p1ng's Nintendo Switch hands-on impressions

Hi guys, I recorded a quick audio log of my thoughts immediately after attending the Nintendo switch hands on preview. The footage taken is from my phone and nothing special, just filler for the sake of showing what the event was like that is relooped halfway through.

I also just saw the prices of the switch peripherals and games, frankly I was disgusted. I felt that I needed to record an extra ten minutes of audio to voice my concerns. The prices for the games and accessories for the switch are purely Nintendo gouging its fanbase. Nothing can justify the prices here, in my opinion if these prices are not lowered by a good 30% across the board the switch is DOA and will fail.

D

Deleted User

You know, even if you think the stuff they threw into the Joycons is unnecessary and shouldn't be there, you gotta admit, it is a bit cool. I personally think the 3D rumble sounds useless, but kinda cool at the same time. Same with that weird feature that can sense the distance of stuff in front of the Joycon.

Foxi4

Endless Trash
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
You know, even if you think the stuff they threw into the Joycons is unnecessary and shouldn't be there, you gotta admit, it is a bit cool. I personally think the 3D rumble sounds useless, but kinda cool at the same time. Same with that weird feature that can sense the distance of stuff in front of the Joycon.
The Powerglove was "a bit cool" too, except ultimately it wasn't even good enough to jerk off with. Features need to have a point, otherwise they're not features, they're gimmicks. The joycons traded the d-pad for an NFC reader that I will never, ever use and "3D rumble" that will effectively ruin battery life, so I'll probably turn it off. Great.

Xzi

Time to fly, 621
Trophies
Website
gbatemp.net
XP
Country
United States
The Powerglove was "a bit cool" too, except ultimately it wasn't even good enough to jerk off with. Features need to have a point, otherwise they're not features, they're gimmicks. The joycons traded the d-pad for an NFC reader that I will never, ever use and "3D rumble" that will effectively ruin battery life, so I'll probably turn it off. Great.
The d-pad is on the left joy con, the NFC reader is on the right. I doubt the rumble will use much more battery than any wireless controller with rumble uses.

Reactions: Deleted User

Foxi4

Endless Trash
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
The d-pad is on the left joy con, the NFC reader is on the right. I doubt the rumble will use much more battery than any wireless controller with rumble uses.
I thought both Joycons had NFC? The more you know. In that case I guess left/right joycons should have different prices since they feature different tech and one is obviously more expensive to make than the other, if only by a little.

And no, that is not a d-pad, that's four buttons. They do not look like one, nor do they fit the definition of one - they're just in the right place, which doesn't make them a d-pad. They might pass for a d-pad on a cheap Chinese Popstation, not on a brand-new system from Nintendo. I realise that there's a reason for it, however that doesn't mean I have to like it.

Last edited by Foxi4,

Tom Bombadildo

Dick, With Balls
Trophies
Website
POCKET.LIKEITS
XP
Country
United States
Seeing all those stupidly high prices have basically put me completely off the Switch for now. I was weary that the console itself was priced at $300, but $80 for two tiny controllers? Are you insane? For a company that "believes in couch multiplayer" this is simply fucking you in the ass bone dry with a cactus. And what fuckwit decided to price 1-2-Switch fucking $50? Like p1ng, I thought it was going to be free with the console ._.

Can't say too much about some of the game prices though, since $60 is standard for most AAA games here so it makes sense for LoZ and new 3D Mario. But MK8D is $60 here which is simply appalling for a glorified up-port, same with Skyrim.

I'll wait for either the first price drop or the holiday season when it goes on sale.

grossaffe

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I thought both Joycons had NFC? The more you know.

And no, that is not a d-pad, that's four separate buttons. It might pass for a d-pad on a cheap Chinese Popstation, not on a brand-new system from Nintendo. I realise that there's a reason for it, however that doesn't mean I have to like it.
Oh, you'll like it. I'll make you like it. Maybe not today, maybe not tomorrow, but when you least suspect it... WHAM! You'll be liking it and not know what hit you.

Reactions: Foxi4

Xzi

Time to fly, 621
Trophies
Website
gbatemp.net
XP
Country
United States
And no, that is not a d-pad, that's four separate buttons. It might pass for a d-pad on a cheap Chinese Popstation, not on a brand-new system from Nintendo. I realise that there's a reason for it, however that doesn't mean I have to like it.
I mean, that's literally all any D-pad is, four buttons that you can press in combination for eight different directions. At least with this design it's unlikely that the whole thing will break all at once, as I've had happen with traditional D-pads.

D

Deleted User

And what fuckwit decided to price 1-2-Switch fucking $50? Like p1ng, I thought it was going to be free with the console ._.
...Wait, 1 2 Switch is $50? I honestly thought it was also gonna be bundled with the console like you did. I was actually sorta excited for 1 2 Switch. (Even though it looks a little bit stupid, but I think that's part of what I like about it.) I mean, I still am, but...

I should've watched the second video in the OP. :T

Foxi4

Endless Trash
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
I mean, that's literally all any D-pad is, four buttons that you can press in combination for eight different directions. At least with this design it's unlikely that the whole thing will break all at once, as I've had happen with traditional D-pads.
Don't play dumb. That most certainly is not what a d-pad is. A directional pad is a singular piece of plastic which operates four or more touch points on the PCB. It's not four separate buttons. There is a massive difference in using four individual buttons and a d-pad, it doesn't take a genius to explain the difference. If you think it's the same thing, enjoy pressing up and down simultaneously by accident, or similar combinations the d-pad was specifically designed to prevent. If we're being so pedantic, an analog stick is just two analog sliders or pots - why bother with a stick, just put two knobs on there and turn them individually for each axis, that makes sense, right?

Last edited by Foxi4,
D

Deleted User

Sorta, I find that D-pads are designed to connected (or at least separated but extremely close like on PS controllers) so you can easily slide your finger over to one of the other parts of the D-pad, since that's something you need to do more often with D-pads than you do with A/B/X/Y buttons.

Reactions: Foxi4

Foxi4

Endless Trash
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
Sorta, I find that D-pads are designed to connected (or at least separated but extremely close like on PS controllers) so you can easily slide your finger over to one of the other parts of the D-pad, since that's something you need to do more often with D-pads than you do with A/B/X/Y buttons.
One of the many reasons why d-pads exist, yes. People have been using them for decades because the design is more fit for purpose than four individual buttons, but let's pretend that it isn't, right guys?

Anyone who has ever used a "d-pad" that consists of individual buttons or button pairs, which is common on cheapo Chinese crap, will back me up on this - it feels weird, it's inaccurate and it never works.

Last edited by Foxi4,

Angely

Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
@p1ngpong Thanks for sharing your thoughts & experience you had with the preview event with us. Those who called @p1ngpong 's & some others who your voiced serious & legit concerns about this system succes rate pessimistic should ask themselves, whether it's ok to:

1. be feeling forced to wait untill the prices drop, because the products are overpriced at launch.
2. be insulted/let down like this by a big company that has been supported by fans for years ( for me it's big let down that they treat people like they have a big wallet/money tree that won't die)
3. see maybe 1 of your favorite gamestudio/dev to quit/go bankrupt etc., because they maybe took the gamble to sell 1 or more games exclusively to Nintendo for this system so it would have a chance to succeed.

I could go on, but my point is that the often the skeptical/critical view is because it's the current reality after watching failings & succes Nintendo for years. Nintendo has a lot of things to make up for now & it's mostly their own attitude & wrong choices they made in the past that drove them & people to be this sceptical/dissatisfied etc.

The reality is also that they have to redeem themselves yet it doesn't seem like they're willing to lower their head/get of their high horse, quit rushing things etc...It might just be me seeing it like this, but for the past years they haven't giving me the feeling that I matter as a customer only thing they seemed to care about was my money. They've gotten millions of feedback & support iver the past years & yet all the seem to see is their own survival not our survival together.

Gaming is also luxe & expensive hobby (at least for me it is) & we're still living in a economical crisis. Yet company's in entertainment etc. don't seem to get it. They'd still try to milk you out regardless instead of being realistic, less greedy & more emphatic, supportive etc.

The reality is that a lot of people can't even afford to buy an A game per month, because they're to busy keeping their job/home/ looking for a job/supporting their family etc. & yet they still try to support other people creations they like by buying expensive things like games, art etc. to have fun & enjoy life/add some valuable things they can sell of for a decent price in time of need.

It's the mentality that people have nowdays 'Me, Me, Me & the rest....heh idc what happens to them, eventhough I actually might need them to survive', that makes people blind, deaf, fail etc. for some important things they would have noticed or succeeded at. I don't think most people like to be pessimistic or negative as everyone wants to be happy, successful etc. in life. I don't want Gaming Company's to dissappear either I want the game industry to be successful too as I like to play games & I'd love to support the people making it possible for me to game. So, yeah it's not only Nintendo wishes/dreams/plans etc. that're at stake here, but all other people's that're connected to them etc. I really hope that they & many other Companies,people with big influence will be able to see this at some point.

tltr: It's greed & often some other negative traits of humanity that make some people fail.

P.s sorry if I'm repeating some things I've been writing long posts today. xD

Foxi4

Endless Trash
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
@Angely I get your point about gaming being a somewhat luxurious, expensive hobby, but to me this isn't about money. I've got a PS4, an Xbox One, a Wii U, a 3DS and a Vita, I can afford another system, money is not an object. This is about value for money, about not getting scammed, and Nintendo is seriously pushing it a little with their new system. I assume that the use of cartridges contributes to inflated game prices and cuts into their profit margins, those things aren't cheap, but there needs to be some degree of decorum here - these prices are far beyond the competition's price points. I'll get the Switch at some point, but I'm sure it'll leave a sour taste in my mouth if the trend continues.

Last edited by Foxi4,

Angely

Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
@Angely I get your point about gaming being a somewhat luxurious, expensive hobby, but to me this isn't about money. I've got a PS4, an Xbox One, a Wii U, a 3DS and a Vita, I can afford another system. This is about value for money, about not getting scammed, and Nintendo is seriously pushing it a little with their new system. I assume that the use of cartridges contributes to inflated game prices and cuts into their profit margins, those things aren't cheap, but there needs to be some degree of decorum here - these prices are far beyond the competition's price points. I'll get the Switch at some point, but I'm sure it'll leave a sour taste in my mouth if the trend continues.

I'm in the same boat here.xD It's why I didn't even pre-order. I refuse & am sick to be/of being treated like this .

Last edited by Angely,
Reactions: Xiphiidae

stl25

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Absolutely correct. Can I afford one. Yes. Do I see $300-400 worth of value (buying a game), most certainly not. If you can afford it and feel the value is there, by all means buy it. I can think of lots of better ways to spend my $300 - $400 considering I also own Wii, Wii U, PS3, Xbox 360, PSVita, Xbox One, N3DS XL and PS4.

Reactions: Angely

Tigran

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Yeah.. I'd say being in the WiiU/Switch, Xbone, Xbox360, PS3/4 and Vita and 3DS... Yeah, I'd say they are kinda standard. *even games like Just dance use the phones for motion control*

stl25

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
So when did just dance comprise more than 1% of the total library for any of those systems? Niche game (kinda hard to dance with joy sticks)

How many non VR games utilize the Playstation 4 camera? Xbox kinda distanced itself from Kinect when they released the Xbox One S without a dedicated Kinect port. Standard huh?

Last edited by stl25,

Foxi4

Endless Trash
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
Nintendo didn't "invent" anything with the Switch - tablets with detachable controllers and HDMI output have existed for years. There is nothing to standardise here, the standards already exist, it's just that nobody uses them.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Nut on the hill