OGMKDS Tournament: rules, registrations...prize!

S

spectral

Will people stop moaning, whether you believe its fair or not is irrelevant. This is a gbatemp tourny and they decide the rules they want, its as simeple as that. They could say you have to drive round backwards if they wanted. If you dont like the rules dont join in.

Kyoji

ウッーウッーウマ
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
And don't tell me "learn snaking". I'm not writing this post in french and telling you "learn french".
Now if you're a good player, you can play without snaking.
Not pretending I'm a good player, I've personnally been able to beat all 150cc mirror cups without snaking (BUT using drift boosting in corners!) quite easily.
If you're a good player, you should know all the courses. You should know the shortcuts, you should know the cars, you should know the boxes, you should know everything. But you certainly don't need snaking.
Amen!

Snaking isnt even needed to get three stars on alot of the missions...just ask Zarcon
wink.gif

I beat all cups at all speeds without snaking, and only have about 7 or so cups that I havent at least earned a star in. Its completely unneccesary, save for against some of the staff ghosts.

jumpman17

He's a semi-aquatic egg laying mammal of action!
Former Staff
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Will people stop moaning, whether you believe its fair or not is irrelevant. This is a gbatemp tourny and they decide the rules they want, its as simeple as that. They could say you have to drive round backwards if they wanted. If you dont like the rules dont join in.

Someone get this guy a cookie!
wub.gif

754boy

:D
Banned
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States

Well I agree with that but all I'm saying it don't water down the games!!

Deletable_Man

Old Man
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Sigh... this kinda thing always happens with online games.

Examples:
Using an AWP in Counter Strike
Using the rail gun in Quake3/4
(I play a lot of FPS games; those first came to mind)
Disconnecting in a race (MKDS, NFSU1) to avoid a loss

I'm sure there'll be a technique or a weapon in the Metroid DS game when it comes out that half the people will complain about too. Personally, I'm one who votes for using these "cheap" tactics as they are called, because they are part of the game, and part of mastering a game is using it to it's full extent, whether it was intended or not.

Oh and btw come up with a better argument than "not the way it was intended" (this is to anyone), because you really have no clue how devs intended the game to be played. I don't care if your friend's cousin's aunt supposedly works for Nintendo, either.
rolleyes.gif

S

spectral

Actually I am of the opinion snaking was intended especially since the staff ghosts do it.

MonkeyHead79

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
this sucks
snaking is not a cheat, it's a part of the gameplay...you can't even get 3 stars in mission mode without snaking

I certainly won't take part in a tournament in which I'm not even allowed to do my best...
About that 3 stars thing: FALSE. Snaking just makes a good number of the missions way too easy.

It's true that it has become a technique in the game, thanks largely to people who were so obsessed with getting good times that they found it possible to accomplish. But snaking is NOT a staple part of Mario Kart, nor has it ever been. YOU CAN RACE WITHOUT SNAKING. You can also beat the missions without doing so. Powersliding was intended to get you through the corners, not exploit an ability to give yourself constant boosts. I just pray that it's not so exploitable in Mario Kart Revolution, or the online aspect is going to be ruined for those of us who don't feel the need to snake.

I just think snaking is EVIL, because it was never needed before, and the only reason it's ever needed now is because you don't stand a chance against certain racers online if they snake too. It's an evil that breeds more evil. THERE'S NO STOPPING IT!!! AAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH2354#@^#$QVT yreYEGRGASDFTG
wacko.gif

phuzzz

Hooha!
Former Staff
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
A reminder, you don't have to stop snaking. You can snake anytime you go up against somebody. However, to compete in OUR tournament, in GBAtemp's tournament, you can not snake. We make the rules of our tournament. If you want to have tournament where snaking is allowed, then by all means make one.

Zarcon

.:~Enigmatic Wanderer~:.
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Yea, tournaments tend to have limitations anyway.
Like how in CCGs some cards are banned from tournaments or have a limit on how many you can have per deck.
I'm sure there are plenty of other examples but they escape me at the moment.

Point is, this is a tournament with certain limitations. If you don't want to enter then just don't enter instead of complaining. Besides, if you're awesome with snaking you should still be able to beat others on even grounds right?

(Oh yea, CS knife only rounds, you COULD pull out a gun, it's obviously built into the game, but everyone would hate you for it.)

raypou

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
just a quick advisory for any judges...if you stay still, i.e. no input, for more than 30 seconds, you will be auto disconnected...happened to me once when this guy was going backwards on the track, so i started typing to a friend while just sitting there, and got disconnected

Opium

PogoShell it to me ™
Former Staff
Trophies
Website
www.gbatemp.net
XP
Country
Australia
just a quick advisory for any judges...if you stay still, i.e. no input, for more than 30 seconds, you will be auto disconnected...happened to me once when this guy was going backwards on the track, so i started typing to a friend while just sitting there, and got disconnected

Yes we are aware of that. Staff will be idling on the side of the track. but we'll move forward and back slightly so we don't get disconnected
smile.gif

PuyoDead

Hey! Hey! Oh!
Trophies
Website
www.flickr.com
XP
Country
United States
If you guys feel that you need to use snaking to win, then I feel sorry for you. You should still be able to win with superior driving skills. We'll all be on even ground, so you should still have an advantage just by being the better player.

I'll certainly be taking part in this tourney, minus snaking. I can do just fine without it.

xflash

Local Ninja
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Norway
happened to me once when this guy was going backwards on the track, so i started typing to a friend while just sitting there, and got disconnected
i think that was me lol i was trying to freak out my opponents on the first race to gain an advanatge on the second

anyway im in even thught i don't need the prize lol by the way about the snaking is it allowed to snake at those turns at 8-figure circut (aka is it allowed to snake in turns?)

Zarcon

.:~Enigmatic Wanderer~:.
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Hmm, I figure as long as you're mini-turbo'ing into a curve it should be fine.
(IE, don't mini-turbo on a straight away since there's no curve to mini-turbo into, don't mini-turbo away from the curve because that's not going into the curve and is kind of dumb at the same time.
tongue.gif
)

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: He's old they're already roasted +1