OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
angry.gif
says it all...

Here's the skinny. With the advisement that all USB Loaders are compatible with the FAT32 file system (and being a better choice overall), here's what I did:

1) Purchased a 1TB USB 2.0 Hitachi HDD (which came FAT32)

2) Created a WBFS folder on the drive

3) Copied my USB Loader GX files to the HDD / Added games using Wii Backup Manager

4) Loaded up USB Loader GX via the HBC. When prompted at the "No WBFS or FAT/NTFS Partition Found: You need to Select or Format" prompt, I choose Select.

5) From the list, I have four partition options that look like this:

QUOTE said:
Partition 1: 931.51GB
Partition 2: Can't Format
Partition 3: Can't Format
Partition 4: Can't Format

6) I select Partition 1 and BOOM. Code Dump / Error Screen. Prompt at the bottom says "Reloading in 5 Seconds", which it does but I'm just right back at the Wii menu.

Damn it! I thought I had this fixed correctly! Even Wii Backup Manager said it was a usable drive when loading the backups.
unsure.gif

Any thoughts?

Liberty

Trophies
XP
Country
Gambia, The
Can you backup your games elsewhere? Reformat your drive with Parttion Wizard Home Edition or whatever other tool. FAT32/Clustersize 32KB. Then let Wii Backup Manager copy over these games again and don't forget to set the partition as "Active". And i recommend using CFG-Loader anyway. Gets updated more often and has more features available.

J8son

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I think I have found the problem. The tutorial I used has a IOS installed that may not support FAT32. 249/250. Investigating....

ChokeD

The Contributor
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Required:
*A compatible SD/USB
*EASEUS Partition Master Home Edition: http://www.partition-tool.com/download.htm (FREE and highly recommended)

Guide:

1. Download and install EASEUS Partition Master Home Edition.

2. Locate the SD/USB

3. Right click on the drive choose "Format"

4. In the box choose "FAT32" for the "File System" and "32KB" for the "Cluster Size" and click "OK"

format32KBclusters.jpg

5. Right click the drive again and go to the "Advanced" tab and choose "Set Active"

6. In the bottom left corner of EASEUS click "Apply"

7. When EASEUS is done, your drive should be ready.

Active.jpg

J8son

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Thanks Choke! Great tutorial. However, before I try it, is there any weight to the IOS issue not loading FAT32 if its 249/250?

bwillb

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
J8son said:
Thanks Choke! Great tutorial. However, before I try it, is there any weight to the IOS issue not loading FAT32 if its 249/250?
works fine for me. CFG usb loader alpha, cIOS 249 rev 20 base 56

bugaveli

Banned!
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
i had the same issues till i set gx to load from hermes 223, sees it everytime now and fast. Before u mess with ur hard drive, reformatting and such, try cfg usb loader, if it finds your games no problem, then its just an issue with gx.

bwillb

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
bugaveli said:
i had the same issues till i set gx to load from hermes 223, sees it everytime now and fast. Before u mess with ur hard drive, reformatting and such, try cfg usb loader, if it finds your games no problem, then its just an issue with gx.
very likely. gx is kinda... well.... at least it looks pretty.

J8son

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
bugaveli said:
gx is kinda... well.... at least it looks pretty.

Yeah, and even though a lot of people advise me yo use CFB Loafer over GX, the interface is the main reason I choose GX. I'm a whore for looks (and I've read its more compatible with newer games).

bugaveli

Banned!
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
J8son said:
bugaveli said:
gx is kinda... well.... at least it looks pretty.

Yeah, and even though a lot of people advise me yo use CFB Loafer over GX, the interface is the main reason I choose GX. I'm a whore for looks (and I've read its more compatible with newer games).
Im not saying to USE cfg im just saying see if cfg will read your hard drive as is, before you go reformatting the whole thing, if cfg works, then u know its a problem with gx and not your hard drive. That way you can just adjust the settings to get gx to work, i hate it when ppl have a problem an ppl come in and say "just use something else", so thats definitely not what im trying to tell u to do. Just seeing if its an error with the hard drive or gx, and like I said, when i got my 1.5tb gx did the EXACT same thing its doing to you, cfg worked fine, so i installed hermes v4 as 223 and gx worked like a charm.

edit: as to your comment about gx being more compatible, i think its the opposite. it seems that gx is the last to get updated to fix new games. But I use GX and again, im not saying to use cfg, just see if it works.

smf

Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
J8son said:

latest GX needs hermes v4 for FAT32.

J8son

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Well, I'd rather avoid having to go back and change any of the files that were installed during my original soft-mod installation using this tutorial.

So, as I do want to try USB Loader GX first (I'm also motivated by several themes I have been working on for this loader specifically), can't I just format the drive to NTFS (which seems much easier to work with in a PC environment), copy the files to the drive and BOOM. DONE?

Or am I setting myself up for future failure and problems this way? It's important to note that this HDD was bought for Wii usage only and will not be used for anything else. So that's not really an issue.

Any thoughts?

bwillb

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
J8son said:
Well, I'd rather avoid having to go back and change any of the files that were installed during my original soft-mod installation using this tutorial.

So, as I do want to try USB Loader GX first (I'm also motivated by several themes I have been working on for this loader specifically), can't I just format the drive to NTFS (which seems much easier to work with in a PC environment), copy the files to the drive and BOOM. DONE?

Or am I setting myself up for future failure and problems this way? It's important to note that this HDD was bought for Wii usage only and will not be used for anything else. So that's not really an issue.

Any thoughts?
NTFS is less supported than FAT32.

but all you really need to do is install hermes cIOS v4 and tell GX to load from that, if IOS is the problem preventing FAT32 to load. IOS #s are essentially data slots. 249 and 222 are different slots so they can co-exist.

elimist

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
rommy667 said:
Am I the only one who use wbfs for main games and a 80 gig fat 32 pat for emus and media........
yes

ntfs is buggy and you cant dump games to it with your wii. Try installing waninkoko cios v20 slot 249 base 56, it will overwrite if you have an older version

bugaveli

Banned!
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
bwillb said:
J8son said:

Any thoughts?
NTFS is less supported than FAT32.

but all you really need to do is install hermes cIOS v4 and tell GX to load from that, if IOS is the problem preventing FAT32 to load. IOS #s are essentially data slots. 249 and 222 are different slots so they can co-exist.

yes as we are suggestiung over and over use hermes v4 as 223 set usb gx to load from that and it will work, unless ur hd is screwqed, and all it takes is adding it to your apps folder. But im done trying to help you out if u wonh even try cfg to see if ur HD is screwed or not. so good luck.

J8son

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
bugaveli said:
yes as we are suggestiung over and over use hermes v4 as 223 set usb gx to load from that and it will work, unless ur hd is screwqed, and all it takes is adding it to your apps folder. But im done trying to help you out if u wonh even try cfg to see if ur HD is screwed or not. so good luck.

Not trying to make you mad but you have to understand that your suggestion, while appreciated, is not very help as this is a brand new HDD out of the box, not more than two days old. It's only been used for this project and I've barley plugged it up. Very little chance there's anything wrong with it. But thanks anyway...
yaywii.gif

I'm now willing to try to update my original soft-mod files as NTFS now gives me little hope that it wont cause me more trouble in the future.

As I've only been doing this a week, I'm not the most comfortable doing this kind of thing outside the original tutorial. Anyone have a simple tutorial that instructs on where to get said files and how to update the them correctly?

Thanks! Your help is much appreciated!
blush.gif

bwillb

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
J8son said:
bugaveli said:

Not trying to make you mad but you have to understand that your suggestion, while appreciated, is not very help as this is a brand new HDD out of the box, not more than two days old. It's only been used for this project and I've barley plugged it up. Very little chance there's anything wrong with it. But thanks anyway...
yaywii.gif
what does being new and barely used have to do with chance of anything being wrong with it? if anything. that makes it even more likely that it could have a manufacturing defect
tongue.gif
go read some hard drive reviews on amazon and notice how many are DOA or die within the first couple weeks...

anyway, you can get both hermes' cios and cfg usbloader tutorials and files from http://sites.google.com/site/completesg/home

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • sombrerosonic @ sombrerosonic:
    Unity is a asshole and I want to set it on fire
    +1
    and C++
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @sombrerosonic, "Unity to die. Coding is a fuck."
    Rez how else am I suppose to make my horny AI who wants people to love it?
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    Real women are better, AI isn't worth the trouble.
  • AncientBoi @ AncientBoi:
    Mine would be easy. All it has to do is bob it's head :D:evil::blush:
    +1
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    Psi can make an AI babe lol.
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    I knew I should've bought the 50ft ethernet cord over the 25 lesson learned size matters
    +2
  • Bunjolio @ Bunjolio:
    vffvb gferwbgereg
    :O [☎️ Bunjolio's mother that he's swearing]
  • Bunjolio @ Bunjolio:
    she*
    +2
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Fuck
    +1
  • J @ Just_Ragnar:
    What are mlc.bin files and are they important or can i delete them off my wii u sd card
    My apologies there little Miss @Bunjolio :mellow::blush::)
    Butt I'm still telling her :P
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Never gonna give you upNever gonna let you downNever gonna run around and desert youNever gonna make you cryNever gonna say goodbyeNever gonna tell a lie and hurt you
    I don't recognise the song. Which one is it?
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Sigma
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @Bunjolio, Sometimes people make mistakes, if you correct them then they'll remember.
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    Try not to easily get offended if somebody calls you by different pronouns by mistake.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    What I can't just call someone a dick or a vagina
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: What I can't just call someone a dick or a vagina