Homebrew Discussion Old games, recently discoverd

notimp

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Laos
Whenever a few decent people start using emulators for a longer period of time, there is a chance that new old gaming pearls get discovered, rediscovered, or shared with others who didn't know about them before. Lets try to unearth some of them here. :)
Rules:
° List a gaming system that currently can be emulated on the Switch.
- You get 2 slots for "best games on the system" (you dont have to fill all of them, mark them with a *)
- You get up to 3 slots for "surprising or interesting titles" (you dont have to fill all of them, mark them with a -)
- You get 1 "honorable mention" (because there is always one more title to list.. , mark it with a + )

Feel free to add comments, as to why you picked a certain title.
Dont feel the need to post all gaming systems at once. Take your time. edits are welcome. :)

And now - go! :)

Super Nintendo (pSNES by cpasjuste)​
* Chrono Trigger (artdesign)
* The Legend of Zelda: A Link to the Past (gameplay, worldbuilding)
- Famicom Detective Club Part II (Graphic Novel, just something different)
- Shadowrun (Full modern open world RPG in 16bit)
- Marvelous: Another Treasure Island (Insane amount of well implemented systems, better puzzles than Zelda ;) )

Sony Playstation (Retroarch: PCSX Rearmed)​
* Metal Gear Solid (first proper use of cinematographics in a video game, plot/atmosphere)
* Final Fantasy 7 (either you love it for its setting - or you dont)
- Discworld Noir (Atmosphere, BGM, Humor)
- Persona 2 Eternal Punishment (Fully rotatable 3D environments, mature setting, bad translation)
- Policenauts (Atmosphere, Dialogue)
+ Chrono Cross (Artdesign, BGM)

ScummVM (ScummVM by cpasjuste)​
* Broken Sword (best point and click adventure ever made)
* Indiana Jones and the Fate of Atlantis (Indy, and overly innovative for the time)
- Gabriel Knight (Atmosphere, BGM, nonsensical pixelhunt riddles ;) )
- Lure of the Temptress (Old and atmospheric, elaborate gameplay for the time)
- Beneath a Steel Sky (Artdesign)

Sega CD (Retroarch: Genesis Plus GX)​
* Snatcher (Cyberpunk done right)
* Ecco the Dolphin (The compination of art and sounddesign - and gameplay ;) )
- Sherlock Holmes: Consulting Detective (has something to it... ;) )

DOSBox (Retroarch: DOSBox)
The games listed here most certainly dont work on the switch, since even PoP has problems running full speed. :)
- The Last Express (stutters quite a bit on the switch - but is a special gem of a game)
- Tex Murphy Games (Pandora Directive, Under a Killing Moon) (Same as above, not yet tested on Switch, but soonTM :))

edit: If a mod could fix the typo in the title it would be much appreciated. ;) (discovered)

Last edited by notimp,

iriez

Trophies
Website
www.xbins.org
XP
Country
United States
My #1 recommendation would be the langrisser series (strategy rpg). The first for Genesis came out in English but subsequent releases we're jap only. There are language patches for most of them.

I think most of the undiscovered jewels are foreign language games that were simply never translated and have been translated in the last 10 years do to emulators making things easy for everyone.

radicalwookie

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I started playing Chrono Trigger for at least 5 times back in the day. Never got into it. Then one day I said to myself “gotta finish it” and I absolutely loved it. Played on wiius retroarch :)

notimp

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Laos
My #1 recommendation would be the langrisser series (strategy rpg). The first for Genesis came out in English but subsequent releases we're jap only. There are language patches for most of them.

I think most of the undiscovered jewels are foreign language games that were simply never translated and have been translated in the last 10 years do to emulators making things easy for everyone.
Not only that - but there is usually also the odd genre title, that didn't quite hit top lists, and that some genre buffs know about, but others might not. If you get a few people into doing this, there should be quite an eclectic mix of titles out there after a while. :)

I mostly focused on story driven titles with great atmosphere or art design for example. :)

The idea for this thread came to me, when I browsed the Playstation disc dump database, and there where 9715 titles listed in it (incl different language versions) - I'm quite certain, that there are some titles amongst them that are worth to at least be recognized, but that I've missed so far. :)

Last edited by notimp,

baxzxd

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
You should add a genesis section with some Streets of Rage (Beat em up) and Fatal Labyrinth (?Roguelike i think its called)

notimp

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Laos
Everyone should feel free to pitch in. The idea was for other people to write down their selections as well. :) There will not be a "definite" list in the first post - the first post just represents an opinion. :)

nathanks

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
Everyone should feel free to pitch in. The idea was for other people to write down their selections as well. :) There will not be a "definite" list in the first post - the first post just represents an opinion. :)
Hello NOTIMP
I was doing searches online and this forum popped up. After reading a few posts I came across something you posted. And let me tell you that the way you conduct yourself is absolutely atrocious and you should be ashamed to write to anyone in the manor that you do. I think you should take some time to reflect on your actions as they are anti social at best. Oh and by the way people not reading old posts and asking questions with a new thread or post is a problem with all internet forums and to try to police such activity is a fruitless endeavor.

Good luck in life.
I hope you find happiness.

slaphappygamer

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
In no particular order

Atari2600
Dragster
Kaboom!
Keystone capers

NES
Desert commander
Gyromite - play this with your kids, if you have any. It’s pretty fun :)
Baseball stars
Baseball simulator
Karnov
Rodger rabbit

GENESIS
Kings bounty
Might and magic II
Shining in the darkness
Jordan vs bird
The lost Vikings
Zombies are my neighbor

Super Nintendo (I never had one, sooo....)
Super baseball simulator 1.000

I can add more as I remember them.

notimp

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Laos
Hello NOTIMP
I was doing searches online and this forum popped up. After reading a few posts I came across something you posted. And let me tell you that the way you conduct yourself is absolutely atrocious and you should be ashamed to write to anyone in the manor that you do. I think you should take some time to reflect on your actions as they are anti social at best. Oh and by the way people not reading old posts and asking questions with a new thread or post is a problem with all internet forums and to try to police such activity is a fruitless endeavor.

Good luck in life.
I hope you find happiness.
To make this a public statement. I will never react well to people demanding everyone to act PC (political correct), in face of the most low minded, self serving, abuse prone default there is.

This is the most close to source ("technical") forum there is in this field.

Why people think that this would be an ideal place, to air their "I didn't read up on things for six months, then I clicked on a bunch of menu items, then I had two firmwares on my device - no I want to update, and I dont want to talk to the commercial vendor, that sold me my piracy solution" summer adventure stories is beyond me.

I'm a person whose pity ran out, from being on the receiving end of abuse time after time again, while helping others out.

I will never react positively to peoples attempts to establish an abusive default ever again. And I'm sorry to tell you, but simply extracting support out of people you dont even care to get to know - qualifies as such, at least if you have no ability to give back, even potentially. And they never can reach you to ask for a favor in return.

What I wonder - openly - is how you can kick the guy, thats already on the floor and screaming for you to freaking stop with extracting help out of a community - without caring, where you do it, when you do it, how you do it - and still claim moral superiority.

If I am the worst of humanity (please put up poll) - it is as a reaction to what people in here would like to prolong. A smilie face society of willing helpers, that jump at your every needs - and that you can leave in the dirt, at your pleasure. While preventing people to actually be able to search and read up on stuff - because you needed to ad personal flavor ("my girlfriend updated my switch" meme) to make your support request more entising for people still reacting well to real life social cues.

Five days out of the week, this place feels like a charity - where the inpour of people maybe not that deserving of empathic assistence - never stops.

People that want to force you to adhere to that, by applying social preasure, so that they can prolong this without getting pushback in my mind are sadistic and cynical. But its the world is their playground. Because someone thought it would be a good idea - to connect thousands of help requestes, to a single human beeing, then give them anonymity - and pay the "helpful guy" and his peers nothing in return, whatsoever.

This is not community. And if a community cant deal with one critical voice - well then goodbye humanity, it was nice knowing you.

At least I acknoledge that you are not happy - and dont end with a "I wish you'd get happier soon" fake display of empathic behavior. Moral superiority is made more believable, if you actually from time to time show, that you feel what you are fighting for, employing some form of activism.

A fruitless endever it might be to teach every new voice, that you cant have everything, for free and personal, and with a smile, and without educating yourself first - but at least I am trying.

Also - thank you for ruining this thread (curiously enough a win-win attempt of community building, but no - scratch that, exile the notimp guy on PC grounds - moral outrage style) - because I was supposed not to react, right?

Baited.

Last edited by notimp,

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    OctoAori20 @ OctoAori20: Nice nice-