Hacking Opinions... USB NDS backup device?

Mylar

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
http://www.consolesource.com/ecomm/catalog...ter-p-2815.html

>>>>>>>>>
The NDS Backup Adapter will allow you to copy NDS cartridge contents to your PC including precious save game data.

Product Features
•Backup the game save data from the NDS cartridge to PC computer
•Write the game save data from PC to the NDS cartridge
•Compatible with NDS and NDS Lite

>>>>>>>>>>

I play pokemon...

Done laughing?

Done now? Ok, good.

I play pokemon with my kids, and we actually play on the retail cartridges with no cheats whatsoever.

Last year we lost a DS on easter with a copy of platinum in slot one and a copy of emerald (with an extensive breeding program going) in slot 2.

That sucked.

My eldest daughter takes part in the video game championships, so I do not want to take any chances on corrupting the game data in a way that could make her inelegible, but I'd love a way to backup our savegames in case we run into another easter incident like last year.

Anyone used one of these things? I googled and searched the forums here and a few other sites, but "nds backup" results are nothing but people using the wifi backup utilitys to rip roms.

All I want is to secure savegames on our retail cartridges as a disaster recovery system.

Looking for input, thanks.

_Chaz_

GBAtemp's Official Mook™
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
What's so bad about playing Pokemon? I'm 18 and I've been a huge fan since Red.
Great series and I comend you for playing (any game) with your kids and taking an interest. You're a good parent.

I, personally, have not used a back-up tool. But I hear that they work great for things like this. I don't hear much about them, so I don't know if they are reliable.

DeltaBurnt said:
If you have a flashcart you can easily back up the saves and even the rom with homebrew.

Something tells me that flashcarts aren't allowed in tornement play.

mewtwo-EX

Newcomer
Trophies
Website
mewtwo-ex.deviantart.com
XP
Country
United States
I was a late comer to the Pokemon craze, starting out with Crystal. I'm 23 and still into it, so I don't think its anything to be ashamed about
smile.gif

To the point: I use the homebrew program Reinmoon to backup my DS saves. Reinmoon is able to both save and restore gamesaves flawlessly to retail DS cartridges, but is only compatible with Slot 2 devices (I use the Max Media Dock). I have not found a Slot 1 compatible program for backing up saves that works with my flashcard (AceKard)...

As for backing up GBA saves, I think Datel sold some products that did that, although they were unreliable.

A word of caution: With the ability to back up gamesaves comes the ability to duplicate Pokemon. It is fairly easy to tell when Pokemon have been duplicated using PokeSav, as their Individual Values will be identical. (The chances of two Pokemon having the same IVs is 8 times that of finding a shiny!). If Pokemon are duplicated, make sure that the duplicates are on separate teams!

Hope this helps

BoxShot

Chiyo-chan :3
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
_Chaz_ said:
What's so bad about playing Pokemon? I'm 18 and I've been a huge fan since Red.
Great series and I comend you for playing (any game) with your kids and taking an interest. You're a good parent.

I, personally, have not used a back-up tool. But I hear that they work great for things like this. I don't hear much about them, so I don't know if they are reliable.

DeltaBurnt said:
If you have a flashcart you can easily back up the saves and even the rom with homebrew.

Something tells me that flashcarts aren't allowed in tornement play.
So where does DeltaBurnt say anything about using a flashcart in a tournament? He said you can use a homebrew program on the flashcart to backup your save. You also can restore your save through the same homebrew onto the official cart.

Anyways as DeltaBurnt said you can use homebrew to do all that. Personally I think that buying one of those is a rip off unless you can't get the homebrew programs to work.
There is nothing wrong with playing pokemon.
smileipb2.png
smile.gif

Mylar

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Thanks guys, I'll give the "NDS backup tool wifi" a shot this weekend. I was aware of it, but thought it was for ripping roms, did not notice the bit about being able to just quickdump saves.

Not so much a good parent, more that I have great kids. My daughter curbstomps my brother and I, but enjoys playing with us anyway. I agree there is nothing to be ashamed about in playing Pokemon, they are good solid games with a lot of depth. I'm just used to the reaction being either snickering or an "OMFG are you 12?" look. My son (3) is still playing the GBA games, but thinks it's great fun to watch his sister beat dad and their uncle consistently. He will be getting a DS for his 4th Bday, I'm sure he will follow in his sister's footsteps.

Watching my 6 year old go 3-2 in nationals in St Louis last year was great. AFAIK she was the youngest one there, competing vs mainly 10 - 12 year olds. She was 1 win away from getting flown to LA for worlds. She would have had it too, but the kid she was matched against in the third round (her first loss, very close match) got matched against her for the 4th round also and proceeded to destroy her as he already knew her team makeup.

You want to see the best sportsmanship and friendliest competition EVER, go watch the regionals next year if they are nearby. The kids emulate the anime so well it's scary, everyone is polite and friendly, no smack talk, giving each other advice and being gracious no matter if they win or lose. With as crazy as people get with kids sports, it's really nice to see a seriously copetetive field with none of the bad feelings and downright ugliness that usually comes with it.

DeltaBurnt

I'm bored
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Mylar said:
Thanks guys, I'll give the "NDS backup tool wifi" a shot this weekend. I was aware of it, but thought it was for ripping roms, did not notice the bit about being able to just quickdump saves.

Not so much a good parent, more that I have great kids. My daughter curbstomps my brother and I, but enjoys playing with us anyway. I agree there is nothing to be ashamed about in playing Pokemon, they are good solid games with a lot of depth. I'm just used to the reaction being either snickering or an "OMFG are you 12?" look. My son (3) is still playing the GBA games, but thinks it's great fun to watch his sister beat dad and their uncle consistently. He will be getting a DS for his 4th Bday, I'm sure he will follow in his sister's footsteps.

Watching my 6 year old go 3-2 in nationals in St Louis last year was great. AFAIK she was the youngest one there, competing vs mainly 10 - 12 year olds. She was 1 win away from getting flown to LA for worlds. She would have had it too, but the kid she was matched against in the third round (her first loss, very close match) got matched against her for the 4th round also and proceeded to destroy her as he already knew her team makeup.

You want to see the best sportsmanship and friendliest competition EVER, go watch the regionals next year if they are nearby. The kids emulate the anime so well it's scary, everyone is polite and friendly, no smack talk, giving each other advice and being gracious no matter if they win or lose. With as crazy as people get with kids sports, it's really nice to see a seriously copetetive field with none of the bad feelings and downright ugliness that usually comes with it.

Wow if my kid made it to regionals I would be so proud...well if I had a kid...

Anyways yah the backup tool should work just fine, it has some compatibility issues with the DSi though. So if you're using a DSi flashcart on a dsi just ask and I'll send you a link to a homebrew made specifically for backing up/restoring saves on the DSi.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    fuck ubisoft, and fuck activision
    +1
  • realtimesave @ realtimesave:
    Nintendo needs to release a new console, switch is getting such shitty little games lately lol it's pathetic
  • Purple_Heart @ Purple_Heart:
    Lmao a new flashcart... The Unlock Switch... I knew it's not fake xD
    +1
  • NinStar @ NinStar:
    A new consoles won't solve that problem
  • NinStar @ NinStar:
    It will actually make it worse
  • The Real Jdbye @ The Real Jdbye:
    well actually
    a new console won't do anything right now, because the games are still in development, that's why there are few games being released
    it won't make the games finish any faster
  • Veho @ Veho:
    2/3rds of launch titles for the Switch 2 will just be lazy ports of Switch games anyway.
    probably
    maybe mario kart 9 will be a launch title
    i really want a new mario kart
  • Veho @ Veho:
    What, you mean the endless stream of DLCs doesn't count?
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Why develop a new game when you can just sell season passes forever?
  • Veho @ Veho:
    I'm still on MKDS so I'm not bothered :tpi:
    i like the dlc tbh, i'd like a new game more
  • ZeroT21 @ ZeroT21:
    but the current version is still selling fine at full price
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    Hello
  • ZeroT21 @ ZeroT21:
    sup
    +1
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @realtimesave, You seen the Unlock Switch flashcart yet?
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    I'll see the 19.0 update that blocks use ability to it
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Lol newegg+
    Screenshot-20240423-053504-Gmail.jpg
  • S @ salazarcosplay:
    does update 19 really block it
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    Update 19 never came out yet. Just the 18.1.
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: Update 19 never came out yet. Just the 18.1.