PAL PS3 and PAL FFVIII

Discussion in 'Sony PlayStation 1 & 2' started by Jamstruth, Jan 2, 2010.

Jan 2, 2010

PAL PS3 and PAL FFVIII by Jamstruth at 7:52 PM (932 Views / 0 Likes) 5 replies

1. Jamstruth
    OP

Member Jamstruth Secondary Feline Anthropomorph

United Kingdom
    Just something I'm curious about. If I try to run my PAL UK version of FFVIII on my PAL PS3 after the PS logo I just get a black screen and the game appears to make no attempt to load, the PS2 I own runs the game fine so I know there is nothing wrong with the actual disks but I do know that FFVIII in PAL has some form of copy-protection on the disc, does the PS3's PS1 emulator not have a way of circumventing this? If it doesn't this is terrible show on Sony's part and they should really update it however the PAL copy of FFIX also has copy protection on it and the PS3 can run it just fine.
    Can anybody else confirm that the PAL version of FFVIII does not work on PS3 just so I know I've not gone insane...

2. uiaad

Newcomer uiaad Member

United Kingdom
    Sorry there mate, doesnt look like FFVIII (Pal) works on the ps3

3. XWolf

Member XWolf GBAtemp Advanced Fan

United Kingdom
    Which PS3 do you have? Is it one of the first ones with a 40gb hd?

4. Jamstruth
    OP

United Kingdom
    I believe its an 80gb HDD so it runs software emulation. Its seems an odd oversight for Sony if its a mistake considering FF games are some of the most popular on the original PS1. Of course it could easily just be because the NTSC version has no copy-protection and perhaps the NTSC FFIX does so they fixed that problem and left the PAL FFVIII.

5. XWolf

Member XWolf GBAtemp Advanced Fan

United Kingdom
    Actually all PS1 games run on all PS3s (apart from a couple of obscure ones).

I have FFVIII, I have an 80gb PS3... Works for me... Mine are PAL too my fellow Brit.

Check your various options in the System menu, can't remember which at the moment and cannot check as in wrong place..

6. Jamstruth
    OP

United Kingdom
    I suppose something in the settings could be setting it off but it seems odd since my other games all work fine...