OoT Remake, additional content?

Discussion in '3DS - Games & Content' started by Puppy_Washer, Jun 18, 2010.

Jun 18, 2010
  1. Puppy_Washer
    OP

Member Puppy_Washer GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Australia
    Considering they have upped the graphics significantly from the original, added 3D, and it's (more than likely) a launch title for the 3DS, do you think it will contain additional content? Or, do you think they'll stay true to the original in every way?

Personally, I think that due to the fact that the 3DS has the accelerometer, the potential for additional excellent puzzles would be too great to not introduce more content. Much like Masterquest (although MQ had minor additions). And, surely Nintendo is a bit beyond doing a straightforward port.

Any thoughts?

2. nIxx

Member nIxx GBAtemp Maniac

Germany
    I think just wait it doesn´t make any sense to speculate about it now. Especially in this soon state

3. soulx

Member soulx GBAtemp Legend

Canada
    I suppose it'll just be a port with a few stuff remaked with better graphics and controls. They don't want to change the game from the original. Kind of like how Super Mario 64 was remaked for the DS. All the original features were kept intact with just a few graphical and design additions.
    If they changed it a lot, it wouldn't be considered Ocarina of Time, anymore.

4. PikaPerson01

Newcomer PikaPerson01 Advanced Member

United States
    If they add anything I hope it's just in the "minigames" section and they leave the main game exactly as it was. Of course... assuming it gets a Mario64DS style minigames section. Then again, I recall some higher up in Nintendo stating that they "didn't want to make ports" and would only transfer games if they could add something that would enhance the experience.

5. Puppy_Washer
    OP

Australia
    I agree, they shouldn't change a lot. The storyline, dialogue, characters etc, should all be the same, but I wonder if Nintendo will add anything? Perhaps make the running man beatable, haha! Or maybe just a few new puzzles. I think that with the 3DS's capabilities, it would be a shame to just make a graphically superior direct port.

6. granville

Member granville GBAtemp Goat

United States
    The designer did say he specifically wanted to redesign the water temple. Said he was unhappy with the final design, which he was forced to rush through and complete before it was finished. So you can expect a redone water temple at least.

I can imagine them redoing some of the dungeons and such. More than just what they said.

7. KingVamp

Member KingVamp Great... AETHER!

United States
    I can imaging Nintendo adding additional content.

8. Wekker

Member Wekker GBAtemp Fan

Netherlands
    it just looks like a simple port to me, just like mario 64 ds

9. Y05h1

Member Y05h1 GBAtemp Regular

Finland
    The mario 64 remake had significant differences (including 30 new stars), so I'd expect some changes and additions for the OoT remake. I doubt temples or anything to do with the main quest/storyline will be altered, however as stated new minigames could be expected, as well as something new similar to the Gerudo Training Grounds (also, hopefully they will make the ice arrows more useful...).

I'm expecting at least one new item, though nothing ground-breaking, more for fun/battle purposes (Possibly the prize for a new side-quest chain).

A new dungeon (maybe post-game) could be fun, though I doubt it. But I don't expect an entirely straightforward port with new graphics, rather some new.

Also, they are probably going to include a fortune-teller à la Twilight Princess, to give the option to players for easier heart-piece/skulltula collection. (Hardest Zelda game in my opinion to get all 20 hearts in...)

PS. A boss rush mode (Castlevania style) would be fun, although this is probably just wishful thinking...

10. soulx

Member soulx GBAtemp Legend

Canada
    I consider the secret stars minor. Most of them involved collecting red coins. Seemed like a lame way to prolong the game.

11. granville

United States
    There were some new courses as well, and of course 3 new playable characters. The secret stars i assume you mean silver stars. The red coin challenges were there already. Generally, the new stars they added either had you hunt for silver stars or beat a time limit back to the star. The new courses were generally for the unlockable characters, a few of which were kind of cool. Even catching all those rabbits was fun to unlock the minigames (and to its credit, this is the one minigame collection i actually enjoyed).

12. Y05h1

Finland
    Agreed, however they are completely optional as the game does not require all stars for completion. So for me they were a welcome addition, as they did not affect the original content. So anything similarly new in the Zelda remake is fine with me, as long as it is, again, optional.

13. Theraima

Member Theraima I own this desert, bitches!

Finland
    I heard and have read somewhere that the Water Temple was quite hard at the time.

Anyway, probably only something minor additions, no point changing too much if they say its a remake.

14. HaniKazmi

Member HaniKazmi GBAtemp Advanced Maniac

United Kingdom
    http://uk.ds.ign.com/articles/109/1099435p2.html

According to that, We're getting new content [​IMG]

15. flobo

Member flobo GBAtemp Regular

France
    Link's model seems different (more details) on the screens. And also, the 2d parts (like castle town) seem to have remade in full 3d (look inside the castle in one of the screen), that's already enough for me.

16. Puppy_Washer
    OP

Australia
    Yeah, I agree. Although, the extra stages, bosses, and characters (excluding the ridiculously overpowered Luigi) were excellent, although they didn't feel quite natural to the game. I hope they do a better job this time ensuring that the overall feel of the original is kept fully intact within the extra content.

As stated above, an extra optional quest for the OoT remake would be great, with perhaps an optional item/weapon.

Perhaps some very minor, subtle changes to the dialogue of the minor characters would be welcome as well.

I'm just thinking that even with the graphical update, I won't enjoy the game quite so much if it is an identical copy of the original. A few clever differences here and there would make another playthrough much better.

Of course, I'm still extremely pumped for it. Not knowing what they'll do is the most exciting thing. [​IMG]

EDIT: Sorry, didn't see the quote! Man, well, that settles it! I wonder what they'll change, and how much they'll change?

17. Y05h1

Finland
    Yeah, he does look more like like he does in the OoT artwork (which I absolutely adore, best Link design out of all the games I think). And really, they could keep the game the exact same, I would still purchase it to have a portable version. But every new addition is welcome [​IMG]

18. granville

United States
    All the models are better looking, and you're probably right about Castle Town being 3D (and the other indoor parts like Link's House). You mean this pic right?

[​IMG]

That in itself wouldn't confirm anything though, it's just on the outside. We need to see inside first, and this game is not the final product.

19. flobo

Member flobo GBAtemp Regular

France
    Yes, that's what i meant.
    It was crappy looking 2d from the outside of all zones in the original. There would be no point of generating a 3d castle town for people to see from far away and not from close IMO, but i could be wrong.

20. granville

United States
    I see good point. Well i think it's likely to be in 3D, unless they can produce high quality 2D. But that might not do well with the effect unless there are multiple layers.