Hacking Partitioning an HD For WBFS and GameCube games

j0hnnyj0hns

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Anyway to partition a HD to use for Wii WBFS games and Gamecube ISO's like say i have a 1TB HD with 500GB's of Wii games and a 32GB Flash Drive Full of GameCube ISO's. Want to know if i can partition 750GB for Wii games and 250GB for GC games?? I'm on a Mac as well

thanks

Olmectron

Trophies
XP
Country
Mexico
Anyway to partition a HD to use for Wii WBFS games and Gamecube ISO's like say i have a 1TB HD with 500GB's of Wii games and a 32GB Flash Drive Full of GameCube ISO's. Want to know if i can partition 750GB for Wii games and 250GB for GC games?? I'm on a Mac as well

thanks
Both Wii and GC games can be in a drive with FAT32 format, you don't need to "partition" your drive in different formats.

I'm not sure about the recommended cluster sizes, but they are either 32kb or 64kb, for Nintendont to work well.

j0hnnyj0hns

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Both Wii and GC games can be in a drive with FAT32 format, you don't need to "partition" your drive in different formats.

I'm not sure about the recommended cluster sizes, but they are either 32kb or 64kb, for Nintendont to work well.

So just format it as Fat32 and put all files WBFS and GC ISO’s in the same directory not separate folders?

j0hnnyj0hns

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
A WBFS formatted partition is old and outdated and should have been deprecated long ago.

Lol I know just haven’t used my Wii in probably 3 years. And could use the 32GB flash drive for something else

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

yep FAT32 is the way to go. Period.

Okay do you know the cluster size I would need for the GC games to run?? And is there a program for Mac to set cluster size?

Cyan

GBATemp's lurking knight
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
France
wii games go into /wbfs/ folder
gamecube games go into /games/ folder

you better use WiiBackupManager (windows) or WiijManager (mac) (don't use it, it's wbfs only!) Wiibackupfusion (mac) to put your wii games on your drive, it will rename and copy the file to the correct folder for you.

for gamecube, you'll have to do it manually, usually the best location is :

/games/<game's title> [<TitleID>]/game.iso

example :
/games/Luigi mansion [GLMP01]/game.iso

it's the same for wii games, except the iso is not named "game" but based on the titleID too :
/wbfs/game's title [TitleID]/TitleID.wbfs

Cluster size of 32k is always preferred for compatibility with older apps, even though 64k could speed up a little (very little) the read speed, and prevent lags in some games. but it all depend on your SD or USB speed. try 32k first.

Last edited by Cyan,
Reactions: slaphappygamer

j0hnnyj0hns

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
wii games go into /wbfs/ folder
gamecube games go into /games/ folder

you better use WiiBackupManager (windows) or WiijManager (mac) (don't use it, it's wbfs only!) Wiibackupfusion (mac) to put your wii games on your drive, it will rename and copy the file to the correct folder for you.

for gamecube, you'll have to do it manually, usually the best location is :

/games/<game's title> [<TitleID>]/game.iso

example :
/games/Luigi mansion [GLMP01]/game.iso

it's the same for wii games, except the iso is not named "game" but based on the titleID too :
/wbfs/game's title [TitleID]/TitleID.wbfs

Cluster size of 32k is always preferred for compatibility with older apps, even though 64k could speed up a little (very little) the read speed, and prevent lags in some games. but it all depend on your SD or USB speed. try 32k first.

I downloaded Wiibackupfusion but it keeps saying No WBFS partition found when i plug in my HardDrive that is WBFS formatted and 500GB's

ca032769

INFOCOM Collector
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I downloaded Wiibackupfusion but it keeps saying No WBFS partition found when i plug in my HardDrive that is WBFS formatted and 500GB's

I'm pretty sure you're going to want the drive formatted to FAT32. A WBFS formatted drive has been obsolete for quite a while.

Edit 1: You're going to want create a WBFS subdirectory on that FAT32 formatted drive. That might take care of your issue.

Last edited by ca032769,

j0hnnyj0hns

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'm pretty sure you're going to want the drive formatted to FAT32. A WBFS formatted drive has been obsolete for quite a while.

Edit 1: You're going to want create a WBFS subdirectory on that FAT32 formatted drive. That might take care of your issue.

I figured it out. Thanks :)

The Real Jdbye

*is birb*
Trophies
XP
Country
Norway
I figured it out. Thanks :)
In addition to what Cyan said, if you want to play multidisc GC games like Tales of Symphonia, the first disc should be placed in the path/filename as described, and disc 2 should be named disc2.iso in the same directory. Nintendont will switch to the next disc automatically when needed.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Sorry for accidentally bending over