a real gril
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
ChrisRX said:
SoulSnatcher said:
The Pandora is not worth $500.
I could a purchase a laptop that does everything the Pandora does for $500.
You could find a laptop that fits in your pocket with keyboard and gaming controls and a 14 hour battery life for $500? If you know of one then please share!

YES!! I know of one! Go here: bu.tt/en6

Mr.Leb

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Just to clarify, this is just a move by the Pandora team to strum up extra cash to hire assemblers so they can get more units out.
As far as I know, the $500 price tag is not permanent, and is essentially for preorderers who want to jump to the front of the line for a fee.

I'm one of those preorders, and I would not cough up the extra 170 dollars for it. I've been thinking of getting a refund myself. It's my dream console, but I'm getting sick and tired of waiting for the damn thing.

(And, for most people on this scene, it's not desirable at all. It's a low-power, high battery, miniature laptop. The gaming aspect IS really, really weak compared to 3DS and PSP2. I want it because I'm a nerd. I want a clamshell device with the whole internet, including java and flash that fits in my pocket. Sue me for being naive
tongue.gif
)

Fireballo

Banned!
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I have a GP2X Wiz I payed $124 for and I don't see much that the Pandora can do that my Wiz can't. There's no killer emulator that would make me bite at $350. It's a great design, I love the keyboard and nubs but the hardware is already out dated. It's really too bad but they already need a Pandora 2. I had high hopes for this bit it's a day late and two hundred dollars too much. I really wish them the best and I hope they make it. One final note these have been going for $500 on ebay so they seem to be doing ok at that price.

Another World

Emulate the Planet!
OP
Former Staff
Trophies
Website
wiki.gbatemp.net
XP
Country
Colombia
i still do want a pandora but i had hoped the price would go down, not up. i just don't have $350 sitting around these days let alone $500. i'd rather save up for new tires for my car and eat food than drop $350 on another hand held that pretty much does what my other hand helds can do. granted the pandora is a bit more powerful but those few added emulators aren't worth the price for me.

-another world

TheDarkSeed

I'm a pretentious sack of shit
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
When I first saw the Pandora, I thought this was the best gaming device out there. But I still thought it was too expensive. I still think this is a great device. The price it just too much, and makes the overall console less attractive to me. I still think it would be nice to have one though...

Smogen

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
For 500 dollars you could purchase a brand new PS3 and an 11.6" Hori screen that supports 720p and just dual boot linux and the game OS. Granted you would have to plug it in to a power source to use it but it is a far more powerful setup than several pandoras put together.

HtheB

Trophies
Website
www.HtheB.com
XP
Country
Netherlands
I have the Nokia N900, it has 99% the same hardware as the Pandora.
Does also EMU's
smile.gif
(Even PSX!)
Runs also on Linux, can run linux (PC) apps and also has 3G connection!
smile.gif

Oh btw, the N900 costs about 250$-350$!
smile.gif

Now THAT is worth the money!

Nokia-N900.jpg

Edit: Oh and by the way, you can use this addon to play your games even easier:
Game-Gripper-N900.jpg

cyberninja

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
$500 ouch. It was interesting to see it in development.

I'm beginning to think it would have been easier and cheaper to take an existing netbook and just modify the controls.

Intranet

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Wow, people a really ripping into the Pandora now seeing its extra cost. I had never heard of it before but seeing its features it looks pretty awesome, its like a full-fledged computer but the size of a DS
ohmy.gif
In any case I just found the reasoning for the $500 price tag here: http://boards.openpandora.org/index.php?/t...with-a-premium/ so the $500 price tag is *not* for people who have already preordered but rather for those who want a Pandora in 7 days. *shrugs* the 3DS is coming, I've got my eyes on that.

spotanjo3

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
No thanks. A laptop is more powerful than Pandora and more afford. It is ridiculous. They are doing it for their own profits to make more money. NO THANKS!!!!

fraseyboy

Trophies
XP
Country
New Zealand
RockmanForte said:
No thanks. A laptop is more powerful than Pandora and more afford. It is ridiculous. They are doing it for their own profits to make more money. NO THANKS!!!!

Except that you're full of shit. The OMAP3 is surprisingly powerful given its age, probably more powerful than the shitty Atoms which can be found in cheap netbooks. Besides, it's an entirely different beast to a laptop. For one it's far smaller, it's got proper gaming controls including dual analog nubs, the battery life beats most cheap netbooks... It's a one of a kind device and there is nothing else like it on the market right now.

If you'd taken the time to read you would have discovered that this is not for profit, it is so more people can be hired to help assemble and the current backlog of pre-orderers can be cleared quicker.

Obviously it's not a mainstream device (since the mainstream mainly comprises of idiots who think the blue 'e' on their desktop is the internet) and thus cannot be treated as one.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    The Real Jdbye @ The Real Jdbye: ballcock