Discussion Open Source emunand very soon!

Discussion in 'Switch - Emulation, Homebrew & Software Projects' started by iriez, May 6, 2019.

1. FajitaJohn

FajitaJohn Member

Newcomer
    Nov 1, 2018
    Austria
    Not taking any sides either, but never seen the point in any of those two.
    A 200GB MicroSD card is about 30€, Goldleaf/Tinfoil can install stuff over USB or you can FTP by now.
    Tbh I see a HDD or a USB Drive hanging on my Switch rather an inconvenience.
    But hey, I'm not judging, everyone should get what they want, be it free or paid...

But we shouldn't get too much off topic here.

Akira likes this.
  2. Akira

Akira I'm not a SHRIMP!!!!

Apr 28, 2013
    United States
    Lol, seems i managed to poke some fragile feelings. But its getting off topic now, don’t want this drama anyways :tpi:

3. ganons

ganons GBAtemp Addict

Jun 12, 2005
    But you will need extra storage when installing nsp games. It's not about installing from usb but playing from usb drives. As for the HDD, I thought it works only in dock mode which means not sticking out?

4. hippy dave

hippy dave BBMB

Apr 30, 2012
    United Kingdom
    Atmosphere (and therefore updated emunand) is supposed to be safe to use Nintendo online with if you're not using nsp, hacking online games or modifying profile pic etc, but it's also been mentioned that you will probably be able to boot a "near-stock" emunand with minimal patches.

lordelan and FajitaJohn like this.
  5. FajitaJohn

FajitaJohn Member

Newcomer
    Nov 1, 2018
    Austria
    The "Extra" Storage would take up about the same amount the XCI would take up on the card. Now, that part about the HDD: that makes sense, but since I only play the Switch handheld, I've totally forgotten about the docking possibility. But I think we should end the discussion about SX here and stop talking off-topic...

I was thinking more about people staying on lowest possible sysNAND (i.e. 1.0.0) to be able to boot into CFW withouth the need of a Jig and a PC/Dongle/Smartphone (I think this method is called warmboot?).
    To be able to stay on 1.0.0 (thus no fuse being burned) people would have to update without burning fuses, which also means every boot without RCM would burn them, thus every boot into Firmware higher than 1.0.0 would be into CFW with RCM enabled, which I have no idea if is detectable by Nintendo.

Did I get this right?

/Edit: After reading again, I've realised that going online with 8.0.1 + atmo wouldn't cause any problems if you're using, for instance, an original cardridge (talking about playing online).
    However, that would mean that the card reader would have to be updated as well, which would make it impossible to go back to 1.0.0 (or other firmwares lower than 8.0.1). Did I understand that correctly?

Last edited by FajitaJohn, Jun 12, 2019 at 12:34 PM
  6. gizmomelb

gizmomelb GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Jul 13, 2006
    Australia
    USB HDD Works in portable mode also. I took my Switch with a 4TB USB 2.5" self powered HDD with me on a 2 week cruise and directly plugged the HDD into the Switch and was able to mount the XCI files on the HDD. When I decided I wanted to play the game for longer (without the uSB HDD being connected, as it did suck power a lot quicker) I used an installer (not the built in SX OS installer.. it was either the SX installer v1.52 separate app from the SX OS web site, or it was Blawar's newer tinfoil from tinfoil.io ) to install the XCI (like an NSP file) from the USB HDD to the internal SD card.

USB support is about usability as well as having large collections of XCI files.

Now if only retro-arch supported USB - then we could have entire PSX bin/cue and Dreamcast ISO collections on the HDD as well.

— Posts automatically merged - Please don't double post! —

more like SX OS users sick and tired of bullshit comments and antics of haters.. we've listened to that shit for a year, got sick of it and bit back hard. Notice how there aren't many flare ups between CFW users here any more?

JoeBloggs777 likes this.
  7. ganons

ganons GBAtemp Addict

Jun 12, 2005
    Wrong, if you have say 10gb free space and the nsp game is 7gb, guess what, you can't install ot as you will need space for the nsp and space to install the 7gb game. With XCI you just drop it in and play and no install time needed.

But yea going off topic but had to correct the misconceptions.

8. Raugo

Raugo GBAtemp Fan

Nov 22, 2014
    Wrong, installing the nsp from USB you don't need extra space.

9. metaljay

metaljay GBAtemp Fan

Jan 10, 2012
    Who gives a fuck, get this shit out of this thread. It’s about emuMMC - nothing else! Jesus man

enarky, KirovAir and FajitaJohn like this.
  10. ganons

ganons GBAtemp Addict

Jun 12, 2005
    From microSD

11. hippy dave

hippy dave BBMB

Apr 30, 2012
    United Kingdom
    >installing from microsd in 2019

hallo23 likes this.
  12. b17bomber

b17bomber GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Jun 15, 2009
    United States
    using meme arrows in 2019

hippy dave likes this.
  13. Specced9

Specced9 Newbie

Newcomer
    Aug 27, 2018
    Finland
    M4XW has done some bounty-work, but yeah, anyone running Atmosphere should be a lot more grateful.

14. Hamdan

Hamdan Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Dec 14, 2018
    Pakistan
    2 Days Left ^_^
    right?

Last edited by Hamdan, Jun 13, 2019 at 1:05 PM
    Bst22322, Asia81, mathew77 and 2 others like this.
  15. budtoka420
    This message by budtoka420 has been removed from public view by porkiewpyne, Jun 13, 2019 at 4:07 PM, Reason: If you cannot post in a civil manner, don't bother posting at all.
    Jun 13, 2019 at 2:59 PM
  16. hippy dave
    This message by hippy dave has been removed from public view by porkiewpyne, Jun 13, 2019 at 4:07 PM.
    Jun 13, 2019 at 3:46 PM
  17. gizmomelb
    This message by gizmomelb has been removed from public view by porkiewpyne, Jun 13, 2019 at 4:07 PM.
    Jun 13, 2019 at 4:05 PM
  18. Justanotherfirefly

Justanotherfirefly Newbie

Newcomer
    Tuesday
    Germany
    So after this releases there won't be any need to send payload on every cold boot with auto RCM enabled ?

19. hippy dave

hippy dave BBMB

Apr 30, 2012
    United Kingdom
    This doesn't change how you boot from power-on, you'll still have to push a payload. If you want untethered cold-boot, get a modchip fitted.

20. Dave_Chad

Dave_Chad GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Jun 29, 2016
    Just putting it out there... This won't release on June 15th. It's too obvious. I'm going for 14th

Sent from my VOG-L09/Huawei P30 Pro

Refriger8tor and mingmong24 like this.
  21. Hamdan

Hamdan Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Dec 14, 2018
    Pakistan
    C’mon, c’mon. Releaseeeeee!

Refriger8tor likes this.
  22. sluggo

sluggo Member

Newcomer
    Thursday
    Ireland
    Be patient, if it’s going to release anytime soon it’s tomorrow.

Kubez likes this.
  23. essm1988

essm1988 Newbie

Newcomer
    May 9, 2019
    Italy
    I don't believe they decided to release it on 15th june and make a joke is real this time.