• Start date
  • Views 3,317
  • Replies 26
D

Deleted User

OP
prints_money.gif

QUOTE said:
Industry analyst, Michael Pachter has said that he doesn't expect to see a new console-cycle, because the next generation of gaming will come through the likes of Cloud-based systems such as OnLive.

Speaking during a conference at PAX 2010, the Wedbush analyst said he's unsure if we'll see a new console cycle from the likes of Sony or Microsoft:

"Where technology is right now, I'm not sure we're going to have another console cycle," he said

"We could but let's say that the next console cycle is 3D or holograms or something like that - Why can't you have that be server based and have OnLive deliver it?

"I think what we saw a couple of days ago with Apple TV where they said we're getting rid of the hard drive, everything is streaming, everything is in the Cloud. That's where gaming is going," he said.

"Now, Microsoft and Sony and Nintendo do not want that to happen... They don't want in the Cloud because they can't sell you a console."

Pachter's comments at PAX are an extension of what he said last week about OnLive potentially causing the PlayStation 4 and Xbox 720 to fail.

Fine, Source.

_Chaz_

GBAtemp's Official Mook™
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I don't get why this matters...

As long as I can play some games, I don't care about the Cloud.

kirby145

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The cloud is bad for gamers as they will have to pay higher prices for games. They won't go on sale or anything.

Also, it's not as good as he makes it sound. He doesn't have a good understanding of computers.

Hop2089

Cute>Hot
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Somebody boot out this blasphemer.

Onlive also won't catch on since both westerner and easterner alike like the excitement of new consoles and still love to own them, it's a status system of both regions' Gen Y set. Plus, who has the bandwidth to deal with this even Japan has some restrictions.

Gnargle

The day I set a profile picture is the day I die
Trophies
XP
Country
Maybe in 10 years time, maybe. Most of the world just doesn't have the internet speed to stream games (myself included). This analyst clearly thinks that America is the be-all and end-all of vidyadom.

_Chaz_

GBAtemp's Official Mook™
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
"YEAH! I'M WINNING!!!"

-Buffering...-

GAME OVER

-cry-

Also, wouldn't it be harder to regulate online gameplay?
Not only would piracy be through the roof, but hackers would be fucking everywhere.
Of course this is assuming it's not to laggy to notice.

cris92x

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Unless the U.S. companies start upgrading the internet services they provide Onlive is going to be laggy and pretty crappy. Seriously U.S. has slow internet speeds compared to other countries, on top of that nobody wants to pay a monthly fee and still pay for the game and then after all that once u stop the service u lose the games as well. Also why is this dumbass always on the news section.... Its like your listening to a 4 year old kid talk nonsense all the time.( Sorry i offended four year olds)

trumpet-205

Embrace the darkness within
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
I opposed the idea of OnLive. It is just not realistic for gamers at this point.

But I do agree that PS3 and Xbox 360 can still stay alive for a long while before the next generation.

TM2-Megatron

Predacon Commander
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Canada
Pachter really needs to gtfo. Aside from simply preferring a nice package and physical media, there's also the fact I don't like this idea because gaming in Canada would completely die if everything went to streaming. 90% or more of ISP plans have very low bandwidth limits. It's a disgrace to the country, but it's not going to change for some time.

aiRWaLKRe

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
ThatDudeWithTheFood said:
OnLive is laggy as crap when those speeds are consistent and work maybe OnLive will do somethign in the world.

I use onlive and my connection is good enough to play it wifi and notice next to no lag. So it all depends on the type of connection you have. I just luck out to have a $$$ hogging fast enough connection to be able to use it. But cloud gaming is still in its infancy stage and it won't catch on well until better broadband is available to more and more people, IMO.

DaMummy

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
i dont see how future gen consoles would benefit from this, onlive is only beneficial for running games like crysis on wifi supported handhelds like iphone or openpandora or other smart phones

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: @E1ite007, I just found this randomly.