Gaming PAL Brawl differences

CambridgeGuy

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
I've had the US version of Brawl for ages (I imported it months back), and yesterday I played the newly released PAL version. Aside from obvious language differences and renaming stuff like Starfox to Starwing, there's one other, more worrying, difference: the game seems to only work in 50hz, even if you set your Wii to 60hz in the Wii's settings menu (haven't been able to try progressive scan, don't know if that works). This is strangn because the back of the box has the 50hz/60hz icon, meaning that the game should support 60hz mode.

This forced 50hz resulted in some noticable froblems. The intro to the game (before the FMV starts) where you see all the characters lined up, is really juddery with an inconsistent framerate. The speed of the game, however, is the same as before, so it has clearly been optimised for 50hz. However there is sometimes slowdown, which i never noticed when playing the US version. This is probably due to the higher resolution of 50hz mode. Another (very small) difference is the "Now Loading" wording at the bottom corner of the screen is now slightly higher up. This is again probably because the game has not been well adjusted for the higher resolution.

Now for the fun part: if you use Gecko OS, you can *force* the game to run at 60hz. This seems to fix the issues outlined above, but it also causes one other, more significant difference. The gameplay is noticably faster. I have yet to try playing in this faster mode online (I don't own the PAL version myself), but it would be interesting to see if you can get any advantage from this.

Has anyone else noticed this? Can the game be played in 480p? (480p requires 60hz, but according to the games box, the game supports it)

manias

Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
did you perhaps use wiifrii e.g.? that swapped video modes in the US brawl.. if you set yer wii to 480i for example it would be 480p etc.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Sonic Angel Knight @ Sonic Angel Knight: :ninja: