1. ghjfdtg

ghjfdtg GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Basically all of the color correction options are destructive because of integer math. A 256 entry, 8 bit per color lookup table is generated from these options and set in hardware. Unfortunately there is no way whatsoever to calibrate the LCD panel itself which would give much better results with zero color banding.

2. cugel

cugel GBAtemp Regular

United States
    Thanks for this - I turned my outputgamma down from 2.2 to 1.8 and it looks way better.

3. Rahkeesh

Rahkeesh GBAtemp Advanced Maniac

United States
    You can drop the number lower to increase color saturation, but it also darkens things. I choose 1.8 to still keep things fairly visible in bright areas. Also not all GBA games had that huge brightness boost baked in.

4. AleronIves

AleronIves Advanced Member
    Newcomer

United States
    Are these options available in profi's current build or only in HTV's fork?

5. Rahkeesh

Rahkeesh GBAtemp Advanced Maniac

United States
    I got curious about the different refresh rates of these systems and am having a hard time finding anything.

The GBA runs at 59.73hz, looks like the DS is 59.82. Can't find the 3DS refresh rate.

What Im wondering is how these systems handle the discrepency in backcompat, especially open_agb_firm. Does it run at original GBA speed and framebuffer the difference? Does it raise the clock slightly to match the system's own refresh rate? Does it somehow lower the display panel's refresh to match?

Hinikah and MKKhanzo like this.
  6. ghjfdtg

The DS will double a frame sometimes (you can see this with rapidly flickering tiles/sprites). AGB_FIRM and the reimplementation seem to just alternate the LCD refresh rate between a slower and faster setting to match the GBA hardware output.

Rahkeesh likes this.
  7. zosxavius

zosxavius Newbie
    Newcomer

United States
    I believe I have an older build since it crashes with brightness over 64 set. The problem I have with this build is that it only shows so many GBA games. Looks like there is a hard limit to how many. I have like over 1000 in a folder and its showing up to letter H or so.

8. kid sampson

kid sampson GBAtemp Regular

United States
    How does this compare to VC injects and GBARunner2? Does it allow remapping buttons/inputs? (i.e. Y/B for B/A)

9. Kwyjor

Kwyjor GBAtemp Advanced Maniac

Canada
    It is pretty much equivalent to standard VC injects, so it should be more compatible than GBARunner2.

I don't think anything has been said about button remapping yet.

10. BETA215

BETA215 GBAtemp Regular

Argentina
    VC injects and OPEN_AGB_FIRM are essentially the same thing, both use GBA hardware inside the 3DS to run perfectly GBA games. But, OAF is like another operative system where you can choose which GBA game to boot instead of having to do a CIA for each game you want, without having to wait long times for games to boot.

Also, I'm sure in future versions there'll be some QOL enhancements added like button remapping. So it's an interesting project to keep track of, even if you don't find it quite interesting nowadays.

Hinikah, Robz8, Dartz150 and 3 others like this.
  11. kid sampson

kid sampson GBAtemp Regular

United States
    If button can eventually be remapped and it retains the compatibility of VC titles, this would be perfect! For now, I guess I'll stick with VC titles/injects for ease of launching games since they're accessing the same hardware.

12. ghjfdtg

Hinikah likes this.
  13. Hammyface

Hammyface GBAtemp Advanced Fan

United States
    I could have sworn I read somewhere that with OPEN_AGB_FIRM there was a way to change the display settings, namely making it so it doesn't take up the whole screen or even applying that "pixel grid" look so it looks more like a real GBA screen and closer to a 1:1 pixel ratio.

Is there any way to do this or did I read it wrong?

Hinikah likes this.
  14. BETA215

BETA215 GBAtemp Regular

Argentina
    Use this build: https://github.com/profi200/open_agb_firm/files/5816762/open_agb_firm.7z.zip. Rename .7z.zip to .7z and extract it.

Hinikah and Hammyface like this.
  15. SIXXBAL

SIXXBAL Newbie
    Newcomer

Japan
    Thank you, stranno
    Is there a filtering version of this build?
    I really like the previously posted "open_agb_firm1.firm"

16. SIXXBAL

SIXXBAL Newbie
    Newcomer

Japan
    I feel bad. I think my post was hard to understand.
    In the filtering version "open_agb_firm1.firm", the backlight cannot be set to "64" or higher.
    So the question was if there was a filtering version in the latest build.

17. THEELEMENTKH

THEELEMENTKH GBAtemp Advanced Maniac

Spain
    I wonder if this homebrew will include link cable/multiplayer capabilities in the future, even though I remember it being hard to emulate and things like that

Hinikah likes this.
  18. Lv44ES_Burner

Lv44ES_Burner Advanced Member
    Newcomer

United States
    If I remember correctly, it doesn't have the bare-metal access to those features in the GBA_FIRM mode. This is mainly just a way to boot games in that mode right now, and profi200 states on his Github page for the project that it's among a list of items that are unfeasible at the time to pull off with current understanding of how the software access works.

Not to say it isn't doable, as the list shows it just plainly states it instead of giving a direct reason, but it might take a long while. Such support will have to be baked in much, much later down the line. So we'll all be waiting patiently for it, it seems, a while longer now.

Hinikah and THEELEMENTKH like this.
  19. epistaxis

epistaxis GBAtemp Regular

United States
    Is there a way to manually edit your gba_db.bin?

Draft saved Draft deleted

Hide similar threads Similar threads with keywords - OPEN_AGB_FIRM, discussion, thread