OK, so I got a wiikey

Discussion in 'Wii - Hacking' started by EnixBelmont, Feb 7, 2008.

Feb 7, 2008

OK, so I got a wiikey by EnixBelmont at 6:07 PM (1,201 Views / 0 Likes) 7 replies

1. EnixBelmont
    OP

Newcomer EnixBelmont Member

United States
    OK, all I want to do is play smashbros. I bought a wiikey and a tri-wing screwdriver. I have both the DVD9 and DVD5 versions of smash bros. What steps should I take to play them? I know installing the wiikey is the first thing, and I'm going to use the quicksolder method. I don't have a soldering iron right now - Where can I get one? I checked radioshack and they didn't have any. I assume home depot would be a good place to look? What kind should I get?

Once its installed, I update the wiikey with a disc, to 1.9, right? My wii is already 3.1U.

Then would it be a good idea to insert the DVD5 first, update to 100%, then use the DVD9 from then on?

2. arctic_flame

Member arctic_flame GBAtemp ATMEGA8 Fan

United Kingdom
    If you've never soldered before, practice on something small. I've seen people recommend old PC cards. I also recommend that you use a wired or "short wire" method of installation, so if you need to remove the chip at a later date, it's not too difficult.

3. noONE

Member noONE ~~~~~~~~~~~~

Sweden
    You should update to Wiikey 1.9G and after that use Config Disc 1.3 to turn region override to ON.
    about the DVD5/9 question, i think you can just use the DVD9 from start.

4. sidneyyoung

Member sidneyyoung GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Bermuda
    You have 2 options,

1) go in to the job 'hoping' you can do it

or

2) go in to the job 'knowing' you can do it

If you prefer option 2 then practise first ,as already suggested. Some old ide (or whatever) wire and some old pc parts will do, also read this guide hxxp://soldering.tehskeen.com/ and also any other guides you come across.

5. Social0

Member Social0 GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Belgium
    ah man, get a pro to install it, you'll be glad to have it done right cause the chance is high that you'll mess up badly and burn of some solder pads

6. EnixBelmont
    OP

Newcomer EnixBelmont Member

United States
    I would get a pro to do it, but where the hell can I find a pro that would install it for me? I don't know anyone with soldering experience.

7. arctic_flame

Member arctic_flame GBAtemp ATMEGA8 Fan

United Kingdom
    Do as sidneyyoung suggests and

1) Practice
    2) Read Tehskeen's guide.

8. taggart6

Member taggart6 GBAtemp Fan

United States
    You could also mail it to a moder who will do it for. That is a popular method used by many people on this forum who are unable to find a local modder. Otherwise, try looking in Craigslist.

I would also advise not doing the quick solder method. It'll be near impossible to get the wiikey off if you ever need to. 30-32 AWG wires are the way to go.