• Friendly reminder: The politics section is a place where a lot of differing opinions are raised. You may not like what you read here but it is someone's opinion. As long as the debate is respectful you are free to debate freely. Also, the views and opinions expressed by forum members may not necessarily reflect those of GBAtemp. Messages that the staff consider offensive or inflammatory may be removed in line with existing forum terms and conditions.

PayPal making new policy updates that will affect customers in U.K., Cyprus, Ireland, Greece, etc.

• Thread starter Deleted User
  • Start date
  • Views 845
  • Replies 2
D

Deleted User

OP
The most important ones are:
- Inactivity fee (e.g. £12 for U.K. members)
- Dispute fees

You can read it all here: https://www.paypalobjects.com/marketing/ua/pdf/GB/en/ua-121620-v2.pdf

I love using PayPal and my main PayPal account is in U.K., so it kinda pissed me off that they're doing this as it doesn't feel justified or even legal. Like, inactivity fee?! This feels like a lot of people are gonna end up paying £12 without knowing they'll have to.

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
"I love using PayPal"
Heh. Never thought I would meet anybody that said that.

Anyway on inactivity fee. I wonder if they either want a) a higher percentage active users or b) some accountant/business analyst looked at how many people have a little bit in their account and realised that is a massive liability (someone starts a little run on paypal and they end up over leveraged).

Dispute fees are interesting. Being paypal it is probably going to end up being less satisfying in resolution to both disputee and disputed (there is a reason I don't sell anything via paypal) but time will tell on that one. If it does help cut down on scams then about time but I doubt it will do much other than make the pain of filing low value disputes not worth the hassle and thus further reduce their liability or free up investigator time.

Reactions: Deleted User

dangopig

Trophies
XP
Country
Congo, Democratic Republic of the
I think the inactivity fee only applies to the balance on your account, which still sucks but if your account has nothing then they can't take a fee. Paypal is probably going after the accounts people have long forgotten about.

If you don't leave a positive balance in your paypal account, this inactivity fee doesn't affect you. The money would be much better saved in a bank anyway.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: https://www.youtube.com/shorts/nTSxdJWZiRA