Patch your English Pokemon Black/White Version for DSi Mode!

Discussion in 'CycloDS' started by Poryhack, Aug 23, 2011.

1. Poryhack
    OP

Member Poryhack GBAtemp Fan

United States
    UPDATE: There are actually two English-language scene releases of each ROM. There shouldn't be since there is actually no distinction at all in the ROM between "USA" and "EUR(ope)". However, the two scene releases are different because the "US version" was improperly dumped. As such this patch should be applied to the "European" release by SweeTnDs; or better yet, buy the game and dump it yourself with wood dumper!

English-speaking pokemon fans with a CycloDS iEvolution will probably have noticed the lack of proper DSi-enhanced dumps of black and white versions. With the current status of the DS-mode bootstrap it becomes even more important to have a properly dumped copy of DSi-enhanced games like black and white. While I can't provide that I can give you this: A patch to copy critical parts of your black/white ROM from the French version of said ROM, which is properly dumped. The result is a fully English-language game that works in DSi mode.

Download patch: Black Version - White Version
    Apply patch with xdelta3. (Command prompt: xdelta3.exe -d -s YourCleanEnglishROMName.nds AddDSiMode-VersionName.patch YourNewPatchedROMName.nds) The GUI version might work but it uses a very outdated version of xdelta so no guarantees.

Issues:
    • Anything that registers/reports/etc the language of the game (ex. the language byte in pkm data) will come up as French instead of English. I suspect that this might be an easy fix via cheat code (which could be permanently added to the patch via DSATM) but RAM is not my area of expertise. If somebody wants to try it I would be grateful.
    • Cheat code users will have to settle for codes made for the French versions instead of the English ones. The patched ROM has the same signature as a French one so no extra messing around is required there.
    • Last but not least you will have to settle for the usual quirks of DSi-mode on the iEvo. You probably know all about those by now...
    I have tested the patch quite extensively but if you find any more issues please let me know in this thread. Enjoy.

2. kiafazool

Member kiafazool GBAtemp Maniac

Canada
    wow awesome

i wonder if people will start doing this to other non dsi-mode-compatible games with proper dsi games in other languages

3. MakiManPR

Banned MakiManPR Banned

Puerto Rico
    Hmmmm What this mean?

4. Frankenstein Tan

Member Frankenstein Tan GBAtemp Regular

United States
    It means the C-Gear should actually work but only for certain things like the Xtransceiver and the Entralink. The infrared still won't work because that was built into the cart

5. Mbmax

Member Mbmax Homebrew addicted

Antarctica
    There is indeed not much proper DSi enhanced dump according to DAT-o-MATIC :

Warning: Spoilers inside!
    [b][b][b][b][b][b][b][b][b][b][b][b][b][b][b][b][b][b][b][b][b][b][b][b][b][b][b][b][b][b][b][b][b][b][b][b][b][b][b][b][b][b][b][b][b][b][b][b][b][b][b][b][b][b][b][b][b][b][b][b][b][b][b][b][b][b][b][b][b][b][b][b][b][b][b][b][b][b][b][b][b][b][b][b][b][b][b][b][b][b][b][b][b][b][b][b][b][b][b][b][b][b][b][b][b][b][b][b][b][b]

By the look at this list, only Legacy, BAHAMUT, iNDEPENDENT, RFTD, EXiMiUS group are able to properly dump a DSi enhanced game.
    Note that iNDEPENDENT only released one proper dump in all their release. Quite strange ...[/b][/b][/b][/b][/b][/b][/b][/b][/b][/b][/b][/b][/b][/b][/b][/b][/b][/b][/b][/b][/b][/b][/b][/b][/b][/b][/b][/b][/b][/b][/b][/b][/b][/b][/b][/b][/b][/b][/b][/b][/b][/b][/b][/b][/b][/b][/b][/b][/b][/b][/b][/b][/b][/b][/b][/b][/b][/b][/b][/b][/b][/b][/b][/b][/b][/b][/b][/b][/b][/b][/b][/b][/b][/b][/b][/b][/b][/b][/b][/b][/b][/b][/b][/b][/b][/b][/b][/b][/b][/b][/b][/b][/b][/b][/b][/b][/b][/b][/b][/b][/b][/b][/b][/b][/b][/b][/b][/b][/b][/b]

6. ItsMetaKnight

Member ItsMetaKnight GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Denmark
    Dude, why not just redump the game with DSi area intact?

7. Ammako

Member Ammako GBAtemp Guru

Canada
    Think back about this for a second.
    Then ask a mod to delete your post.

8. ItsMetaKnight

Denmark
    I don't see a problem with my suggestion?
    Will work perfectly with no issues in contrast to this crazy French hack.

I never said someone should upload a ROM of a redump here.
    I actually do not tolerate piracy.

9. Fishaman P

Member Fishaman P Speedrunner

United States
    I second a proper redump.

A LOT of people have the actual cartridge, and you can do it right from a DS!

Also, there won't be any incompatibilities or weird-region Pokemon.

10. DjoeN

Member DjoeN Captain Haddock!

Belgium
    To be honest, just buy the game if you really want to enjoy DSi mode [​IMG]

My 2 kids (both 10 years) play alot of pokémon, so i bought both Black for 1 and White for the other
    The youngest (3 year) just act to play Pokémon Leaf Grean on my old GBA-SP

And i'm getting to old to play pokémon, just helping the kids with english txt when the need to, to get further into thegame.

11. Aurora Wright

Member Aurora Wright GBAtemp Maniac

Italy
    Because no publicly available dumper can do it unfortunately : |

12. Poryhack
    OP

United States
    I fully agree. Especially with all the stupid quirks of the iEvo you are gonna get much more out of the real deal. However ROM hacks (specifically one that isn't just an enabler like this, but one that builds off of this) will always require a flashcard so there is some potential here.

EDIT: Just noticed that this is on the news page. I was wondering where all the interest came from all of the sudden. Cool stuff.

13. Ron

Member Ron somehow a weeb now.

Canada
    Just buy the real game if you want the DSi mode features that badly.

14. Grimmjow1994

Newcomer Grimmjow1994 Member

United States
    What does DSi mode do? n00b here...

15. Poryhack
    OP

United States
    Well besides the obvious answer that it allows the game to take advantage of DSi-specific hardware like extra CPU, extra RAM, and cameras it also is currently a requirement for iEvo users that DSi-enhanced games be run in DSi-mode. This is because our plain DS-mode bootstrap exploit has been patched in the latest firmware of the 3DS and AFAIK the DSi; the DSi-mode exploit still works. In addition to that a DSi-enhanced game that is improperly dumped (which most are) will flat out not run in DSi-mode.

16. ItsMetaKnight

Denmark
    Afaikt, wooddumper is able to dump the DSi area.

17. Mbmax

Member Mbmax Homebrew addicted

Antarctica
    No.

Proper machine :

Warning: Spoilers inside!

18. Grimmjow1994

Newcomer Grimmjow1994 Member

United States
    Cool thank [​IMG]

19. Poryhack
    OP

United States
    This is a common misconception. Wood dumper will dump titles with their proper DSi headers but it will not dump the DSi-specific executable code. The custom hardware several release groups have built will.

20. Zorua

Zorua Newbie

Stupid question, but will this patch make b/w DSi features work on an ak2i?