Hacking Old School Newbie Questions - Upgrading from M3 SD

RickyEarl

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
I have an old M3 SD with the passcard adaptor. The setup makes my DS look like it's wearing headgear.

I'm wondering if I should upgrade to a Slot 1 card (R4/Simply, Real or CycloDS). Other than looking prettier, is there anything the Slot 1 cards do that mine won't?

Second question: What good does Passcard functionality do on these cards if they don't support GBA emulation? What do you use slot 2 for?

Sorry if these questions have been answered, but the GBATEMP search engine is telling me it's disabled. Feel free to point me to a link.

Thanks

budrow66

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Umm ya they have been awnsered but I'll take a stab at it.
1. Slot one card will not really do anything yours will not. They just do stuff faster,without patching and ez to use.
2. Passcard will do nothing for any of them. But the new slot-1s will do the job of your passcard and boot your M3SD without the headgear look.
Most slot 1 cards on the market will run just about anything NDS or HomeBrew Related but nothing ending in .GBA.
If you already have a Slot-2 you already have GBA support..

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
1. I still use an EZ4 as my primary card although the fact it is contained probably means something. Cheats, auto DLDI, better soft reset, better download play if you do not use flashme, perhaps SDHC (depending on your card of choice) and lack of any serious patching are the main reasons.
If you just want games and normal homebrew then probably not a lot will be different.

2. So you can launch DS code from your GBA cart. I agree in many regards it is no use but it is a standard feature it seems to people have it built in.

3. Searching, gbatemp allows search engine bots to crawl so add site:gbatemp.net to the end of your search at a search engine.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: Good night