Tutorial  Updated

Partition based emuMMC and L4T Ubuntu on the same SD card

I take no responsibility for any damage that following this guide might cause to you, your Switch, other devices or your neighbourhood! You have been warned!

With this guide you will create an emuMMC that can be used by KOSMOS/Atmosphère and SX OS. If you don't need/want the latter, you can follow other guides for that but I'm not sure how partitioning is changed then and even if you intend not to use SX OS at all there should be no downside in following this guide as you will end up with an emuMMC that you can use in Atmosphère as well.

Since both processes
  • creating a partition based emuMMC
    and
  • flashing the L4T Ubuntu image to the SD card
are each wiping the whole card, you can't simply do one after the other to achieve this. That's why some more work has to be done.

My way might seem to be a bit laborious but it just worked for me so here's what I did:
  1. Make a full NAND dump with hekate including BOOT0/1 just in case
  2. Since all data will be deleted from your SD card following these steps, create a temp folder on your computer and copy everything into it
  3. Download SX OS boot.dat and put it on the SD card's root directory
  4. Download their payload.bin as well and fire that up on your Switch while it is in RCM and while you hold VOL+
  5. In the SX OS bootmenu click the right button and then emunand
  6. Create a partition based emuNAND from there - this will take some time
  7. After it's finished, put your SD card in your computer. You will have a
    You will end up with the following:
    [30 GB hidden partition][rest of the card formatted to FAT32 with boot.dat on it]
  8. Take a USB flash drive (!) and flash the L4T Ubuntu image with Etcher to it
    (all data on the flash drive will be deleted!)
  9. Download either a GParted live image or any live Linux distribution (I took Ubuntu amd64) and flash/write that to another flash drive or a DVD so you can boot from it
  10. Boot your computer from it while your Switch SD card is connected to the computer so it is automatically mounted there
  11. Run GParted, unmount the FAT32 partition from there so you can resize it
  12. Resize it to free up some space for L4T Ubuntu. I resized it so there were around 16 GB after it at the end of the SD card
  13. Create an EXT4 partition in that unallocated free space with GParted and hit the apply button so both operations (resizing FAT32 and creating EXT4 partition) will be done - this will take some time
  14. Download a CloneZilla Live and flash/write that to a flash drive or DVD
    I burned it to a DVD with imgburn
  15. Boot your computer into CloneZilla while these both things are connected to your computer:
    • Switch SD card
    • flash drive from step 8 where you flashed the L4T image to
  16. In CloneZilla choose the options to clone not a whole drive but only a partition to another
  17. Choose expert mode so you can untick the option (with SPACE) to resize the destination partition size to the source partition size
  18. As the source partition choose the EXT4 partition (not the FAT32 one) from the flash drive from step 8
  19. As the destination partition choose the EXT4 partition from your Switch SD card that you just created with GParted
  20. Very important: remember how the devices are labeled (for example sdb, sdc, sdd and so on)
    In my case my source device (the flash drive from step 8) was sdb and the EXT4 partition on it was sdb1
    and my destition device (Switch SD card) was sdc and the destition EXT4 partition was sdc3
    What you need to remember now is the label of your source device (the USB flash drive)
  21. Now proceed and hit Y on both warnings that all data in the destination partition will be deleted (that's fine, it's really just the partition, not the whole SD card including your created emuMMC)
  22. Most likely CloneZilla will now complain that source and destition partition tables (MBR and GPT) are not the same and you have to resolve that first
    That's why I told you to remember the label from your flash drive!
    Hit ENTER and then get into the shell/commandline and type the following:
    sudo sgdisk -z /dev/sdx
    (where you replace x by the letter that you remembered)
    In my case it was /dev/sdb (without any numbers behind it)
    Confirm all warnings
  23. Now head back to step 16 and repeat the steps to clone the drive
    It should work now without complaints from CloneZilla
  24. After that is finished, boot back into your usual operation system on your computer and copy everything from your temp folder back to the FAT32 partition that you should be able to access from there
  25. Windows might complain about two "drives" that are not readable and need to be formatted - obviously that's your emuMMC and your L4T Ubuntu partition and you don't want to format them ... just ignore the messages
  26. Download the most recent L4T update (at this time it's 1.3.1), delete the boot.scr file and the boot folder (not to be confused with the bootloader folder!), then copy the content of the L4T update zip to the FAT32 partition of your SD card
  27. On your SD card rename the Nintendo folder to Emutendo
    If you boot into the emuMMC now all games that you had installed previously are present there
    If you want them to be present in your sysNAND instead for whatever reason leave the folder by its name Nintendo
  28. Edit you're SD:\bootloader\hekate_ipl.ini to cover all your needs (CFW emuMMC, Stock sysNAND, CFW sysNAND, L4T Ubuntu, whatever else you want)
    You can find an example of mine at the end of this guide
    The emuMMC section is important as it has to be exactly like that for Atmosphère to detect it
  29. On your SD root directory create a folder called emuMMC
  30. Inside that folder create an empty text file called emummc.ini and open it with a text editor
  31. Paste into it what I put at the end of this thread and save the file
  1. Put the SD card into your Switch and fire up the hekate payload
  2. Head to emuMMC and MIGRATE - it should detect and migrate it
Congratulations, that should be it. Now you can boot everything from within hekate.
Keep in mind that the initial boot of L4T Ubuntu takes some time while the screen is black. Be patient!
Also let me give you the advice to choose different themes for your sysNAND and emuMMC. I have the white theme enabled in my sysNAND while I have the dark theme in my emuMMC environment so I always definitely know where I am.

Here's my promised hekate_ipl.ini:
Code:
[config]
autoboot=0
autoboot_list=0
bootwait=1
verification=1
backlight=100
autohosoff=0
autonogc=1
{AtlasNX/Kosmos v13.0.2}
{}
{Discord: discord.teamatlasnx.com}
{Github: git.teamatlasnx.com}
{Patreon: patreon.teamatlasnx.com}
{Pegascape DNS: pegascape.sdsetup.com}
{}
{--- Custom Firmware ---}
[CFW (SYSNAND)]
emummc_force_disable=1
fss0=atmosphere/fusee-secondary.bin
kip1patch=nosigchk
atmosphere=1
logopath=bootloader/bootlogo.bmp
icon=bootloader/res/icon_payload.bmp
{}
[CFW (EMUMMC)]
kip1patch=nosigchk
atmosphere=1
{}
[SX OS]
payload=bootloader/payloads/SX_OS.bin
[Argon NX]
payload=bootloader/payloads/Argon_NX.bin
{--- Stock ---}
[Stock (SYSNAND)]
emummc_force_disable=1
stock=1
icon=bootloader/res/icon_switch.bmp
{}
[L4T Ubuntu]
payload=l4t-ubuntu/coreboot.rom

And here's the emummc.ini:
Code:
[emummc]
enabled = 1
sector = 0x2
nintendo_path = Emutendo

I did not test that yet so I can only assume it works, but it should!
In short, from current SD (SD1) to a bigger one (SD2):
  1. CloneZilla: Clone the whole SD1 to SD2
  2. GParted: Delete the EXT4 partition on SD2
  3. GParted: Resize the FAT32 partition on SD2 as you like but leave some space at the end for L4T Ubuntu
  4. GParted: Create an EXT4 partition out of that left unallocated space at the end of SD2
  5. CloneZilla: Clone only the EXT4 partition from SD1 to the newly created EXT4 partition on SD2 (similar to how I did it in the guide above with the temporary flash drive to get Linux onto my SD card)

Last edited by lordelan,

tabzer

This place is a meme.
Trophies
XP
Country
Japan
FAT32 for Android can be shared with FAT32 for L4T, and other hekate configs. The files don't conflict with each other, and the partition size can be very big for CFW/OFW use. I don't understand why you would have a seperate FAT32 partition only for Android.

Cyan

GBATemp's lurking knight
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
France
yes, they can be shared, but they are not very big (2G).
the file don't conflict, I thought maybe the hybrid partition could conflict, because it would be loaded twice.
if you use hybrid (0c instead of EE) then it could be mounted twice. it really depends on each apps how they are working.

the second separated partition is just a crazy idea in case you can use that SD card with the switch (HorizonOS), and then you'd want more than a 2GB SD card to install switch games/nsp/xci ! if you list that biggest partition in MBR, it's not the same as the 2GB used by android/l4t, and could conflict.
of course, if you don't try to quad boot you are fine and don't need a crazy idea of additional FAT32 at the end :)

Last edited by Cyan,

tabzer

This place is a meme.
Trophies
XP
Country
Japan
yes, they can be shared, but they are not very big (2G).
the file don't conflict, I thought maybe the hybrid partition could conflict, because it would be loaded twice.
if you use hybrid (0c instead of EE) then it could be mounted twice. it really depends on each apps how they are working.

the second separated partition is just a crazy idea in case you can use that SD card with the switch (HorizonOS), and then you'd want more than a 2GB SD card to install switch games/nsp/xci ! if you list that biggest partition in MBR, it's not the same as the 2GB used by android/l4t, and could conflict.
of course, if you don't try to quad boot you are fine and don't need a crazy idea of additional FAT32 at the end :)

The size of the FAT32 partition doesn't conflict with L4T because the way it is booted refers to the partition and not the sector. Changing anything in the Android layout could cause issues if it refers to specific sectors and not partitions. I haven't been able to test that.

D

Deleted-172301

When I test. I’m going to try to run everything with only one FAT partition.

I’m sort of using these tests to get an idea for when I go to installing Android/L4T onto the EMMC itself. So throw all ideas out there. I’ll be trying them .

Reactions: lordelan and tabzer

Zaybokk

Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
I take no responsibility for any damage that following this guide might cause to you, your Switch, other devices or your neighbourhood! You have been warned!

With this guide you will create an emuMMC that can be used by KOSMOS/Atmosphère and SX OS. If you don't need/want the latter, you can follow other guides for that but I'm not sure how partitioning is changed then and even if you intend not to use SX OS at all there should be no downside in following this guide as you will end up with an emuMMC that you can use in Atmosphère as well.

Since both processes
  • creating a partition based emuMMC
    and
  • flashing the L4T Ubuntu image to the SD card
are each wiping the whole card, you can't simply do one after the other to achieve this. That's why some more work has to be done.

My way might seem to be a bit laborious but it just worked for me so here's what I did:
  1. Make a full NAND dump with hekate including BOOT0/1 just in case
  2. Since all data will be deleted from your SD card following these steps, create a temp folder on your computer and copy everything into it
  3. Download SX OS boot.dat and put it on the SD card's root directory
  4. Download their payload.bin as well and fire that up on your Switch while it is in RCM and while you hold VOL+
  5. In the SX OS bootmenu click the right button and then emunand
  6. Create a partition based emuNAND from there - this will take some time
  7. After it's finished, put your SD card in your computer. You will have a
    You will end up with the following:
    [30 GB hidden partition][rest of the card formatted to FAT32 with boot.dat on it]
  8. Take a USB flash drive (!) and flash the L4T Ubuntu image with Etcher to it
    (all data on the flash drive will be deleted!)
  9. Download either a GParted live image or any live Linux distribution (I took Ubuntu amd64) and flash/write that to another flash drive or a DVD so you can boot from it
  10. Boot your computer from it while your Switch SD card is connected to the computer so it is automatically mounted there
  11. Run GParted, unmount the FAT32 partition from there so you can resize it
  12. Resize it to free up some space for L4T Ubuntu. I resized it so there were around 16 GB after it at the end of the SD card
  13. Create an EXT4 partition in that unallocated free space with GParted and hit the apply button so both operations (resizing FAT32 and creating EXT4 partition) will be done - this will take some time
  14. Download a CloneZilla Live and flash/write that to a flash drive or DVD
    I burned it to a DVD with imgburn
  15. Boot your computer into CloneZilla while these both things are connected to your computer:
    • Switch SD card
    • flash drive from step 8 where you flashed the L4T image to
  16. In CloneZilla choose the options to clone not a whole drive but only a partition to another
  17. Choose expert mode so you can untick the option (with SPACE) to resize the destination partition size to the source partition size
  18. As the source partition choose the EXT4 partition (not the FAT32 one) from the flash drive from step 8
  19. As the destination partition choose the EXT4 partition from your Switch SD card that you just created with GParted
  20. Very important: remember how the devices are labeled (for example sdb, sdc, sdd and so on)
    In my case my source device (the flash drive from step 8) was sdb and the EXT4 partition on it was sdb1
    and my destition device (Switch SD card) was sdc and the destition EXT4 partition was sdc3
    What you need to remember now is the label of your source device (the USB flash drive)
  21. Now proceed and hit Y on both warnings that all data in the destination partition will be deleted (that's fine, it's really just the partition, not the whole SD card including your created emuMMC)
  22. Most likely CloneZilla will now complain that source and destition partition tables (MBR and GPT) are not the same and you have to resolve that first
    That's why I told you to remember the label from your flash drive!
    Hit ENTER and then get into the shell/commandline and type the following:
    sudo sgdisk -z /dev/sdx
    (where you replace x by the letter that you remembered)
    In my case it was /dev/sdb (without any numbers behind it)
    Confirm all warnings
  23. Now head back to step 16 and repeat the steps to clone the drive
    It should work now without complaints from CloneZilla
  24. After that is finished, boot back into your usual operation system on your computer and copy everything from your temp folder back to the FAT32 partition that you should be able to access from there
  25. Windows might complain about two "drives" that are not readable and need to be formatted - obviously that's your emuMMC and your L4T Ubuntu partition and you don't want to format them ... just ignore the messages
  26. Download the most recent L4T update (at this time it's 1.3.1), delete the boot.scr file and the boot folder (not to be confused with the bootloader folder!), then copy the content of the L4T update zip to the FAT32 partition of your SD card
  27. On your SD card rename the Nintendo folder to Emutendo
    If you boot into the emuMMC now all games that you had installed previously are present there
    If you want them to be present in your sysNAND instead for whatever reason leave the folder by its name Nintendo
  28. Edit you're SD:\bootloader\hekate_ipl.ini to cover all your needs (CFW emuMMC, Stock sysNAND, CFW sysNAND, L4T Ubuntu, whatever else you want)
    You can find an example of mine at the end of this guide
    The emuMMC section is important as it has to be exactly like that for Atmosphère to detect it
  29. On your SD root directory create a folder called emuMMC
  30. Inside that folder create an empty text file called emummc.ini and open it with a text editor
  31. Paste into it what I put at the end of this thread and save the file
  1. Put the SD card into your Switch and fire up the hekate payload
  2. Head to emuMMC and MIGRATE - it should detect and migrate it
Congratulations, that should be it. Now you can boot everything from within hekate.
Keep in mind that the initial boot of L4T Ubuntu takes some time while the screen is black. Be patient!
Also let me give you the advice to choose different themes for your sysNAND and emuMMC. I have the white theme enabled in my sysNAND while I have the dark theme in my emuMMC environment so I always definitely know where I am.

Here's my promised hekate_ipl.ini:
Code:
[config]
autoboot=0
autoboot_list=0
bootwait=1
verification=1
backlight=100
autohosoff=0
autonogc=1
{AtlasNX/Kosmos v13.0.2}
{}
{Discord: discord.teamatlasnx.com}
{Github: git.teamatlasnx.com}
{Patreon: patreon.teamatlasnx.com}
{Pegascape DNS: pegascape.sdsetup.com}
{}
{--- Custom Firmware ---}
[CFW (SYSNAND)]
emummc_force_disable=1
kip1patch=nosigchk
atmosphere=1
{}
[CFW (EMUMMC)]
kip1patch=nosigchk
atmosphere=1
{}
[SX OS]
payload=bootloader/payloads/SX_OS.bin
[Argon NX]
payload=bootloader/payloads/Argon_NX.bin
{--- Stock ---}
[Stock (SYSNAND)]
emummc_force_disable=1
stock=1
icon=bootloader/res/icon_switch.bmp
{}
[L4T Ubuntu]
payload=l4t-ubuntu/coreboot.rom

And here's the emummc.ini:
Code:
[emummc]
enabled = 1
sector = 0x2
nintendo_path = Emutendo

I did not test that yet so I can only assume it works, but it should!
In short, from current SD (SD1) to a bigger one (SD2):
  1. CloneZilla: Clone the whole SD1 to SD2
  2. GParted: Delete the EXT4 partition on SD2
  3. GParted: Resize the FAT32 partition on SD2 as you like but leave some space at the end for L4T Ubuntu
  4. GParted: Create an EXT4 partition out of that left unallocated space at the end of SD2
  5. CloneZilla: Clone only the EXT4 partition from SD1 to the newly created EXT4 partition on SD2 (similar to how I did it in the guide above with the temporary flash drive to get Linux onto my SD card)

im on Firmware Switch 6.2.0 - Custom Firmware"-(i believe it's firmware called hektate or something like that and or Kosmos??, not even sure if there same thing or different?) ,
wanting and or trying to find how to go about and updating my firmware without no issues-(while Keeping Custom Firmware) ,
also side note!: if im able to keep my custom firmware on the switch when after updating to either "Latest-Firmware" or at least "7.0.1"-Firmware.
also , do i even need to update and or even worry about updating to play latest games-(trying to play Fire Emblem three houses)-but worried it will make or ask me to update then i screwed?? :(
and or will forced to update when trying to play them??..

Last edited by Zaybokk, , Reason: Credit(s) where it due...

Cyan

GBATemp's lurking knight
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
France
hekate is not a firmware, but a RCM payload (program).
it's used to manage the device (NAND dump/write, etc.), launch other programs, firmware, custom firmwares patchers, etc.

Atmosphère, ReiNX and SXOS are the custom firmware patching HorizonOS (the official switch interface) to add new features.

Kosmos is a package with pre-setup Atmosphère settings and bundled with useful homebrew such as homebrew menu/launcher, appstore, etc.

your question has nothing to do with this thread.
this thread is about launching and writing Linux and redirected MMC on the same SD card, nothing do to with CFW or Horizon.
You should ask either in a new thread, or in a noob paradise thread.

Reactions: Zaybokk

Zaybokk

Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
hekate is not a firmware, but a RCM payload (program).
it's used to manage the device (NAND dump/write, etc.), launch other programs, firmware, custom firmwares patchers, etc.

Atmosphère, ReiNX and SXOS are the custom firmware patching HorizonOS (the official switch interface) to add new features.

Kosmos is a package with pre-setup Atmosphère settings and bundled with useful homebrew such as homebrew menu/launcher, appstore, etc.

your question has nothing to do with this thread.
this thread is about launching and writing Linux and redirected MMC on the same SD card, nothing do to with CFW or Horizon.
You should ask either in a new thread, or in a noob paradise thread.

okay thanks for explaining a few things about this.. and sorry for that ,
could u possibly redirect and or move thread to proper one then?..-( i would do it myself but i don't know think it will let me do that?, correct as needed thank you)
im just trying not to accidentally brick my switch by doing and or trying a new update while keeping custom firmware..

D

Deleted-172301

Currently playing with Gdisk. I've printed out my partition table. I might have to reorder some things, but I basically went off of the file size the other day, and gave each partition a buffer of 1mb or so. I might need to resize these.

The 32gb partition is my FAT32 drive. I'm going to see if I can just change the partition table to a hybrid. Keeping the FAT32, L4T on MBR, and the rest on GPT.

Code:
Number  Start (sector)    End (sector)  Size       Code  Name
   1            2048        67110911   32.0 GiB    EF01  Basic data partition
   2        67110912        67256319   71.0 MiB    8300
   3       100665344       121636863   10.0 GiB    0700  Basic data partition
   4       121636864       125544447   1.9 GiB     0700  Basic data partition
   5        67256320        67319807   31.0 MiB    8300
   6        67319808        67465215   71.0 MiB    8300
   7        67465216        72153087   2.2 GiB     8300
   8        72153088        74498047   1.1 GiB     8300
   9        74498048       100665343   12.5 GiB    8300

I ended up messing this up. So starting from scratch. I'm thinking of Creating the FAT32 partition first, then L4T then android last.

Going to bed lol. This will require some time that I don't have today.

Last edited by ,

Cyan

GBATemp's lurking knight
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
France
the size and order are not the same than android image?
you have 71 and 31MB before the 2GB system ? then 1GB vendor ?
on the image, it's FAT (hos_data), Vendor, System, boot, recovery, dtb, userdata

I don't know if the partition order is important for android. I know lot of android version/device have different partition number and layout, so maybe that's not a problem.

83 : linux (ext4)
07 : exFAT
EF : same as EE, maybe EF has better compatibility as "protective MBR FAT32"with other managers and OS.
I checked the image, some partition have "android!" header (not ext4).

no idea why your code is using 2 bytes, it's not conventional.

Last edited by Cyan,

Cyan

GBATemp's lurking knight
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
France
I just thought about something else ;)

I'm currently doing the SD flashing, but I think I'll do it manually, partition by partition using dd (or another image writer, because balena just crashes on my computer).
Apparently, the boot.scr file doesn't contain a starting sector information, but a partition number information.
What we know :
L4T boot.scr is booting partition 2
Android boot.scr is booting partition4 or 5

I'm trying this on my 256GB SD Card:
MBR, GPT, 180GB FAT32, 8GB L4t, 12GB Android partitions, 32GB MMC

I'll try to put "vendor" after the "recovery" to keep partition 4 and 5 at correct position.
so I have FAT32 first, also defined in MBR.
I have GPT with all partitions
L4t second
Boot 4th
recovery 5th
MMC at the end

I'm using EaseUS, but it's not very precise, it doesn't let me enter hex or sector number, it uses "MB" as unit. at least, easeUS let me partition the SD card in GPT and make plenty of empty partitions.
Maybe I'll try Gparted? I don't have linux nor any bootable image. edit: gparted doesn't either.

hmm, not easy to do what I want with bad programs..

edit:
I couldn't do anything, all tools are useless and bad. balena doesn't work for me, and I don't have time to try to debug anymore today.
why there's no way to either create exact sector size partition, or just "write image as new partition"?
Maybe Acronis can do it.

edit2 : easeUS doesn't let me move/resize additional partitions, only the first one. what the hell?

EaseUS, gParted, Parted, Minitool all are using "MB" as partition size.
I want a tool which let me set specific sector size, or byte size.
I want to create new empty place holder partition the exact same size than the image, so I can write the image to each partitions with dd, or another tool.

I didn't try Clonezilla (don't have it), nor Acronis (I have Acro11, but don't want to reboot into it today).

Flashing android image and then moving all partitions around might be a solution, if EaseUS let me do it. but there's no move option. why managers are so lacking simple features?

Last edited by Cyan,

leon315

POWERLIFTER
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
@lordelan thanks Mann, for such detailed guide, haven't been followed the scene a while, with emunand can our Switch finally connect to internet to play legit card games and maintain homebrew at same time?

Reactions: lordelan

lordelan

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
@lordelan thanks Mann, for such detailed guide, haven't been followed the scene a while, with emunand can our Switch finally connect to internet to play legit card games and maintain homebrew at same time?
As Cyan said, there's better ways but you can still follow it as it's still up to date.
Also - although this answer belongs in the emuMMC thread - yes: The use case for an emuMMC/emuNAND is to use homebrew and so on while keeping the sysNAND clean for online play. ;)

Reactions: leon315

leon315

POWERLIFTER
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
The guide is detailed but has lot of unnecessary steps. it's currently not the best to follow, we are trying to make an easier and more complete one, if we find good tools for that.
and where can i find the easier method?

D

Deleted-172301

We have been picking at ideas that have come about due to the cool factor of having a penta-boot.

Dig through the thread. We've all posted various ideas. I was able to get this working by using a ubuntu live to partition and write the images that are needed.

tabzer

This place is a meme.
Trophies
XP
Country
Japan
I'm using EaseUS, but it's not very precise, it doesn't let me enter hex or sector number

I know the UI makes it look old, but did you try DiskGenius? You can get the professional version, from sources...

Also, are you using Windows 10?

Last edited by tabzer,

Cyan

GBATemp's lurking knight
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
France
I'm using win7 as main computer, but I have access to an old win10 which refuse to update and crashes on BIOS error after each forced win10 updates and have to use recovery mode to boot it again.... and can't stop the update from downloading and re-crashing in loop every time I'm forces to "install and shutdown". I really hate laptop with bundled manufacturer's drivers.

The free version doesn't have the option to partition or make images?
edit: I found the feature comparison. pro is what I'd like, or at least the standard for partition image.
"sources..." are often full of viruses, I stopped trying to get files from shady places.

Last edited by Cyan,

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Att did offer a $500gc tempting to use it for 6 months and cancel