Partitioning a drive for both PS3 and Wii?

Discussion in 'PS3 - Console, Accessories and Hardware' started by synce, Jan 6, 2011.

Jan 6, 2011
  1. synce
    OP

Member synce だいこんちゃんのだいふぁん

United States
    Say I've got a WBFS partition for my Wii backups, and FAT32 for PS3. Would that work? Which one should be primary if so?

2. Sinistral89

Member Sinistral89 GBAtemp Regular

Sweden
    I can't see why it won't work. Since I have a 1 TB external drive that has ~800 GB NTFS and ~200 GB FAT32... When I plug it into my ps3 it only finds the FAT32. I think it should work the same way with WBFS and FAT32... Unless the Wii f**ks something up [​IMG]

3. ddetkowski

Member ddetkowski GBAtemp Maniac

United States
    Hows this:
    Why not make the entire drive FAT32, this way, your PC see's it all, and your Wii games are in a folder called WBFS?

4. synce
    OP

United States
    Thanks but Wii games can't fit on FAT32, maybe there's a workaround but I really just want to know if two partitions will work

5. AaronUzumaki

Member AaronUzumaki A.K.A. Ecstasy Espeon

United States
    I have all my Wii games on a WBFS partition on my 1 TB and all my Xbox 360 games and videos on a FAT32 on the same drive. So, yeah, it will work.

6. fartos32

Member fartos32 GBAtemp Regular

Australia

2 partitions will work, but you could also use one fat32 partition and use wii game manager to convert the game to .wbfs format with a 4gig split.

7. ddetkowski

Member ddetkowski GBAtemp Maniac

United States
    Thats why I suggested the entire drive, as mine is, to FAT32, I have BOTH Wii games AND PS3 games on it. Don't assume something when that makes an ass out of U and me......

8. Heran Bago

Member Heran Bago Where do puyo come from?

United States
    Splitting Wii and PS3 games is kind of a drag in another way than disc partitioning.

9. Magsor

Member Magsor I am watching you

Canada
    No you heard wrong you don't have to partition. Just format it to fat32. Wii backup manager transfers your games in a breeze with the splitting done by itself. Ps3 migh be a bit trickier but its doable but theres not many games with files over 4gb.

10. synce
    OP

United States
    Thanks I will try Wii Game Manager then... if too much hassle it's good to know two partitions work [​IMG]

11. Bluee

Newcomer Bluee Member

United States
    One could argue that having two partitions is more of a hassle than having one, all-inclusive partition!

I use the same external drive, with one FAT32 partition, for my Wii games and a slew of external-safe PS3 games. Though for your PS3, I highly recommend upgrading its internal HD. A lot of games, especially top shelf games, only work via internal, and those games can be mighty big. It's also nice to have all your PS3 games in one simple, ready to use depository, guaranteed to work without issue.

12. Originality

Member Originality Chibi-neko

United Kingdom
    Or just use the internal drive you have and be ready to transfer games between the internal and external drive. It's not like you're doing to play be playing 10-20 games all the time.

13. Bluee

Newcomer Bluee Member

United States
    You'll be switching all the time if you have pirate's ADD like me [​IMG]