p1ng's Nintendo Switch hands-on impressions

Hi guys, I recorded a quick audio log of my thoughts immediately after attending the Nintendo switch hands on preview. The footage taken is from my phone and nothing special, just filler for the sake of showing what the event was like that is relooped halfway through.

I also just saw the prices of the switch peripherals and games, frankly I was disgusted. I felt that I needed to record an extra ten minutes of audio to voice my concerns. The prices for the games and accessories for the switch are purely Nintendo gouging its fanbase. Nothing can justify the prices here, in my opinion if these prices are not lowered by a good 30% across the board the switch is DOA and will fail.

Angely

Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
There's also 1 thing @p1ngpong didn't mention that I might see happen. TV's getting damaged, because someone thought it's OK to just remove/add an input device while it's on.

Each time I saw a video where they just unplug that thing while tv was on, I couldn't help but wondering if it's really OK to do that wouldn't the TV be harmed badly if this was done a lot of times. I actually remember clearly that when my TV had to get a repair a couple if years ago that the technician adviced me to always power of the tv when adding/removing an input device first or my TV could get damaged in case I wasn't aware of that. I can see many kids/adults do that & unknowingly damage their expensive TV. Bad example of Nintendo Switch promotions.

Tigran

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
There's also 1 thing @p1ngpong didn't mention that I might see happen. TV's getting damaged, because someone thought it's OK to just remove/add an input device while it's on.

Each time I saw a video where they just unplug that thing while tv was on, I couldn't help but wondering if it's really OK to do that wouldn't the TV be harmed badly if this was done a lot of times. I actually remember clearly that when my TV had to get a repair a couple if years ago that the technician adviced me to always power of the tv when adding/removing an input device first or my TV could get damaged in case I wasn't aware of that. I can see many kids/adults do that & unknowingly damage their expensive TV. Bad example of Nintendo Switch promotions.

Your not removing something from the TV. In this case it would litteraly be the same as putting the PS4 and Xbone in sleep mode.

Angely

Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
Your not removing something from the TV. In this case it would litteraly be the same as putting the PS4 and Xbone in sleep mode.

Idk about that as they seemed to advertise it that once you plug the Nintendo Switch in the dock you immediately get to see image/screen on your tv/monitor so literally plug & play. Nothing about the dock/ Nintendo Switch being in a sleep mode before inputing data to the TV.

Last edited by Angely,

osaka35

Instructional Designer
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
eh, all the extras sounds super exciting. i like waggle. pointing is super accurate for shooters (metroid prime for example) and haptic feedback is exciting as fuuuuu

Reactions: AutumnWolf

Xzi

Time to fly, 621
Trophies
Website
gbatemp.net
XP
Country
United States
Don't play dumb. That most certainly is not what a d-pad is. A directional pad is a singular piece of plastic which operates four or more touch points on the PCB. It's not four separate buttons. There is a massive difference in using four individual buttons and a d-pad, it doesn't take a genius to explain the difference. If you think it's the same thing, enjoy pressing up and down simultaneously by accident, or similar combinations the d-pad was specifically designed to prevent. If we're being so pedantic, an analog stick is just two analog sliders or pots - why bother with a stick, just put two knobs on there and turn them individually for each axis, that makes sense, right?
I won't argue it, but it's functionally the same from my point of view either way, and I use the analog sticks over the D-pad whenever available anyway. As I'm sure is the case for the majority of people.

Nintendo didn't "invent" anything with the Switch - tablets with detachable controllers and HDMI output have existed for years. There is nothing to standardise here, the standards already exist, it's just that nobody uses them.
The most prominent example would be the Shield tablet, but it doesn't run a whole lot natively. Switch is basically the evolution of that idea with more horsepower.

Last edited by Xzi,

grossaffe

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I won't argue it, but it's functionally the same from my point of view either way, and I use the analog sticks over the D-pad whenever available anyway. As I'm sure is the case for the majority of people.
I think a lot of people are happy to use d-pads for tradition 2D platforming type games.

Reactions: Deleted User

SS4

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Canada
Its all about the hype, i'm not sold on this at all.
Looks like itl be the next wii as preorders are already exhausted and everyone will buy this and i bet it will have tons of shovelware like the wii and DS did :P

the_randomizer

The Temp's official fox whisperer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I did preorder it, yes, and while I do have some concerns as most have, I want to be as cautiously optimistic as I can be and await more info as it comes along. And it still stands, I still think his accent is awesome :P

ov3rkill

Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
@p1ngpong This is out of topic, but, what phone did you use to record the video? It looks good.

Perhaps, their marketing department fail to give a shout out to the mainstream media and to the general population. That, or it's just not popular in EU or NOE doesn't care anymore.

Last edited by ov3rkill,

PolloDiablo

Madre de Dios! Es El POLLO DIABLO!!!
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Those Joycons are damn expensive!
Just curious... how much was the Wiimote at launch?

also... nintendoomed nintendooomed nintendoomed all over again. :glare:
You should change the name of the forums to that.

Last edited by PolloDiablo,
Reactions: Subtle Demise

Scarecrow B

ScrapTown
Trophies
XP
Country
Mexico
Let's be honest, this is actually what nitendo's investors really want. If Nintendo gives up on consoles they can focus on Pokemon Go and Mario Run which is what their investors really want Nintendo to do. So, I can see them backing up Nintendo’s decision on prices just because they want to see them fail.

Tigran

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Those Joycons are damn expensive!
Just curious... how much was the Wiimote at launch?

also... nintendoomed nintendooomed nintendoomed all over again. :glare:
You should change the name of the forums to that.

Just remember... you don't see people throwing hissy fits around here about the PSV tech demos costing 50 to 60 dollars. ;)

Reactions: Subtle Demise

endoverend

AKA zooksman
Trophies
Website
zooksman.com
XP
Country
United States
It's such a shame that the Mario game isn't a launch title. That alone could have really increased the Switch's momentum but now all we have at launch is Zelda which is also on Wii U, and a few gimmick games. They're making the same mistake they did with the Wii U, which was developing this whole concept and giving it no good releases until years down the line.

Last edited by endoverend,

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo:
    I had a girlfriend who had a twin sister and they would mess with me constantly.... Until one chipped a tooth then finally I could tell them apart.... Lol
    They would have the same hair style the same clothes everything... Really messed with my head lol
    @The Real Jdbye, I could see AMD trying to pull off the CPU GPU tandem thing, would be a way to maybe close the gap a bit with Nvidia. Plus it would kinda put Nvidia at a future disadvantage since Nvidia can't make X86/64 CPUs? Intel and AMD licensing issues... I wonder how much that has held back innovation.
  • The Real Jdbye @ The Real Jdbye:
    i don't think nvidia wants to get in the x64 cpu market anyways
    you've seen how much intel is struggling getting into the gpu market
    and nvidia is already doing ARM
    i don't think they want to take more focus away from their gpus
    Yeah I think Nvidia s future lays in AI GPU acceleration stuff if they can get that going it's going to be super interesting in the long term
    AI assisted game creation might become a thing
    At least that's something I think would be pretty cool.
    Don some VR glasses and gloves and talk to the computer and paint entire worlds
    "OK Cortana I want that mountain a little taller and more snow on top, and I would like some random ancient pine forest around the bottom"
    "Now we need a spring fed river flowing down the north side and add some wild life appropriate for the biome"
    Many TBs of assets and the programming of something like that is going to be tough but I think it's something we might see in 20 years maybe sooner
    @Psionic Roshambo AI assisted game creation is kinda already here, there was recently that AI that can turn any 2D image into a fully modeled 3D object, it's not perfect, but it's a starting point, beats starting from zero
    +1
    before that there was one to generate a fully modeled scene from a 2D image
    +1
    but most recently, there was one that actually generates a working unity scene with terrain and textures already set up that you can import right into unity, that's a huge time saver right there
    +1
    and using LLMs to generate NPC dialogue and even dynamically generated quests is something i'm sure is already happening
    +1
    will just take some time for games made using those things to be completed and released
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    @The Real Jdbye, it's bed bath and beyond you nitwit
    @K3Nv2 you said instructions with pictures, same difference
    Lol now with 32GBs of VRAM Ken?
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: Lol now with 32GBs of VRAM Ken?