ROM Hack Open source Snake game (ROM available)

veikkos

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Finland
I wrote a Snake game to PC as game programming practise years and years ago. Some time ago I decided to port it to GBA.

image.jpg

It's open source and completely free. Thought some of you might like it. You can download it from here. It's not "fixed" (no copyright issues) with Nintendo header. But it works with tested emulators and EZ-FLASH.

Feel free to post your high-scores here. But please note that since the code is open source it's very easy to cheat so take the results with grain of salt. :)

CMDreamer

Trophies
XP
Country
Mexico
I'd like to have some procedurally generated levels with obstacles and such, is that possible?

Thanks for sharing the source code!

Reactions: veikkos

veikkos

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Finland
Nice!

Have you thought about keep working on it? Adding stages with obstacles and things like that, for example.

I'd like to have some procedurally generated levels with obstacles and such, is that possible?

Thanks for sharing the source code!
Thanks for the feedback!

I ported the game to GBA already in May. I kinda thought that I'd be polishing it a bit before announcing it here. It still has those pointless "AI" modes which I tested just for fun. But I had also other projects so Snake was left at current 1.0 state.

I did consider obstacles and such but eventually did not implement them. GBA has technical limitations with sprite count which limits the amount of stuff on the screen including final snake length. Some compromises for obstacles could be found I'm sure.

Anyway, now I just decided that at least I'll publish what I did. I don't have further development plans but never say never. Also who knows if someone else wants to contribute or continue the project further?

CMDreamer

Trophies
XP
Country
Mexico
Thanks for the feedback!

I ported the game to GBA already in May. I kinda thought that I'd be polishing it a bit before announcing it here. It still has those pointless "AI" modes which I tested just for fun. But I had also other projects so Snake was left at current 1.0 state.

I did consider obstacles and such but eventually did not implement them. GBA has technical limitations with sprite count which limits the amount of stuff on the screen including final snake length. Some compromises for obstacles could be found I'm sure.

Anyway, now I just decided that at least I'll publish what I did. I don't have further development plans but never say never. Also who knows if someone else wants to contribute or continue the project further?

Regarding the "final snake length" and the limited resources of the GBA. Can you make it a "Blitz" version? One where we would need to make the snake as long as we can in a limited time (a minute or so, user configurable)? Something you could add is that the length of the snake gets reduced every 'N' seconds or something like that, so the sprite limit would (in theory) never be reached. I've many ideas but sadly can't program very well (or at all really).

Thanks for your answer.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: @salazarcosplay, Morning