OpenLara - GBA port

XProger

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Russia
Hi guys, I'm the lead developer of OpenLara engine.
More than year ago I released a tech demo, back then I was not sure that the GBA is capable for such game. But over time I improved my ARM skills, found new ways to optimize rendering and logic. The result is what I can honestly call an alpha version. There are many further improvements in the plan, as well as optimization of content and video to fit the entire Tomb Rader game in a 32 MB cartridge, but so far only 3 levels are available.

Last edited by XProger,

Der_Blockbuster

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
Hi guys, I'm the lead developer of OpenLara engine.
More than year ago I released a tech demo, back then I was not sure that the GBA is capable for such game. But over time I improved my ARM skills, found new ways to optimize rendering and logic. The result is what I can honestly call an alpha version. There are many further improvements in the plan, as well as optimization of content and video to fit the entire Tomb Rader game in a 32 MB cartridge, but so far only 3 levels are available.

Beyond Crazy seeing this game on a fricking GBA. Well done!

tatumanu

Trophies
XP
Country
Portugal
Ok this is pure black magic .... imagine this in 2002. Super impressed, congratulations! It's going to fit on a 32 mb cart? I think even doom was 64mb.... Unbelievable, I wish you all the best!

djpannda

GBAtemp's Pannda
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Image if you can time Travel and You presented this the Big N when GBA was released!! Any way really nice GBA is a beast, should of lasted at least a couple of more years... Pesky DS!!

DragonBoy

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Greece
What?! What kind of dark magic is this?! This is blasphemy... This is madness!!!

Seriously now... I can't believe that you;ve actually managed to do that on the GBA! I can't wait for the full release! Thank you soooo much for sharing! Impressive programming skills you have there!

N7Kopper

Lest we forget... what Nazi stood for.
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
What?! What kind of dark magic is this?! This is blasphemy... This is madness!!!
This... is... A VINTAGE MEME!

And OP is tapping into the same sorcery that lets the GBA be a GameCube controller.

Can someone with an Omega or something confirm if the rumble works? I can tell it doesn't work on the Game Boy Player because there's no splash screen to initialize GBP features.

Last edited by N7Kopper,
Reactions: DragonBoy

Technicmaster0

Trophies
Website
www.flashkarten.tk
XP
Country
Gambia, The
This... is... A VINTAGE MEME!

And OP is tapping into the same sorcery that lets the GBA be a GameCube controller.

Can someone with an Omega or something confirm if the rumble works? I can tell it doesn't work on the Game Boy Player because there's no splash screen to initialize GBP features.
It works with the Omega DE. Idk when it's supposed to rumble tho. It didn't rumble when I shot the guns but it rumbled when lara got hurt by arrows in the walls.

Reactions: XProger

manks

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Just played through the first level on Omega DE, so cool! I love that rumble is already implemented.

diggeloid

Alex
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
What a fucking legend.

I'd be fascinated in a write-up of how you optimized the rendering to run in real time. That's a lot of texture fetches and rasterization all being done in software on a single chip half the speed of the PS1. Even the PS1 was using a co-processor for graphics.

That GBA looks modded btw (the screen looks really nice). Is it overclocked too?

MikaDubbz

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Holy shit dude, this is fucking impressive. I know devs put out a few 3D games for the GBA in its time, but I honestly don't believe a single one of them looked this good.

Maeson

Trophies
XP
Country
Spain
I'm short for words to say how impressive this is, even more when we have stuff like the N-Gage's Tomb Raider to compare, and then see the difference in hardware for both systems.

It's honestly one of the craziest ports I remember as of late. Bravo.

Reactions: shaunj66

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Lol rappers still promoting crypto