Hacking OFW and CFW update questions

nodnyl10

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Hi, i have a Switch with Current version 10.0.4 | AMS 0.14.4|E and i want to update to the latest possible. I know how to update Atmosphere because i have done it before, but the OFW is a bit difficult.

I updated back then using normal method. I boot to OFW and turned on wifi, go to System Settings and updated from there. I restored Atmosphere and stuff but i lost all my games as in everything. I had to also reformat my SD card just to get everything back and i barely made it.

So my question is, is there any other way or method to update OFW / CFW safely without losing anything? I cant play Monster Hunter Rise and latest Mortal Kombat 11 update because of my current firmware.

Reactions: tabzer

petspeed

Trophies
XP
Country
Denmark
What you experienced shouldn't happen just by updating the OFW. Did you restore EmuMMC or recreate EmuMMC in the process back then?
If your SysMMC is clean (meaning no CFW and no installed NSP's) you can just boot your switch normally (without CFW) and update via Nintendo's servers.
When that is done update Atmosphere and then update EmuMMC with Daybreak. You can either download the firmware from Darth's website or dump it from you own SysMMC.
Here is a guide to help you: https://nh-server.github.io/switch-guide/extras/updating/

Last edited by petspeed,
Reactions: nodnyl10 and tabzer

nodnyl10

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
What you experienced shouldn't happen just by updating the OFW. Did you restore EmuMMC or recreate EmuMMC in the process back then?
If your SysMMC is clean (meaning no CFW and no installed NSP's) you can just boot your switch normally (without CFW) and update via Nintendo's servers.
When that is done update Atmosphere and then update EmuMMC with Daybreak. You can either download the firmware from Darth's website or dump it from you own SysMMC.
Here is a guide to help you: https://nh-server.github.io/switch-guide/extras/updating/

I followed this guide but i think i missed a few parts. For some odd reason i don't have sysMMC or I dont know if I can boot into it and i think i missed installing TegraExplorer. Also I did not restore emuMMC or anything. When I saw my games are gone, i tried to re-install all of them but none of them worked so i had to format my SD card and start all over from the beginning.

In any case, so basically i just need boot normally without CFW and then update my Switch via Nintendo Servers (via System Settings). After that I can still boot to my Atmosphere via RCM (and dongle or whatever) right?

Last edited by nodnyl10,

petspeed

Trophies
XP
Country
Denmark
I followed this guide but i think i missed a few parts. For some odd reason i don't have sysMMC or I dont know if I can boot into it and i think i missed installing TegraExplorer. Also I did not restore emuMMC or anything. When I saw my games are gone, i tried to re-install all of them but none of them worked so i had to format my SD card and start all over from the beginning.

In any case, so basically i just need boot normally without CFW and then update my Switch via Nintendo Servers (via System Settings). After that I can still boot to my Atmosphere via RCM (and dongle or whatever) right?
If you only use CFW in EmuMMC and your SysMMC is clean then yes.

nodnyl10

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
If you only use CFW in EmuMMC and your SysMMC is clean then yes.

I get it now what you're trying to tell me and thank you so much. Last question. I downloaded Firmware 12.0.1 from Darth's, is it possible to not update my Switch OFW via Nintendo System Update and just use the one from Darth's and daybreak it on my emuMMC? I mean is that possible to go straight to updating emuMMC? I already updated my Atmosphere earlier today.

petspeed

Trophies
XP
Country
Denmark
I get it now what you're trying to tell me and thank you so much. Last question. I downloaded Firmware 12.0.1 from Darth's, is it possible to not update my Switch OFW via Nintendo System Update and just use the one from Darth's and daybreak it on my emuMMC? I mean is that possible to go straight to updating emuMMC? I already updated my Atmosphere earlier today.
Yes that is possible. Only thing you need to be aware of is that if you do that then the gamecard slot will not work in EmuMMC, only in SysMMC. However that can be reversed to it only works in EmuMMC and not in SysMMC if you prefer. If you need it to work in both then you have to update both.

nodnyl10

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Yes that is possible. Only thing you need to be aware of is that if you do that then the gamecard slot will not work in EmuMMC, only in SysMMC. However that can be reversed to it only works in EmuMMC and not in SysMMC if you prefer. If you need it to work in both then you have to update both.

Alright, you sir just saved my ass (can we say that here?). I got all i needed and yes, i will definitely consider all what you have provided to me. As for the Game Card slot, I dont think i will be needing it to work, but never say never. Time to update!

tabzer

This place is a meme.
Trophies
XP
Country
Japan
is it possible to not update my Switch OFW via Nintendo System Update and just use the one from Darth's and daybreak it on my emuMMC? I mean is that possible to go straight to updating emuMMC? I already updated my Atmosphere earlier today.

Why would you update emuMMC f/w and not OFW?

nodnyl10

OP
Trophies
XP
Country

From my understanding, emuMMC is the one where we can go wild and do anything. So I wanna update it since I'm playing my games in emuMMC and some games are getting to the point where firmware needs to be updated. Monster Hunter Rise needs to be at 10.2.0 and i am currently at 10.0.4 only.

Are there any cons on just updating emuMMC? Should I update both?

petspeed

Trophies
XP
Country
Denmark
From my understanding, emuMMC is the one where we can go wild and do anything. So I wanna update it since I'm playing my games in emuMMC and some games are getting to the point where firmware needs to be updated. Monster Hunter Rise needs to be at 10.2.0 and i am currently at 10.0.4 only.

Are there any cons on just updating emuMMC? Should I update both?
Only con is about the gamecard slot as I mentioned.
When you use EmuMMC for CFW and keep SysMMC clean then SysMMC is normally used for legit games where you want to play online. And online play usualy require you to be on the latest firmware.

Don't really see any reason

Reactions: tabzer and nodnyl10

nodnyl10

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
When you use EmuMMC for CFW and keep SysMMC clean then SysMMC is normally used for legit games where you want to play online. And online play usualy require you to be on the latest firmware.

Thank you for this elaborate explanation.

tabzer

This place is a meme.
Trophies
XP
Country
Japan

Don't really see any reason

My concern is that if in such a scenario of having a gamecard in the slot during OFW, it would crash and log the error--and it would be an impossible scenario which Nintendo could flag (not that I think they are looking for it).

Last edited by tabzer,
Reactions: petspeed

nodnyl10

OP
Trophies
XP
Country

I got a problem. I was able to update 12.0.1 and AMS M.19.1 but as I was starting my games, it says Unable to start software. What do i do?

petspeed

Trophies
XP
Country
Denmark
My concern is that if in such a scenario of having a gamecard in the slot during OFW, it would crash and log the error--and it would be an impossible scenario which Nintendo could flag (not that I think they are looking for it).
I would make sure that the gamecard work in SysMMC in that scenario. Then it could only crash in EmuMMC where I use incognito and DNS mitm.

tabzer

This place is a meme.
Trophies
XP
Country
Japan
Errr where do I get them? Sorry I had to be spoon fed like this, I just really don't know much about these things.
Search sigpatches in google. Should be the first result. Exhumer retains a github repo. If that doesn't work, there might be other sources.

Reactions: nodnyl10

nodnyl10

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
I would make sure that the gamecard work in SysMMC in that scenario. Then it could only crash in EmuMMC where I use incognito and DNS mitm.

Search sigpatches in google. Should be the first result. Exhumer retains a github repo. If that doesn't work, there might be other sources.

I DID IT!!! I got the sigpatches updated, i updated goldleaf and quark as well. I was able to play games, tried to install games as well and it worked. Then moment of truth, i tried Monster Hunter Rise and it also worked. EYAHOO!!! Thank you so much both of you!

Reactions: petspeed and tabzer

tabzer

This place is a meme.
Trophies
XP
Country
Japan
I DID IT!!! I got the sigpatches updated, i updated goldleaf and quark as well. I was able to play games, tried to install games as well and it worked. Then moment of truth, i tried Monster Hunter Rise and it also worked. EYAHOO!!! Thank you so much both of you!
Update is supposed to drop soon. Imo, it's worth buying to play online.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: https://youtu.be/9kE3Env_2AY?si=Bs6lUZ0ZIlqmYaGT