Question Okay so I made a HUGE mistake...

Discussion in 'Switch - Exploits, Custom Firmwares & Soft Mods' started by BLCKBLuR, Jun 13, 2019.

1. BLCKBLuR
    OP

BLCKBLuR GBAtemp Regular

Aug 11, 2016
    United States
    I know I am going to sound incredibly stupid for doing this.... but here it goes...

So two nights ago I modded my nintendo switch and a few people on this forum helped me out big time.

I backed up my RAW GPP , Boot0, and Boot1.

After backing them up with Hekate, There was soooo much information going on in my head from reading so many instructions, and talking to so many people on the forums about so many different things.... That I cannot remember where I saved my backup to, OR IF I EVEN SAVED IT TO MY COMPUTER AT ALL!!!!

So I am assuming my backup is still on my SD Card. Can someone help me out and explain to me if it is still possible to get my backup off my SD card, and if so, what directories on my SD card do I need to copy to my PC?

ALSO, If the backup is for some reason NOT on my SD Card anymore... can someone run me through how I can make a new backup, or get my old one back? if possible?

Thanks in advance, and sorry I am an idiot! lol

EDIT: Wait! I just remembered that I put the BACKUP folder on my external hard drive, I plugged in the hard drive and there it was. But can someone verify something for me? I just read a few mins ago that the backup should be 32GB. But I just checked my backup folder, and it says 29.1GB.

Is that okay?

Again.... sorry for being an idiot lol

Last edited by BLCKBLuR, Jun 13, 2019
  2. hippy dave

hippy dave BBMB

Apr 30, 2012
    United Kingdom
    Yep sounds right.

I think it's /bootloader/backups/ or thereabouts on your SD card if you want to look there too.

NoNAND likes this.
  3. BLCKBLuR
    OP

BLCKBLuR GBAtemp Regular

Aug 11, 2016
    United States
    Thanks a bunch, I am going to upload my backup to my google drive account when I go to bed tonight. Just in case something happens to my external hard drive one day ;]

— Posts automatically merged - Please don't double post! —

Hey also, off subject but do you know any way I can check my NSP's to see if any of them have brickware on them? I heard about all the fake NSP's/XCi's going aroudnthat are bricking peoples systems and I was told that I can check them with xci checker, etc... but I am not sure how to do so.

hippy dave likes this.
  4. micky johnston

micky johnston Member

Newcomer
    Jul 12, 2013
    United Kingdom
    Blackpool
    I thought there was only 1 that did that

Meepers55 likes this.
  5. BLCKBLuR
    OP

BLCKBLuR GBAtemp Regular

Aug 11, 2016
    United States
    Just because there was only one, does not mean it can't happen again. I am sure there will be more if it already happened once...

The world is evil buddy.

6. micky johnston

micky johnston Member

Newcomer
    Jul 12, 2013
    United Kingdom
    Blackpool
    It was pokemon if I remember correctly about 8 months ago and there haven't been any since. My response was to your says "all the fake nps/xcis" to my knowledge there hasn't been a fake xci and only the one fake nsp unless you include the brick code that was in a version of sxos.

Meepers55 likes this.
  7. BLCKBLuR
    OP

BLCKBLuR GBAtemp Regular

Aug 11, 2016
    United States
    It was pokemon let's go pikachu, and yes it was one, but it was uploaded on multiple websites, it's also STILL available for download ATM. since there is more than one copy, that means it is multiple XCi's/NSP's. My point still stands.

P.S - like I said, if it happened once, it can and most likely will happen again. The modding scene is never 100% safe and I would like to be able to check my XCi's and NSP's, is that a problem? lol Also, if there was no NEED for checking for brickware NSP's and XCi's then no one would be telling people to make sure they check their NSP's and XCi's.... which I have read on multiple websites already...

Bottom line is, I will check my files. You don't have to check yours if you don't want to.

Good day to you sir.

Last edited by BLCKBLuR, Jun 13, 2019
  8. micky johnston
    This message by micky johnston has been removed from public view by linuxares, Jun 16, 2019, Reason: Mentioning warez site.
    Jun 13, 2019
  9. BLCKBLuR
    This message by BLCKBLuR has been removed from public view by linuxares, Jun 16, 2019, Reason: Mentioning warez site.
    Jun 13, 2019
  10. Philliyxx

Philliyxx GBAtemp Regular

Sep 21, 2018
    United States
    Tinfoil will not let you install unsigned nsps unless you manually enter a code to allow it, this preventing brickware...and also homebrew, acidpatched games

Gold leaf does this to some extent to I believe

micky johnston likes this.
  11. micky johnston

micky johnston Member

Newcomer
    Jul 12, 2013
    United Kingdom
    Blackpool
    How would they check integrity of a new rom from a new release any quicker than reading comments from a forum that you got the game from?

12. BLCKBLuR
    OP

BLCKBLuR GBAtemp Regular

Aug 11, 2016
    United States
    Thanks for the info! THAT I did not know.

Because someone who comments that the XCi or NSP has bricked their nintendo switch, has to install the XCi or NSP and attempt to run the software, in order to find out their switch is bricked. Programs like XCi checker/NSPx/Switch Safety/NSP Verify, check the files MD5 hack and check the integrity of the file BEFORE it gets transferred to your switch. Therefor these programs can check the integrity BEFORe someone who has downloaded/transferred/installed/launched the game THEN bricked their console and THEN commented back on the website can.

Also its not just BRICKWARE these programs check for, they checl to see if the hash matches COMPLETELY 100%.

So let's say someone uploads an NSP that DOES NOT BRICK YOUR CONSOLE, but they injectedc some sort of malware or something small liek that, that runs in the background of your switch, or they injected some sort of bit miner that runs in the background of your switch whenever you have wifi enabled... like some people have on websites running in the background.

These programs would not be able to tell you EXACTLY what was on the XCi or NSP, but they would tell you that the hashes don't match the original, therefor you would know not to use those files on your switch.

13. micky johnston

micky johnston Member

Newcomer
    Jul 12, 2013
    United Kingdom
    Blackpool
    Sorry its taken mne so long. I have yet to download a switch rom with a md5 file attached

14. Dust2dust

Dust2dust GBAtemp Maniac

Jun 17, 2010
    Canada
    Another program that can check downloaded nsp and xci files for nasty stuff is NX Game Info.

15. BLCKBLuR
    OP

BLCKBLuR GBAtemp Regular

Aug 11, 2016
    United States
    Gonna try it out today, thanks ;]

You don't need an MD5 attached... You can create one.

16. der:Tom

der:Tom GBAtemp Regular

Oct 3, 2008
    Austria
    Said brick nsp had several fake comments like "works", "thx I'm playing atm" etc under the posting on Dumbra, it took a while till everyone realized what was going on cause let's be realistic, if the first few postings are positive feedback you don't read the follow up.
    So no, that's not always a save way especially with fresh 0-day releases

17. SomeGamer

SomeGamer GBAtemp Guru

Dec 19, 2014
    Antarctica
    But that defeats the very purpose of the hash verification.

micky johnston likes this.
  18. masagrator
    This message by masagrator has been removed from public view by Joe88, Jun 15, 2019, Reason: Off topic (You are allowed to say warez site names now fyi).
    Jun 15, 2019
  19. BLCKBLuR
    OP

BLCKBLuR GBAtemp Regular

Aug 11, 2016
    United States
    I am not talking about creating one from the file you downloaded....

That would be ass backwards...

Quick Reply
Draft saved Draft deleted