Official or Waninkoko update ?

Discussion in 'Wii - Hacking' started by superbob, Jul 19, 2009.

Jul 19, 2009
  1. superbob
    OP

Member superbob GBAtemp Regular

France
    I'm currently on 3.3v1 (without October fix) with an old version of HBC and I'd like to upgrade to 4.1 (to have SD menu).
    As I want to do the less modification possible on my Wii, I'd prefer using official update but since I'll patch IOS60 maybe I should use Waninkoko 4.1 updater.
    That's why I'd like to know what precisely are the differences between an official update and waninkoko update (except for IOS60 patching) ?
    I've read in some threads that Waninkoko prevents official patching of some stuff, but I'd like to know what is concerned ?

Note: I've asked the question in an other thread, but as it was not the primary subject, I think it's more appropriate to start a new one.

2. Det1re

Member Det1re det1re.de

Germany
    The Nintendo one patches old IOS to disable trucha, while Waninkoko's only installs IOS new to your Wii.

3. olliepop2000

Member olliepop2000 GBAtemp Fan

United Kingdom
    and puts the trucha bug back in to them.

4. Jeomite

Member Jeomite GBAtemp Regular

United States
    Is it easier now to simply use Nintendo Update Server and run Trucha Bug Restorer (since it works up to 4.1 now)??

5. superbob
    OP

Member superbob GBAtemp Regular

France
    So that's why guides tell to patch IOS35 and/or IOS36 an a virgin 4.0 Wii (I didn't truly understand why)
    Nintendo has surely changed version numbers to the patched IOSes, is there a risk for games that use them to malfunction ?
    Well, I'm not sure I'll update now, because I don't really need it ATM. It was just to be up to date.

Thank you anyway!

6. pm_41

Member pm_41 GBAtemp Regular

United States
    Just use Nintendo's update, reinstall stuff like cIOS and DVDx, and go! [​IMG]

7. Lakerfanalways

Member Lakerfanalways GBAtemp Advanced Fan

United States
    I was thinking about upgrading too. I am currently on 3.4U..I have the Wii soft modded and I also have the Wii Mod Chip(D2Pro version) today I got a notification from the Wii telling me to update to 4.1..on my Wii I have the Backup Launcher, and the Homebrew Channel(I had help installing the soft mod to begin with so I have no idea about these CIOS and stuff like that) on my SD Card I have some IOS on them IOS16.wad, IOS38-64-v3609, IOS53-64-4113, IOS55-64-4633 and IOS249-r7
    I assume I have these all installed on the Wii since they are on my SD Card, a few months ago I had an issue with a game not working right now I put in some IOS file(dont remember which one) and the game worked fine. I'd like to update the Wii since it's always good to update but I dont want to worry about the Wii Bricking.
    I was reading posts about people who don't have certain things on their Wii before they upgrade and then they have a bricked Wii so I dont want that issue. Just want the simplest way possible to update. Thanks