Homebrew appears to be working fine.
And FBI is what I used in the past to install cia files. When I browsed the SD card, I found no .firm files in root and in payloads (but the folder exists), only .bin files (including up_GodMode9.bin). CTR NAND has no .firm file either.

What can I do? Do I (can I) just start from the beginning with a new SD card?

ChiefReginod

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Can you confirm that your PC's SD interface is working fine with other SD cards?

If the interface checks okay, try running chkdsk from the Command Prompt.

1. Open a Command Prompt as administrator (right-click the Command Prompt icon in the start menu to get the option).
2. Type the following but replace the x with your SD's drive letter:

chkdsk x: /f

Assuming this is the issue, you may need to run it more than once. If you manage to gain access to the SD this way I suggest immediately backing up the contents, format it, and then run a full write+verify with h2testw.

Reactions: fmkid

Envy69

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
I am using a usb dongle to read the SD card, and have confirmed that other SD cards are being read without issues, but I am waiting for another one to be shipped in to confirm.

I have tried chkdsk and it says it cannot do that to a raw disk

lone_wolf323

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
I am using a usb dongle to read the SD card, and have confirmed that other SD cards are being read without issues, but I am waiting for another one to be shipped in to confirm.

I have tried chkdsk and it says it cannot do that to a raw disk
Try using guiformat. Its a nice program that formats sd cards. FAT32 and 32kb clusters is what you would want the sets for.

Envy69

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
Try using guiformat. Its a nice program that formats sd cards. FAT32 and 32kb clusters is what you would want the sets for.
I actually want to retrieve the data from the SD card, not to format it. When I first started using the SD card, it was brand new, (but I don't remember if I used guiformat)

Envy69

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
I cannot copy anything off the SD card, I am also worried about how to proceed with a new/blank SD card

fmkid

Just another GBATemp's random guy
Trophies
XP
Country
Colombia
I cannot copy anything off the SD card, I am also worried about how to proceed with a new/blank SD card
Don't worry about. All is perfectly explained on that post I linked and it's precisely to detect any damage or fault on your actual SD card. Just follow it, if you will

But if finally a new SD card is needed, then follow this another post in change.

Last edited by fmkid,

Envy69

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
As I still want to get the data off the SD card, I don't want to format it. I have tried several data recovery programs and all have failed to work.

I am attempting what you suggested with a new SD card and booted up to Luma3DS v7.0.5 configuration. I'll get back to you when I'm done

fmkid

Trophies
XP
Country
Colombia
As I still want to get the data off the SD card, I don't want to format it. I have tried several data recovery programs and all have failed to work.

I am attempting what you suggested with a new SD card and booted up to Luma3DS v7.0.5 configuration. I'll get back to you when I'm done
Did you try to backup your actual SD card in another PC? And what about if you try to make a ghost image of the entire SD card or cloning it?

Envy69

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
Did you try to backup your actual SD card in another PC? And what about if you try to make a ghost image of the entire SD card or cloning it?

Unfortunately I don't know how to do that, do you know of any guides I can follow?

Edit: still dont know about ghost images, but tried cloning using Win32 Disk Imager, but failed due to IO device error

Last edited by Envy69,

Envy69

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
Thanks @fmkid

I followed the guide.
Downloaded a ftp cia and copied it to CTR NAND.
Switched to the faulty SD card, and installed the ftp cia.

Do you know what I need to copy to get the games and saves onto the new SD card?

fmkid

Trophies
XP
Country
Colombia
Curious about how did you get this? B-)
Downloaded a ftp cia and copied it to CTR NAND.
Switched to the faulty SD card, and installed the ftp cia.
Anyway... If you have right now access to a FTP server homebrew, yes, you can try to copy all the content from the SD as you can (mainly, the "Nintendo 3DS" folder).

But have in account that it will/could be a really slowly and akward proccess (even is possible that just fail too). However, you actually don't have nothing to lose if you try with it :yay:

Envy69

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
Took a while, but successfully got everything off the SD card. But still cant get my PC to read the SD card, can't seem to format it. Probably need to get it replaced

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: 455