Older version of 'Payday 2' to come to the Switch, confirms Starbreeze

payday 2 switch.JPG

After a gamer received an early copy of the game before its release and streamed it on YouTube, there was an outrage among fans anticipating the game on Reddit as the video apparently showed an older version of the game for the Nintendo Switch version.

The original post reads: “The end of heists screens lack the speed up feature which means it’s below version 124. But here’s the strange thing ... at 1h 13m 16s, he steps outside and the billboards use the NEW texture which was added in version 131 ... so the graphics have been updated but the game itself has not. That’s odd. But at 1h 16m 44s he’s blinded by a flashbang and there is no flashbang present. This means there’s no flashbang update, which was update 124. There is no possible way the game is above version 124.”

After being contacted by Polygon for some clarifications on the issue, Starbreeze had the following to say:

Payday 2 is releasing on Switch with content up to and including the ‘Most Wanted’ update, which is equivalent to the content released through mid-2017 on PC. PS4 and Xbox One received one additional update after that, the ‘Master Plan’ update, which released near the end of 2017. So Switch is one update behind other consoles, which are slightly behind PC.

The reasoning for the Switch content: we’re making continuous updates to a game that’s turning 5 years old this year, and to get the game out in early 2018 on Switch meant that our team had to go with the content ported and available at the time of console submission. The PS4 and Xbox One versions are now almost up to par with PC content, and Switch is close behind those versions. There are future content updates planned for Switch, as well.

So there you have it officially! The Switch will indeed have an outdated version of the game.

Payday 2 is set for a release on the Nintendo Switch on February 27.

:arrow: SOURCE

Taleweaver

Storywriter
Trophies
XP
Country
Belgium
Nice twisting of their words, mate. It isn't wrong, but it's all but an objective statement of the facts.

There are future content updates planned for Switch, as well.

Yes, the switch version is older. As in one version older than the newest...of a game that's apparently being updated for 5+ years. And the latest update(s) are equally confirmed for the switch as well as the other console ports.

I'm not really sure what you want starbreeze to do about the situation. Hold off releasing any updates when console ports are in the pipeline because reporters might bitch about their version not shipping with the latest version on the disc?

xtrem3x

Trophies
XP
Country
He didn't twist their words at all. Switch version will have the oldest version of any platform. Ergo the most outdated version. Sounds like you got a case of fanboyism.

The article is right but it has been written in a negative way that shuns the Switch version of the game making it seem inferior, when in reality they are just still working on it and there will be a patch some point after release to update it. Basically making an issue out of nothing, a bit like click bait :wink:

dimmidice

Trophies
XP
Country
Belgium
The article is right but it has been written in a negative way that shuns the Switch version of the game making it seem inferior, when in reality they are just still working on it and there will be a patch some point after release to update it. Basically making an issue out of nothing, a bit like click bait :wink:
It IS inferior. The fact that they'll update it in future doesn't change that.
Edit: Let me clarify. If i sell you a vacuum that doesn't work but say i'll fix it in 2 months doesn't mean your vacuum isn't broken when i sell it to you.
Now obviously this isn't so extreme. It's just a slightly outdated version, the game will work. But it is still the most inferior version that'll be available.

Last edited by dimmidice,

GSFanatic

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
From what I've seen from the video the game runs and plays fine, which is what I really care about. It is not a deal breaker to me if its not running the latest version as I've never played the game before. :)

Reactions: dimmidice

Taleweaver

Storywriter
Trophies
XP
Country
Belgium
He didn't twist their words at all. Switch version will have the oldest version of any platform. Ergo the most outdated version. Sounds like you got a case of fanboyism.
Fanboyism? Sorry, but you'll have to take my word for it that that I don't give a toss about the game (and don't even have a switch). The reason I'm saying it's a twist of words is, like @xtrem3x says, because it uses the facts and presents things in a completely different way than that it was intended.

It IS inferior. The fact that they'll update it in future doesn't change that.
Edit: Let me clarify. If i sell you a vacuum that doesn't work but say i'll fix it in 2 months doesn't mean your vacuum isn't broken when i sell it to you.
Now obviously this isn't so extreme. It's just a slightly outdated version, the game will work. But it is still the most inferior version that'll be available.
If this was a new game, I would agree to that (the first bunch of patches are usually the ones fixing major bugs and/or imbalance issues) . But it isn't. Again: this game apparently has seen 5 years of continuous bugfixes. At that point, your vacuum analogy is more akin to "you get a model of a vacuum cleaner that has been tweaked, upgraded and improved for 4 years...but instead of seeing that as a plus you put on a sour face because your neighbors have one that has a month of extra tweaking and tinkering". In other words: this representation attempts to make something into a problem that never was one in the first place.

TehCupcakes

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
This isn't uncommon for ports to start off on an older version. They will likely catch up with the rest of the console builds in due time. Regardless, it's still being shipped with a version recent enough that whining and moaning about it is unnecessary.

Maximilious

Whistles a familiar tune
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The fact this game is regularly available on PC for free through promos makes this a big deal. Why pay $40+ for an inferior game when they consistently update it on PC?

They have also lagged far behind on console patches, which is another cause for concern. PC is at least a full year ahead of all console versions of this game based on other factors users in the reddit post have pointed out. "Consoles have limitations" can't legitimately be used here for the XBONE/PS4 versions. Switch is understandable to an extent, features I can understand, bug fixes though? C'mon.

Just another example of a dev companies being greedy, aka rushing a product for a quick buck.

Reactions: Ace001

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: @K3Nv2, try SanDisk format tool?