Partition based emuMMC and L4T Ubuntu on the same SD card

Discussion in 'Switch - Tutorials' started by lordelan, Jul 21, 2019.

1. tabzer

tabzer GBAtemp Fan

Feb 15, 2019
    Japan
    Well, that's kind of the reason why Android has 6 freaking partitions. It's about 2-3 too many for this build though. You should re-purpose one of those for swap. :)

2. ~~Tito~~

~~Tito~~ GBAtemp Regular

Apr 7, 2009
    United States
    Android needs boot, recovery, and probably the other. Those are all used during the boot process. Repurposing those probably isn’t an option. Boot contains the kernel I think. Recovery is for twrp. Not sure what the third is for, but looks to be specific to this build of android.

If down the road devs decided to write hekate to include android OS functions then I’m sure it would eliminate the need for them.

tabzer likes this.
  3. tabzer

tabzer GBAtemp Fan

Feb 15, 2019
    Japan
    I'm thinking that I got the wrong information about the usefulness of those partitions then. I think you are right.

4. ~~Tito~~

~~Tito~~ GBAtemp Regular

Apr 7, 2009
    United States
    Yeah, I think the way android currently boots is it gets forced to recovery, then you boot to system. The other items are there for when they push out a new release. Recovery would be used to write to those partitions.

If hekate could take the full place of a normal android bootloader. Then this would all be easier as we could define where are partitions located and avoid all these funny little tricks. It sort of does that now, but I think we are really just forcing the android boot cycle instead of going the traditional route. I could be wrong though.

I’m sure they have thought of that and probably will sort this out as the build matures.

Last edited by ~~Tito~~, Aug 3, 2019
    tabzer likes this.
  5. Halo69

Halo69 Member

Newcomer
    Aug 6, 2019
    United States
    Ok so i did everything but L4t is not booting. When i choose to launch L4t from hekate it looks like it want to boot cause screen is black with a backlight, but all of a surtain within a second the screen goes pitch black and no L4t boot, everything else boot (cfw,ofw,emunand) but not L4T.
    I did noticed also that no boot.scr file and the boot folder was not created in the fat32 partition during clonezilla process.

Last edited by Halo69, Nov 11, 2019
  6. lordelan
    OP

lordelan GBAtemp Psycho!

Jan 4, 2015
    Germany
    Step 26. You take the latest update anyway and put that to the FAT32 partition.
    Also keep in mind that first boot takes up ages (but of course won't work without those files being available on the FAT32 partition).

7. Halo69

Halo69 Member

Newcomer
    Aug 6, 2019
    United States
    Yeah i did took latest update 1.5.0 and put it to the FAT32 partition, i'll re-do the steps maybe something went wrong. Now everytime i flash the l4t img regular with etcher and at initial boot black screen there is a backlight but with this steps it gave me a backlight at 1st but then it went pitch black (like rcm mode) is that supposed to happen?
    Also etcher when it creates the FAT32 partition it adds the boot.scr file and boot folder but when i did the clonezilla clone it didnt and in your steps you mention to delete those (i didnt needed to cause they wasnt in the FAT32 partition)
    Also do i have to do the emunand with SX OS boot.dat? Cause what i did i created at 1st a FAT32 partition With Minitool Partition Wizard and created emunand with Hekate and then i did your steps.
    Also by the way in CloneZilla there is alot of options to choose from that you didnt explain, specially for 1st user. I did choose expert and untick (to resize the destination, etc) there is some other options by default that is ticked by i didnt touch it.
    However it also CloneZilla did not complain (that the source and destination partition tables *MBR and GPT* are not the same) so i couldnt enter sudo sgfisk -x /dev/sd(x)
    Also i did noticed that the label from gparted is different from CloneZilla. EXAMPLE: In Gparted my source is sdd and destination is sdc
    And in CloneZilla the source is sdc and destination is sdd (is like backwards) which one is right?

Last edited by Halo69, Nov 11, 2019
  8. tabzer

tabzer GBAtemp Fan

Feb 15, 2019
    Japan
    Sounds like your boot.scr is the issue. You may need to edit it to refer to the proper partitions to boot.

9. Halo69

Halo69 Member

Newcomer
    Aug 6, 2019
    United States
    Once i get home from work i'll check that out. Thanks

10. Halo69

Halo69 Member

Newcomer
    Aug 6, 2019
    United States
    ocs-05-b-2-expert-param-extra. In Clonezilla expert mode default settings do i leave those ticked besides the resizing one?

11. Halo69

Halo69 Member

Newcomer
    Aug 6, 2019
    United States
    I'm on Disks tool, in the L4T ubuntu build in which folder exactly will i find that 1.img to restore? I can't find it.

12. tabzer

tabzer GBAtemp Fan

Feb 15, 2019
    Japan
    Did you extract it from the L4T image or are you having trouble locating where you put it?

13. Halo69

Halo69 Member

Newcomer
    Aug 6, 2019
    United States
    Well i'm looking for it on the usb flash drive i flashed.

14. tabzer

tabzer GBAtemp Fan

Feb 15, 2019
    Japan
    If you flashed the usb drive with L4T, it will no longer be an image file. What you needed to do was to unpackage the L4T image file into a directory, and you will have 1.img, 2.img, etc.

I don't know what you are doing. If you are able to comprehend how this topic started, and what was said, then all the instructions are already laid out. I believe you are doing steps that have never been suggested.

15. Halo69

Halo69 Member

Newcomer
    Aug 6, 2019
    United States
    20191114_130944.
    Well i did all the steps from page 1 just like says. My emunand boots, cfw boots, ofw boots, except L4T ubuntu, i did read here that resizing the FAT32 breaks MBR in ubuntu and to use windows to resize, and yes in this thread reading thru some pages (page 2, etc) it is suggested to restore 1.img to ext4 using disks in ubuntu.
    Also in 1st page mentions that CloneZilla will complaint that source and destination partition tables (MBR and GPT) are not the same and to resolve that 1st but i never get that message (after pressing "Y" for both warning it goes straight to cloning. (Im using latest version maybe its different now)
    Also i choose expert mode and untick (to resize the destination partition size to the source partition size) then after its done cloning ext4 i notice it leaves an unallocated space on sdcard.
    Well but i did managed to get 1.img using peazip to extract l4t image and THEN extract image again to get 1.img.
    Just trying to do other steps like its been suggested here to make this work.
    And last, when creating emunand with SX OS boot.dat it creates succesfully but when i put sdcard on pc there is also an unallocated space, so sxos doesnt make its own fat32 30gb partition? I never used sxos, always used hekate making myself the partition.

Last edited by Halo69, Nov 14, 2019
    tabzer likes this.
  16. tabzer

tabzer GBAtemp Fan

Feb 15, 2019
    Japan
    I didn't use sxos as it seems to messy. I used hekate/atmosphere's emummc solution. The tools I used were based on Tariq's video walkthrough: gparted and gdisk. I don't know how SX OS manages partitions exactly. Also, typically for emummc (emunand too), the partition won't be a fat32 format after the emu is created. Most operating systems won't recognize it. It's been a while since I've done this setup for my switch as I haven't needed to fix or change anything, so I am becoming more unreliable as this thread "progresses". I remember when I was experimenting, I had a list of what I wanted: OFW, atmosphere (emummc), Lakka, LineageOS, and L4T.

I remember that I watched Tariq's video 1x to get familiar with the process, then I had calculate all the partition start/end points before I followed his video again. He didn't install L4T in his video (unless he updated it), but he did leave room for it at the end. How much room you reserve is up to you, and you should also consider if you want another partition for swap. I added my modded boot.scr files to the thread that work with my emummc setup, following Tariq's partitioning pattern.

I didn't touch tools like clonezilla.

Last edited by tabzer, Nov 15, 2019
    Halo69 likes this.
Quick Reply
Draft saved Draft deleted